Who has killed a coyote with a bow?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killed a coyote with a bow?

Yes I have.
53%
No I have not.
47%

Total votes: 125
utica19

Re: Who has killed a coyote with a bow?

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Shot this one while deer hunting in 2013 i believe. He came I'm on a trail initially smelling where about 10 turkeys had just walked through. He stood there a minute then ran off the way he came. About 5 minutes later, I had to take a leak...so I did. As I was zipping up, I look up and here comes the Yote about 50 yards out on a string! Straight in...Stops broadside at 18 yards, looking in the exact same direction where he initially came in, which was about 30 yards upwind of me now.
I'm convinced he heard the pee on the leaves and it sounded like a turkey or critter running on the leaves. He lunged forward about 20 yards and did a few 360's before expiring.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't know how many exactly but a good handful. When i switched from recurve to compound a few years ago due to an injury, the first 3 shots at fur were coyotes, and drilled all 3. I then missed my chip shot at a buck for my 4th shot at fur that season, which was my first missed shot at a deer.

I shot 2 with my recurve calling them in during a winter break from college years ago. Bright moon, snow covered ground, shot them at night. After i shot the female, the male wouldn't leave her, so was able to double up. I was a pretty excited 19 year old that night...drove straight to a party and celebrated HARD.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:44 am

Spysar wrote:Has anyone killed a yote while hunting for yote with a bow? Or all kills incidental while deer hunting?

All of the ones I've shot with a bow, have been incidental while deer hunting.

Oh, and I don't shoot any animal in the guts on purpose.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:23 am

Bucky wrote:I shot and hit 3 in one hunt... only found 2 of them. I shot the alpha female and the pack kept circling my stand... it was creepy!

That is creepy. I had 4 go by my deer stand about 10 years ago right at dark. I was wrapping the hunt up for the day and a yote goes by the stand. I had my release off. About 10 seconds later another yote goes by on the same path. I was thinking this is really weird. Anther 10 seconds goes by and another yote goes by. I'm thinking to myself there can't be a forth as I put my release back on. Sure enough a forth goes by and I gave him a carbon greeting card. I waited till the next morning to retrieve him.

I enjoy watching yotes and how they act. Broken the monotony of a slow hunt many times over the years.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:24 am

I shot this one in October. He had a pretty good coat so he's getting tanned. I was deer hunting when the opportunity arose, so I gave it a shot. Very memorable hunt for me. I've had many within range - usually hard to draw on.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 am

I have had plenty of opportunities but let them go. Last thing I want is a dead coyote laying around my stand and racket associated with a shot when I'm waiting for a buck to come from a bedding area.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

I've missed one before, under 20 yards. Not sure how i didnt hit him. That's it.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:50 pm

I have shot several, from stand. I have also hunted for coyotes with a bow, using calls and stalking.

I tried twice to stalk a big female we would occasionally see in the corner of a hay field. First 2 attempts I got busted when I was "oh so close"

The third attempt I was able to get to her without my wind busting me. I was at 30 yards of her, bedded in a brush pile. I didnt have a clear shot at anything but the head. I didnt want to take that shot, thinking I would only injure her (with all the stuff around, thought I may catch a twig)

SO, I came to full draw, held steady on her and barked. Yeah that sounded like a good plan at the time hahahah she bolted from the tree blowdown, ran straight away from me, I barked again and she stopped and turned long enough for me to send a shot I had guessed at 50yds. Got a straight pass through on her. After the shot I ranged and the point of impact, and it was at 52. SO the shot was near perfect.

I heard her crash below and started trailing her. 3 blade fixed 100gr Muzzy left me an awesome blood trail. SHE RAN almost 80 yards before expiring. Double lung, straight pass through, she must have been running on pure adrenaline.

At any rate, after the recovery and completing a task I had tried to do so many times before this dog, I decided to have a shoulder mount on a limestone pedestal .

It is still one of my favorite kills, and mount.

VERY challenging hunt too!
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:02 pm

That's an awesome hunt, backstraps!

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:06 pm

DeerDylan wrote:That's an awesome hunt, backstraps!

thanks DD, it ranks up there with one my my all time favorite stalks on any critter....gives that true predator feeling :lol:
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:39 pm

burkhart wrote:Never a yote but I did kill a bobcat with my bow

X2 on the bobcat I shot a coyote once with bow but couldnt find it. Killed a couple with rifle

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:08 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I have a few under my belt.

I'll post a pic when I can get on from my laptop; still have an issue with being locked out...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:27 am

Incidental 14 yard shot here. I was setup in a stand of cherry trees and it came in and started crunching on the cherries that were dropping.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:50 am

It looks like you made a nice shot xpauliber. Congrats. :clap:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”