Coyote calling tips. Anyone use a mouth call?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mdorion6

Coyote calling tips. Anyone use a mouth call?

Unread postby mdorion6 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 am

I have a mouth call and can get it to make a high pitch noise but it doesn't make the howling coyote sound. Do you just blow air between the younger and diaphragm or do you make a noise while you are blowing air? Any tips and advice is welcomed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tuffdaddy

Re: Coyote calling tips. Anyone use a mouth call?

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:21 am

I use mouth calls in conjunction with an e caller. Are you using an open reed for this? Sounds like you might be. If so, start closer to the middle (or even further up the reed) depending on if you're trying to get a younger coyote or older coyote sound. Then slowly slide down the reed (low to higher pitch), then back up slightly as you end the howl. (hopefully that makes sense). Think of it as almost a siren from an ambulance.

You also might have to lightly put your teeth on the reed (some howlers you do, sometimes you just use your lips). Look for coyote howlers on YouTube to get some ideas of how to make them sound. Be careful with coyote vocals too. You don't want to put out a warning bark, or howl by accident and spook them. I typically only do very long locator howls when I do howl for them. Sometimes I'll do a challenge howl as well in the early spring/late winter.

It's fun to figure them out, and I tend to favor mouth calls vs. e callers, especially on pressured coyotes. Gives them something they don't hear much.
Tuffdaddy

Re: Coyote calling tips. Anyone use a mouth call?

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:24 am

One other mouth call to use is a coaxer. I like to do woodpecker or birds in distress with them. Something not too many guys do (most are doing rabbit in distress). We've had some good success with that type of call.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”