Who has killed a coyote with a bow?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killed a coyote with a bow?

Yes I have.
53%
No I have not.
47%

Total votes: 125
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Who has killed a coyote with a bow?

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:11 am

Fall of 2014 I was deer hunting, looking down at a button buck that was sniffing my LW tree steps. He threw his head up and looked behind the tree I was in. I swiveled my head around and saw a coyote coming. I drew back and got ready as he passed with 5 yards of the base of the tree. I whistled when he hit a shooting lane, he didn't hear it. :think: As he got to the next opening, whistled louder, he froze and I center punched his chest. He dropped to his knees/belly, never really did regain his feet as he struggle 10 yards before stopping.

I missed one a couple of years earlier, had some that have gone by too quickly to get on them.

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:06 pm

I've taken 3 yotes the last three deer seasons. This one was killed this past Christmas Eve morning. I was preparing to climb down when I heard something running through the water, looked that direction and saw a coyote, then 2 more and another one. This stopped atImage18 yards and I double lunged him.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:56 am

Coyotes are tough to hit and kill with a bow. Way harder than a big buck deer (just talking about making the shot). Vitals are tiny, on a big one the size of your fist, and they have WAY faster reflexes. I once had one looking at me when I shot and he dropped enough for me to miss him completely at 15 yards. At the time my arrow speed was around 240 FPS so he did that, dropped about 6", in 2/10s of a second. The reason was he was looking at me and saw me fire, they react a bit less just from noise.

I think I have missed a dozen, nicked a couple, and killed three. That's pretty terrible. Most of the misses were years ago when I took shots I should not have. Starting out I thought I could shoot them at the same range as a deer. Last few years I would only shoot a coyote inside of 20 yards with a bow....still wiffed a couple shots. Last one I shot was 2012 so its about time to drill another one.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 am

Shot this one in 2011 while he was running.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:27 am

I did this sept while archery hunting...

I was done hanging my sticks...I was climbing back up with my stand on my back and spotted him coming down the creek towards me...

Tricky situation..Stand on my back, linesman's belt securing me to the tree...Bow on the ground tied to my pull up rope...He slipped into fairly dense cover..

I snuck down, got the stand off my back, fought to get my bow untied..But I did it...Can't remember if I took my lineman's belt off or not..

He came right down the creek and stopped. I drew. Figured it was right around 20yds. Settled the pin and sent the arrow.

I saw the hit and figured it was good...Climbed up and hunted till dark.

I couldn't believe the trail...Very sparse...Lots of undergrowth made it tough too...Knee/waist high stuff and couldn't see the ground..

I pushed the track maybe 80-100 yards..Buddy showed up and I was sweating...Didn't look good. How? I saw the arrow hit.

Right when my buddy showed up blood picked up and eventually became very easy to follow...Maybe 50yds farther l..He was piled up in a cornfield...

That's how I found him...Yes. That's his heart and lungs GS outside the entrance hole. The heart had a good slice in it. I didn't examine the lungs..

Shot was a smidge low. He was 24yds when I shot and that would equate to the inch or 2 of drop. I held the pin low and tight. Arrow went in there and exited the bottom of the chest. Basically was only in the chest cavity for 2" or so.

Not a coyote...But I also shot this gray fox this year on my last archery hunt of the season...She and I'm guessing her mate came in. The other one was very big. She is big for a gray fox. The big one would think stop for nothing. I haven't shot or trapped a gray fox yet and been wanting one badly..

Actually probably going to go back after the other one tomorrow evening and see if I can't call it in. Might take the flintlock turkey gun as well as the 870. Just for the extra 20 yards. Or in the event of a miss...

If I got him within 30yds and stopped I shouldn't have any issue rolling him with the flintlock turkey gun.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:47 am

I shot one this fall that was hot on the trail of a doe and fawn.
He made the mistake of stopping for a split second.
They usually don't stay still very long.
I drilled him through the vitals with a 2" rage.
He didn't go far.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:37 pm

I have come close several times. They are very wary and rarely stop moving

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
EastCoast

Unread postby EastCoast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:20 pm

I shot this one a few years ago in late August. I set up in a field at first light. As soon as I called I heard one howl down the in the woods. About 5 minutes later two young coyotes came in and I shot one of them. Those things die hard.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:54 am

After reading the post..I can't say I'm shocked by the gut shot comment...

Many people have that view. There seems to be 2 different mindsets to coyotes....They are either complete trash and deserve to die a miserable death or they are regarded as the awesome predator they are.

Out west they actually killed off all the predators years ago thinking it would make game populations flourish. That's how simple ignorant people think. What happened?? The game populations plummeted. Disease took over and started wiping the herd out.

EHD, CWD, rabies, mange, starvation, winter kills etc are mother nature's ways to keeping populations in check. If the predators are not there to prey on the sick and the weak mother nature will take control.

I've trapped a few coyotes and have shot a few with rifles in bear and deer season and now 1 with the bow.

My bow killed coyote is held by me as one of my best kills. Killing him from the ground makes it that much sweeter for me. They are crazy smart and weary. Like was said getting a shot at one can be extremely difficult.

Dad always said if deer had eyes like a turkey or turkey had noses of deer we would never kill them. That critter exists. It's the coyote.

I just wish they were easier to skin! Lol.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 am

I killed a coyote and a bobcat 30 mins apart last season with a bow. Just got the call yester my cat will be ready 4 pick up tom I can't wait!!!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Ive gotten a few, Mike
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Missed with bow deer hunting. About 10 years ago I was turkey hunting and a female was moving den locations it looked like. She went back and forth 3 times with a pup in her mouth every 20 minutes or so. The last time she came close enough for a shot with pup in mouth. Some might disagree with me, but I couldn't bring myself to shooting her with pup in mouth....
As Stanley said about them entertaining to watch them. This event over a hour was one of my top encounters in the woods, just cool to see!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Hit one this fall. Unfortunate meat hit. It was a pack of three of them. One of the coolest things i have seen.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm

I zipped one a couple years ago but never found it. I was sitting in the corner of a pasture and happened to look right below me and it was just sitting there looking out into the field. It ran into a standing corn field but didn't leave any blood. I wound up finding a stone arrowhead looking for blood though so that was cool :D
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm

I’ve never seen one while on stand

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”