Rogue Coyote hunters?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Rogue Coyote hunters?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 am

Talked to one of the landowners I know and hunt on his property. He said a group of about 8 pickup trucks of coyote hunters parked on one road and let around 30 dogs loose on his property. They had blockers on a road 2 miles on the other side of his property and about 3 other\ properties. The hunters never got out of their trucks on either road. The dogs had collars and were GPS tracked from the trucks. He said the dogs were transported on utility trailers. He thought around 8 dogs in individual cages per trailer. This must be the new wave of illegal hunting? Anyone hear of such stuff? :angry-cussingblack:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Rogue Coyote hunters?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 am

I haven't here in New England.

Seems like a lot of effort for coyotes. It also sounds like a big operation and as such I would bet that they are targeting multiple species over the year.

I hope that they catch them soon and put them out of business.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:50 am

I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:04 am

Nothing new to me.

A few years ago, I saw a guy throw a coyote dog over the fence into the neighbors. It has snowed right before daybreak, he saw coyote tracks crossing the road, set his dogs on it. As I pulled up, he asked if I owned the land he just let his dog on, and his question told me he didn't know who owned it. I told him that I wanted to pheasant hunt later in the morning, so I would appreciate it if he didn't run his dogs across my farm. His response was, "I can't control where they run", to which I replied that if he left them in the kennel in the back of the truck he could control where they are. He didn't much like that answer. :lol:

Another time I was late muzzle loader season hunting and heard his coyote hounds coming. Figured I'd sit tight and see if they pushed a buck to me. The dogs cut across the farm and went into a big timber along the river bottom across the road. No roads go through there. He was standing on top of his truck trying to use the radio collars to figure out which way the dogs headed. Pretty sure the neighbor wouldn't let him on, not sure how long it took him to find his dogs that day.

Not a fan of coyote dog runners, pretty much disrespect private property.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:12 am

UntouchableNess wrote:Nothing new to me.

Not a fan of coyote dog runners, pretty much disrespect private property.

I don't disrespect private property. That would be like saying every deer hunter would shoot onto someone else's property If there was a big buck standing on the neighbors property. I know of fence sitters that have done that but I'm sure not all deer hunters would do that.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 am

Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.

You would commit a felony for that? Wow.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 am

Blackhorn wrote:I don't disrespect private property.

Blackhorn, I said "pretty much". You keep your coyote dogs off my property and we don't have a problem.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 am

UntouchableNess wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:I don't disrespect private property.

Blackhorn, I said "pretty much". You keep your coyote dogs off my property and we don't have a problem.

I have no interest in being on yours or anyone else's property, that is for sure.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am

People run dogs around here. I've never been in a situation where they were interfering with my hunting or running on my property.

One thing I don't like though is that they will run wherever they want. My buddy got harassed by a guy because he almost hit his dog when it ran Infront of him. Guys shouldn't be running dogs in high traffic areas. And if they do they shouldn't get upset when it eventually does happen.
Joe™
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:13 am

Findian wrote:I'm sorry, but if I saw that happen and the dogs went through my land they would all be shot.

As much as I don't like hunting with dogs it's not the dogs fault the owner can't keep track of his hounds. Sounds like a good way to get yourself in big trouble.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:

As much as I don't like hunting with dogs it's not the dogs fault the owner can't keep track of his hounds. Sounds like a good way to get yourself in big trouble.

I love dogs more than the average person, and a bad dog is directly related to a bad owner. Every breed has their issues, but I have met some amazing pit bulls, and met some scary labs. Don't punish the dog cause the owner has issues.

Now if the owner doesn't care about his dogs running your land, some signs saying you are trapping and a couple foothold traps should send the message.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

I don't think Stanley's op was directed towards running coyotes with dogs, I thought the problem was the guys pulled up somewhere without asking permission and cut loose. I've personally never hunted coyotes with hounds but I owned and hunted with lots of beagles as a kid and young adult. You do the best you can to keep your dogs moving and hunting the direction you want but they are still animals with a mind of their own and will sometimes go where THEY want not where YOU want. I can tell you right now that if my dog mistakenly got onto your place and was shot we would have serious problems.

I would never turn a pack of dogs loose where I'm not permitted but stuff happens that's out of your control sometimes. I don't condone just running dogs wherever you please.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

Dogs running a coyote off permission property and onto other property is one thing... it happens. Dogs intentionally set into unsecured property is another. I've known dog hunters who were very good about keeping tabs on their dogs and I've known others who just "let em run". The bad eggs are the ones you always hear about.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

If it's a chronic problem by one dog owner. I'd think hard about the sss method myself
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Wish they would come to the areas i hunt. We have a huge coyote population.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”