Rogue Coyote hunters?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Motivated
500 Club
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am
Status: Online

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Motivated » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

In Indiana it's illegal to hunt deer with dogs, but legal to use dogs for coyotes. I ran into a pack of dogs on public land a few years ago on opening day of deer muzzleloader season. An old man walked up and said he was hunting coyotes. Carrying a muzzleloader. Seems inconsiderate to all other hunters at best and likely circumventing the law and actually running deer. I wish that dogs couldn't be used for yotes until after deer season, but I don't make up the regs. :?


Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence... We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit.
--Aristotle
Findian
500 Club
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Findian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Blackhorn wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


You would commit a felony for that? Wow.


It's not a felony to shoot a dog. It goes by local or state law. I looked at my local law and it said any dog causing harm is a dog that is, at large or causing or threating to cause personal injury, destroying or harming personal property, fighting with another dog, or running wildlife or domestic lifstock.

A dog causing harm that is not ownerless may be destroyed.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er9-2.html
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Outdoor814 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 am

Findian wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


You would commit a felony for that? Wow.


It's not a felony to shoot a dog. It goes by local or state law. I looked at my local law and it said any dog causing harm is a dog that is, at large or causing or threating to cause personal injury, destroying or harming personal property, fighting with another dog, or running wildlife or domestic lifstock.

A dog causing harm that is not ownerless may be destroyed.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er9-2.html



I can't see the point in shooting a dog for doing what comes naturally. Unless it was in fact harassing my livestock or threatening my family. A dog simply cruising my property would not get shot. If it's a recurring problem I would just contact proper authority.
Joe™
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 5568
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby muddy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 am

In my experiences people who don't care about boundaries still don't care if a game warden or sheriff is involved. Oftentimes they still don't care once a shovel gets involved.
"Space for Rent"
Blackhorn
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:28 am
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Blackhorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 am

Findian wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


You would commit a felony for that? Wow.


It's not a felony to shoot a dog. It goes by local or state law. I looked at my local law and it said any dog causing harm is a dog that is, at large or causing or threating to cause personal injury, destroying or harming personal property, fighting with another dog, or running wildlife or domestic lifstock.

A dog causing harm that is not ownerless may be destroyed.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er9-2.html


In Michigan if you kill my hunting dog you will be charged with a felony. If you remove a hunting dogs tracking collars you're looking at another $1000 fine and up to 90 days in jail. On top of that you're gonna get sued. May be different where you live.
Findian
500 Club
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Findian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
Findian wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


You would commit a felony for that? Wow.


It's not a felony to shoot a dog. It goes by local or state law. I looked at my local law and it said any dog causing harm is a dog that is, at large or causing or threating to cause personal injury, destroying or harming personal property, fighting with another dog, or running wildlife or domestic lifstock.

A dog causing harm that is not ownerless may be destroyed.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er9-2.html



I can't see the point in shooting a dog for doing what comes naturally. Unless it was in fact harassing my livestock or threatening my family. A dog simply cruising my property would not get shot. If it's a recurring problem I would just contact proper authority.


First off there is a difrance between a dog that got lost vs. the original post of some one purposely setting a group of dogs loose on a privite property with out permission. Now if the owner of the dogs asked permission I would be glad to allow them to run the dogs.
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 6456
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:28 am

Just gotta say this. Most landowners that also deer hunt would more than likely gladly let someone on their land to kill coyotes. I would if I owned land. But a guy or group of guys that didn't ask would pee me off. My first thoughts were yeah shoot a dog or 2. But with all the grey areas in that regard I guess I wouldn't. But maybe I'd drive by when they left their truck and slash a tire or 2. Jerks!!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Findian
500 Club
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Findian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:49 am

stash59 wrote:Just gotta say this. Most landowners that also deer hunt would more than likely gladly let someone on their land to kill coyotes. I would if I owned land. But a guy or group of guys that didn't ask would pee me off. My first thoughts were yeah shoot a dog or 2. But with all the grey areas in that regard I guess I wouldn't. But maybe I'd drive by when they left their truck and slash a tire or 2. Jerks!!!!!!!


I also didn't realize how much that law differs, when blackhorn said that, I was thinking yeah right. But after doing some research it shows how much it can very.

About 7 years ago we had a person that would drive their vehicles thru are land at night and shoot deer. We never caught up with them that year. The next year we took a lot of two by six's and put a bunch of nails thru. Laid them out. That person came thru once and never returned.
User avatar
Stanley
Moderator
Posts: 18614
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Stanley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 am

Blackhorn wrote:
In Michigan if you kill my hunting dog you will be charged with a felony. If you remove a hunting dogs tracking collars you're looking at another $1000 fine and up to 90 days in jail. On top of that you're gonna get sued. May be different where you live.


Responsible dog owners wouldn't put their dogs in a position to get shot. If you are trespassing with your dogs, just cut loose to push wildlife to other hunters who knows what could happen? I'm sure some of the dogs get lost when there are 30 dogs cut loose. Pretty sure self defense comes into play even in Michigan. I have called dogs owners up and told them to keep their dogs out of the areas I was hunting in. It did work and he kept the dogs out. Later in the year a couple of those dogs were shot by someone not as tolerant as me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club
Posts: 2604
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 am

Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


Because it's the dogs fault, right? :? Only bad owners.
User avatar
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am
Facebook: dhurtubise
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Dhurtubise » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 am

I think it's best to exercise caution with the topic of killing rogue pets.....

We've had a thread like this a few years ago. It didn't go well.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21983


We're going to have a lot of divergent opinions on this topic (already there). Maybe it's best to discuss methods of how to remedy the situation without actually actively killing dogs. Going down that route will probably going to lead to another locked thread.
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 6456
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


Because it's the dogs fault, right? :? Only bad owners.


I think we're seeing a little difference in how we were all raised here. I'm older than most on here. Plus I grew up in a rural area near farmers. Back way before taking a dog into get spaded or newtured was thought about. I knew of many litters of pups, and, kittens that were drowned or some how gotten rid of. Cattle past their prime were sent to rendering plants. Simply because they could not have been afforded to be taken care of. Old dogs were put down by their owners. A bullet was cheaper than the vet.

Dogs seen chasing livestock or deer were often shot. Sometimes by the owner. I saw my own father shoot dogs that showed a hint of being too aggressive. Even well trained bird dogs were shot. If their owners had trespassed. Things were handled personally back then because law enforcement just couldn't be bothered with such "trivial" matters.

I would've hated to seen what would have happened to such a disrespectful mob of hunters, with a pack of dogs. Trespassing back then in my neighborhood.

Not saying all of this was or is right!!!!! Just saying things were different!!!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 6456
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:55 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I think it's best to exercise caution with the topic of killing rogue pets.....

We've had a thread like this a few years ago. It didn't go well.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21983


We're going to have a lot of divergent opinions on this topic (already there). Maybe it's best to discuss methods of how to remedy the situation without actually actively killing dogs. Going down that route will probably going to lead to another locked thread.


Good point!!!!!!

Too bad a ball bat to the skull of such ignorant, disrespectful people is also illegal!!!!!

Some just never will care or learn!!!!!! They'll just laugh at the trivial fines they'll get.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby matt1336 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 am

Pet owners that respect their pets and the laws won't have an issue with the "old school" way of dealing with things. They'll do their best to not put their dogs in bad situations- repeatedly. Like muddy said people that don't respect the laws often times don't have a lot of respect for too many things....like their dogs.
That's all I'll say about this. That last thread a few years ago got out of control.
Findian
500 Club
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Postby Findian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 am

stash59 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.


Because it's the dogs fault, right? :? Only bad owners.


I think we're seeing a little difference in how we were all raised here. I'm older than most on here. Plus I grew up in a rural area near farmers. Back way before taking a dog into get spaded or newtured was thought about. I knew of many litters of pups, and, kittens that were drowned or some how gotten rid of. Cattle past their prime were sent to rendering plants. Simply because they could not have been afforded to be taken care of. Old dogs were put down by their owners. A bullet was cheaper than the vet.

Dogs seen chasing livestock or deer were often shot. Sometimes by the owner. I saw my own father shoot dogs that showed a hint of being too aggressive. Even well trained bird dogs were shot. If their owners had trespassed. Things were handled personally back then because law enforcement just couldn't be bothered with such "trivial" matters.

I would've hated to seen what would have happened to such a disrespectful mob of hunters, with a pack of dogs. Trespassing back then in my neighborhood.

Not saying all of this was or is right!!!!! Just saying things were different!!!!!!!!


I agree stash it's all on how we are raised, my father and his father all shot dogs that chased wildlife. All the farmer and land owners do the same. A couple years back we caught a dog in a foot hold, we knew the farmer that owned the dog, we let him know that we caught his dog in a leg hold in in case he was wondering what happened to the dog. He went in his house and grabbed his shotgun and shot the dog. He said, he don't need dog that can't stay by the house.

Return to “Predator Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest