Coyote ABC's

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Coyote ABC's

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am

Totally newguy question (maybe too broad?)...
Had a camera up to see what survived deer season and noticed at least 2 coyotes regularly...Do they have core areas?? Are they roamers? If they are "homers", how far do they travel? Anything I can learn would be awesome. Seeing if it would be something I could venture into... :mrgreen:
Thanks

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
ihookem
500 Club

Re: Coyote ABC's

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

They have core areas, no doubt but they seem like they are very big core areas and they seem to spread out as the winter progresses. I say this cause I rarely get a fox or yote on the cam in the summer time. In winter, though , I get them much more often. One reason is cause I have about 3 acres in my back yard that I ( laugh if you want) but I like rabbit hunt'n so I have a lot of brush, spruce, pines , grass and " junk" back there. The rabbits love it there and have a ton of rabbit tracks too. In winter, I get fox once a week or so and a yote now and again . I dont know why , but it seems they have no use to burn energy in summer so dont travel much. Why should they? In winter, food gets scarce . The hang around my 3 ac. most of the winter. They get my rabbits too. First pic of a fox in a year. You most likely have their core area if you see them a lot.Image
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks ihookem...I know absolutely nothing about these guys except they are pretty crafty...live in a great area, on the river in farm country. The area I catch them oncam is a small woodlot full of rabbits and squirrels. In a blind at the end of Dec., had one cut across a picked corn field towards my blind to 45 yds., didnt come in close enough for a bowshot. Did'nt seem to bust me, but I could be very wrong about that. Like I said, I know nothing and they are smart.I'll keep at it until I figure it out.
Tuffdaddy

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 am

It depends. There are 2 different types (to keep it easy) of coyotes. Residents, and vagabonds lol. The resident coyotes usually have a defined core area and tend to stay within that area for the most part. However, studies show that up to 70% of coyotes out there are roamers. By that I mean they don't have a home range, are traveling solo (usually) and are out looking for food and luv. Knowing this, and what we are calling to makes a HUGE difference in the calls we use, tones, etc. We call differently to resident coyotes if we are targeting specific ones. But if hunting we're "any" coyotes and trying to call whatever in, we have to be cautious as to what we use when calling so we don't spook those vagabonds off.

They're pretty cool critters as much as people like to hate them. I absolutely LOVE calling them. It's kind of like musky fishing.
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks tuffdaddy...did a little reading last night and learned a little more on these critters. Sounds like they mate for life(?), and are in the breeding season right now ( Jan. through Mar.). Dont even want to think about calling right now...just trying to pick up any info I can :D
Tuffdaddy

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 am

Yep, partners for life, unless someone takes out said partner. :) I know guys tend to talk aggressively about them (kill em all, etc), but I'm actually fascinated by them. A very worthy adversary that are super smart, and difficult to call in (and see when you do call them in).

With that said, predator control is necessary and is a ball once you start figuring them out. It's actually a good time to be calling during breeding season, but I tend to call differently then a month ago. Getting that male to come into to a horned up female, or getting a female to come in to an invading female.....ah the scenarios. Fun stuff that can be frustrating at times.

Also, if you do start calling them, learn to use hand calls. LOTS of guys using ecallers these days and I think the coyotes have every sound multiple times. They're quick to catch on. If you can learn to use hand calls, it can be very beneficial as they will be sounds not heard by the coyotes. Listen to good callers to get ideas of different combinations of howls and barks and what they mean. If you do the wrong thing at the wrong time, it's buh bye coyote. But if you get it right, fur on the ground!
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 am

Thanks...good advice about the calling...I've heard the same thing elsewhere. Agree on the fascination part. Not looking to slaughter anything. Sounds a lot like deer hunting...the ultimate chess match. Maybe a lot more moving, though.
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks...good advice about the calling...I've heard the same thing elsewhere. Agree on the fascination part. Not looking to slaughter anything. Sounds a lot like deer hunting...the ultimate chess match. Maybe a lot more moving, though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”