Ever Eat A Yote?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Ever Eat A Yote?

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 pm

JoeRE wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:This was definitely a good read. alleyyooper thanks for the recipes, I had a good laugh but somehow think you are serious. Either way, we should do lunch sometime, we could sprinkle some castoreum on our crow brains for desert

Pretty much what I was thinking :lol:

I personally don't think coyotes stink that bad on average....fox stink far worse IMO. Depends what they have been eating. I have killed some yotes by finding a rotting deer carcass they were feeding on and setting up over it. Now those yotes stunk :lol:

As far as eating yotes...maybe if I get hard up enough. I have sort of decided internally its enough just to take the pelt and return the remains to mother nature who will put it to good use...

big bucks still too...I mean I can't clean a stinky rutting buck and then turn around and eat it...all I taste is that lingering buck pee. My father in law said when he went through basic for Vietnam, they said you can eat any fur-bearing animal....they didn't say how it would taste though lol

Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I prefer bobcat backstrap to yote. Just a milder taste and almost like a tougher pork.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm

checkerfred wrote:
big bucks still too...I mean I can't clean a stinky rutting buck and then turn around and eat it...all I taste is that lingering buck pee. My father in law said when he went through basic for Vietnam, they said you can eat any fur-bearing animal....they didn't say how it would taste though lol

Butchering about anything, the smell seems to stick with me and the next thing I eat seems to smell like that. Sucks when I just cleaned a gut shot deer!

Maybe if CWD wipes out the deer around here, 30 years from now I will be teaching my grandkids how to hunt down a coyote and then cut some steaks because there won't be any bigger game available. Or maybe not. :D
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

JoeRE wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

Butchering about anything, the smell seems to stick with me and the next thing I eat seems to smell like that. Sucks when I just cleaned a gut shot deer!

Maybe if CWD wipes out the deer around here, 30 years from now I will be teaching my grandkids how to hunt down a coyote and then cut some steaks because there won't be any bigger game available. Or maybe not. :D

yeah it does suck.....if I ever eat fresh tenderloin it's after I've cooler aged my meat and the smell is long gone off my hands....I'm the same with fish too...I can't fillet a fish and then eat it right away.....on the CWD, if that ever happens, that may be when I turn vegetarian lol.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am

checkerfred wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

yeah it does suck.....if I ever eat fresh tenderloin it's after I've cooler aged my meat and the smell is long gone off my hands....I'm the same with fish too...I can't fillet a fish and then eat it right away.....on the CWD, if that ever happens, that may be when I turn vegetarian lol.

I guess I'm a caveman cuz more than once I've sat down next to my buck with bloody hands and ate a pbj :lol:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:I guess I'm a caveman cuz more than once I've sat down next to my buck with bloody hands and ate a pbj :lol:

I have too but just make a point of kinda breathing thru my mouth and not sniffing :lol:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 am

For your information your not supposed to gut shoot a deer. Aim for a spot closer to the head, right behind the shoulder.

I supposed to many are conditioned to store bought meat, watch out for those E coli recalls.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

I guess I'm a caveman cuz more than once I've sat down next to my buck with bloody hands and ate a pbj :lol:

Oh eating other foods is not a problem....just the animal I'm dressing....and I COULD eat it, it's just that it won't be enjoyable as my nasal cavity is filled with the deer smell.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

alleyyooper wrote:For your information your not supposed to gut shoot a deer. Aim for a spot closer to the head, right behind the shoulder.

I supposed to many are conditioned to store bought meat, watch out for those E coli recalls.

I don't know Al...maybe you actually are missing out on the secret to success with that precise point of aim of yours. Look at all the big shot TV bowhunters who seem to intentionally shoot deer too far back. Maybe that's why they kill giant bucks and most of us don't :lol:

I grew up butchering livestock and eating wild game, always have. But I'm still not interested in eating yotes until there's not enough grass eating critters to eat gut shot or not. :lol:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 am

I don't watch those hunting shows. Never cared to see some one hunting animals raised in fenced in property to hunt.

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 am

If the zombie apocalypse hits, I might try it...might. :shifty:
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:15 am

Well we have one and we're gonna try it out on the podcast tonight. I'll keep everyone updated on what it tastes like.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I'd take a juicy beaver 7 days a week :L:

I see what you did there
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

I want to give an honest opinion of coyote meat. I thought that it was better than some meats that I’ve had and worse than others that I’ve had. It was more tender than I expected, and had a flavor unlike any other meat that I’ve had. All in all I’d eat it again. No kidding
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Glad you reported back

I for one , was wondering if you caught the parvo
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”