Man Vs Wolf

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Man Vs Wolf

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:36 am

I'd hope I could grab a stout stick and wallup it on the nose. If no stick my fist.

I have a book about bear/man encounters. "Of Man and Bears". The author went to visit an elderly couple that lived and were still living in a remote area of Kodiak island, Alaska. They dealt with Brown bears on a daily basis. The old man had learned to keep 5'-6' long wrist sized poles scattered around his home, shed and garden or in hand. When a bear would get too close he'd rap it on the nose and the bear knew he was boss. Animal noses are very sensitive. No BS here. The story came with lots of photos.

Back to the above. If it didn't run off and continued to attack. Yes try to get a strangle hold. The stout stick would aid in this also.

Although right now I'm too weak to really get in a good blow even with a stick. Guess I'd just let it grab my throat so it all ended quicker. :doh: :mrgreen:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 am

stash59 wrote:I'd hope I could grab a stout stick and wallup it on the nose. If no stick my fist.

I have a book about bear/man encounters. "Of Man and Bears". The author went to visit an elderly couple that lived and were still living in a remote area of Kodiak island, Alaska. They dealt with Brown bears on a daily basis. The old man had learned to keep 5'-6' long wrist sized poles scattered around his home, shed and garden or in hand. When a bear would get too close he'd rap it on the nose and the bear knew he was boss. Animal noses are very sensitive. No BS here. The story came with lots of photos.

Back to the above. If it didn't run off and continued to attack. Yes try to get a strangle hold. The stout stick would aid in this also.

Although right now I'm too weak to really get in a good blow even with a stick. Guess I'd just let it grab my throat so it all ended quicker. :doh: :mrgreen:

That would be my first reaction......a closed fist right to the nose.

Some sort of stick would no doubt help to fend off an attack.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:05 am

I think, given that it is a single wolf, there is definitely a good chance for the human to come out on top. Remember, all either side has to do is convince the other that the fight isn't worth it. It would depend a lot on the health of the wolf, physical fitness and grit of the human, available weapons (suck as sticks or rocks), and possibly terrain. Neither would come out on top every time, but I don't think it is a completely one sided outcome.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 am

One on one, I don't think many people would survive a fit adult male wolf attack. Now if the person was able to have a stick or stone then it may be a different outcome. And for those that think that they can punch them in the nose or poke their eyes out yeah right. You would have to be trained to be able do that to a wolf. I'm not saying that it can't be done. But through out my tapping caree, I've had to put down some wild animals that are still alive. The animals are in a trap. You think it would be no problem to kill them. It actually harder then it seams to be able to grab a good stout stick and give them a wack on the nose, to knock them unconscious, then to try and step on their rib cage to stop them from breathing. It's not fun and it's takes along time for the animal pass. And most of these animals are in the 20 to 40 pound range stuck in a trap.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 am

Dewey wrote: A pack of wolves would be a totally different story.

One wolf would probably be crazy intense hand to hand but you win, 2 and the odds tip in their favor dramatically, 3 or more forget about it.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 am

Hawthorne wrote:One on one I think I could take a wolf. A pack I'm done. I like crazinam idea the choke hold. I've fought off hundreds of dogs being a city letter carrier for 22 years and have never been bit. You show them your the aggressor and they'll back down 99% of the time even the meanest dogs. I've never fought a wild wolf that could be different. Lol

The reason I mentioned that because I actually subdued an attacking dog by choking it out.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:10 am

I've never been around a wolf in the wild so I could be way off but from what I understand a lone wolf is somewhat shy. I wouldn't think it would come at you unless it felt threatened or desperately hungry. A pack is a different story.

A guy I used to work with got attacked by a pit bull and killed it. Two different animals, I know but same style attack. I'd be much more Leary of a mountain lion or grizzly. They hunt alone.

Jeremiah Johnson fought off a whole pack of wolves. 8-)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 am

I agree with Wlog, we don't have bears down here but we do have mountain lions. I'd much rather defend myself against a lone wolf than a mountain lion.
I've already been face to face with one (like touching distance) in the woods, and that's more than close enough for my lifetime.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Thee Creator of this thread was circled by a pack of wolves this past Autumn, after sunset.

Nocturnal, I think about your story a lot since I probably only live around 30 some miles away from where your wolf pack encounter occured this past Fall. How would you have felt if you were alone and without a firearm that nite that those pack of wolves circled you??????

I have a respectful fear of wolves. I feel a close encounter coming for me at ground level. Its coming for me I can feel it. Hopefully I don't die of a heart attack.

Freaky.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 am

I think it depends more on the wolf. A single 100lb wolf a grown man could probably pull it off. But if it was that alpha 170lb wolf I doubt the guy lives. That forearm or rear choke works great on dogs. A wold is a different ballgame...

Luckily this is highly unlikely, wolves typically attack as a pack in which case no one has a chance lol
Make It Happen
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 am

Found this very interesting. Check out Notable Cases.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 am

IkemanTx wrote:I agree with Wlog, we don't have bears down here but we do have mountain lions. I'd much rather defend myself against a lone wolf than a mountain lion.
I've already been face to face with one (like touching distance) in the woods, and that's more than close enough for my lifetime.

I'm curious to hear the story!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 am

Just my thoughts but against a wolf the quicker the encounter the better for the person. The longer it goes the better the chances are a second, third, or the entire pack showing up from the noise and such. The idea of being eaten alive isn't very appealing to me.
That said, if it's just one wolf an adult physically fit human has a shot . 2 or more, you are lunchmeat.
A mountain lion on the other hand, you're dead. You won't even know what hit you. I think that would be the better way to go.
Just my thoughts.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 am

Having been bit by a German Shephard and a Pit Bull (2 diff occasions). Also had a cousin with a 100# rottie who I met in a dark basement by getting jumped on and going down under that giant slobbery lick-machine.

I give the 100#+ Wolf the advantage. Until you've been grabbed by a dog, it is all speculation and I'm tough mentality. He gets a-hold of you and shakes you off your feet, repositions and does some real damage. Grab his coat/skin and he turns inside it and grabs you.

Someone mentioned a mt lion - imagine how sliced up one would get from a cat or bobcat, never mind a mt lion...
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:35 am

I got to experience this last July. Not fun. I was running bears with dogs. Treed a bear and noticed one of the younger dogs didn't make the tree. When I finally found him he was stripped. One wolf was still on the kill. When I first saw the wolf he was already within 10 yards. No sticks or rocks and no time to get one. I had to keep my eye on him and yell the whole time. He was within 10 yards for the 15-20 minutes it took me to go 150 yards. I almost climbed twice. The worst part was when you couldn't see him in the brush and then he'd appear again. I was in a nasty thick swamp with no visibility. Scary situation. I would have done anything to try and survive if it would have attacked but to think you're gonna choke out a killing machine like a wolf is hilarious. Worst day I've ever had in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”