Further troubleshooting

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Further troubleshooting

Unread postby Clevinger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 am

I went on another unsuccessful coyote hunt last weekend, failing on four different sets. The most I got was one to howl back at me a couple of times.

I had gone with a foxpro, used scent-a-way odorless spray, used a boot dryer, used the wind correctly, and went in for snow camo. Despite all that...nothing to show for.

I am new to predator hunting, but how often do you guys get burned on your sets?

What else should I do? :violin:

gogebicbuckslayer

Re: Further troubleshooting

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 am

Never give up! For example, Tim wells a pro will tell ya that he is successful 1 in 6 hunts. Sounds like you had them in your area howling back that's exciting. Give it some time switch up your set ups and you will get one. Good luck hunting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 am

i think my success rate is about 1 in 20
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 am

I feel you. I think Dan had mentioned it before, that yotes are not always in the same location at a given time. They may be in your location on one day, but may take a different territory the few days. It's a matter of timing. For example, I went out a few months ago and got 2 then went back the few days and didn't see or hear anything. I returned a couple days later and they were howling at me all morning.

I went out this morning shed hunting/ yote hunting, and had 2 yotes come straight at me closing in at 20 yards downwind of them. I grabbed my pistol and put the bead on them and no fire. I tried again, no fire. I got back to the house and chambered it a few times and it was fine. My problem was I just wasn't pulling the trigger back far enough. :lol:. Know your equipment! It's a new pistol and haven't quite figured it out yet. Anyways, I'm going back tomorrow morning with the .222 and dropping them. If they are there. Lesson here is don't give up!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:51 am

You have to stay committed and work out the problems.

Maybe your moving too soon.

Maybe your calling too much.

Gotta sit still.

Keep at it!

Local sporting goods store?
Try to find a few other predator hunters and talk to them....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

1/20 success, Dan? That's really helpful. Maybe part of my problem is I've watched too many edited hunting shows/videos where it makes it look like they come right in.

I try to spend 45-60 minutes on each set. I do call regularly with the foxpro, but I'm in a wooded area and figured it would help them out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:49 am

Its different everywhere you go.. Some places have great success rates and even good daylight calling. It is very tough to get them to come in in day light here...

I went out a couple days ago and called in a spot with a ton of sign.. Did not see or hear a thing.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 am

I am still a V at it too. And I have spent a few seasons at it. I enjoy getting out and dont put a lot of pressure on myself.

It took me some time (5-6 yrs) to where I got a deer or 3 every year, same with turkey. I have been reading studying, scouting and getting all my unsuccessful hunts out of the way for coyote and bobcat. Spent all day friday trying to get a bobcat up north. Cut a track but that was about it. Went in totally blind but sure enjoyed the day, and got to see some country I never set foot in before.

Keept at it and it will happen, hopefully you feel challenged. Lots of learning before predators come easy.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”