Nightscopes for predator hunting regulations in Wisconsin?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trapper57
500 Club

Nightscopes for predator hunting regulations in Wisconsin?

Unread postby trapper57 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 am

Has anyone asked the DNR what the regulations are on using night scopes for predator hunting?
The regulations say a flashlight or light can be used at the point of kill but cannot be used for shining the animal.
A night scope is not mentioned.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Nightscopes for predator hunting regulations in Wisconsi

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 am

No idea. I'd call the DNR tomorrow during business hours or if you need to know sooner, call a warden on the tip line.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tuffdaddy

Re: Nightscopes for predator hunting regulations in Wisconsi

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:59 am

You could use a thermal scope for night hunting coyotes in Wisconsin, however the actual "night vision" scopes could only be used similarly to a standard light (at point of kill) if they utilize infrared enhansers to obtain the night vision. The DNR considers the infrared a light source, and therefore combines it with other hand held lights.

I had a brief conversation with Rep. Kleefish last year to see if they were going try and work on passing something that would allow us to hunt with lights for coyotes. He said it is on his to do list, but didn't give me any time horizon.

Hopefully good things to come. Until then, night hunting with snow does the trick for us now (full moons help, but not required).

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”