Best all around gun

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Best all around gun

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:52 am

.223 no bark, but it bites when it connects :mrgreen:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:48 pm

If you are not looking to save coyote pelts, just get whatever good deer rifle you want and use it for coyotes. No reason to get a smaller caliber.

Just for a pure coyote gun it really depends on what type of cover you are in. For instance calling coyotes in the usual cover east of the Mississippi, holding tight groups at 200 or 300 yards is irrelevant. My brother's (far more hard core coyote hunter than me) bread and butter coyote gun is a 9mm hipoint carbine given he never gets a shot beyond 150 yards, usually less than 100 but too often a little too far for a shotgun. They retail in the $300 range...so you can buy at least half a dozen of them for the price of an AR ;) I won't start on how I think ARs are way over-rated for hunting :lol:
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:23 pm

JoeRE wrote:If you are not looking to save coyote pelts, just get whatever good deer rifle you want and use it for coyotes. No reason to get a smaller caliber.

Just for a pure coyote gun it really depends on what type of cover you are in. For instance calling coyotes in the usual cover east of the Mississippi, holding tight groups at 200 or 300 yards is irrelevant. My brother's (far more hard core coyote hunter than me) bread and butter coyote gun is a 9mm hipoint carbine given he never gets a shot beyond 150 yards, usually less than 100 but too often a little too far for a shotgun. They retail in the $300 range...so you can buy at least half a dozen of them for the price of an AR ;) I won't start on how I think ARs are way over-rated for hunting :lol:

I'd have to disagree on that Joe. You could put a carbine AR together for around 500 that will do jumping jack's around that hi point. And everything on that AR is changeable and you could upgrade components . Hi point is well always going to be what it is and is a blow back semi automatic I'll take a gas system any day of the week in cold weather. Especially vs. a cheap blow back system. Were tolerance and fit aren't the chief concern. You could be lucky or it could wear in nice or it becomes a jam machine. I have hi points fun gun to play with but not any were near best all around.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:14 am

Yea I won't argue with you Kurt, I am not really a rifle man. You probably know better than I.

My brother has tinkered around with downloading his .308 and using that load for yotes, I think its around 2.400 fps and results have been minimal fur damage and extremely good stopping power so far. Dead Right There with most body shots. So I still think getting whatever deer rifle you want and then just picking the right load for coyotes is better than trying to compromise.

Or just get 2 guns, because that's always better than 1 gun :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:28 am

I used to really enjoy varment and deer hunting with a 257 Roberts when I was younger. Wish I still had that gun
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 am

2506 or 270 they are very flat shooting downrange. They are also great deer rifles.

If i buy another Rifle itll be a 2506
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”