Calling yotes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Calling yotes

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Just curious as to what everyones favorite coyote calling sequence is?

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Calling yotes

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm

I have never gone coyote hunting so this will be a good post for me.to learn from
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Here in Alabama I’ve never had much luck howling. I’m not the best at it but have tried electronic too. I find an obscure rabbit distress works great. By that I mean I buy it from the internet not a big box store. Cause everyone has those and have possibly educated coyotes with them. A piece of thin plastic or a green leaf or blade of grass between the thumbs makes a good rabbit call too.

I start out with some soft distress calls for about 30 seconds. If one is close softer calling helps. Then I wait 3-4 minutes and if I don’t have one close I’ll go louder for another 30 seconds and pause. I’ll do one more like that and then if nothing, I’ll go really loud and distressed like a rabbit is getting totally murdered. Then I’ll stop and listen and watch. I’ll do one more of these after several minutes then stop and look around for about 15 minutes before I move.

Last one I did this with he came in on the loud sequence. I heard nearby dogs barking then birds alarming and saw him after I stopped scanning for about 10 minutes. He was sitting on the tree line looking into a field. I almost left when I noticed him. Then I started back with some soft calls and got him out to the middle of the field. He was about to bolt when I dropped him at 200 yards
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Also I’ve found that they hardly ever bolt across an open field like you see out west or something. They always come in from the woods or brush of a field corner or overgrown draw or point jutting into a field. They wanna scope out what’s going on. The only time I had one run across a field was when it was overgrown to about knee high. It was awesome..he was jump hopping in to my calling. Unfortunately my buddy missed him

I’ve also called in doubles on many occasions and even one bobcat that I had mounted.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 am

2018 will be my first year coyote hunting. Going to thin out the population before my fawns are born.

I bought the cottontail distress so far.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 am

Can u bait coyotes ?

I can't find the answer got new York
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:22 pm

I don’t know if baiting yotes is allowed or not. I fish dang near every day in spring and always dump my heads and guts in the corner of a field. Every once in awhile I get up at daylight and go coyote hunting at that same field. Usually do pretty well with at least one. Seems to be a good spot for some reason
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 am

In this area every one plus 6 of their brothers and 12 friends use rabit in distress sound. Some do well and others have gotten busted, the coyotes have learned to avoid getting any where near that sound.
Despite no wild pigs in the area I like to start off with a piglet in duress sound and some times throw in a second caller if hunting with a friend with the same sound.

Seems to work real well for us.
Yappy dog chasing a chicken squaking also works well.

:mrgreen: Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Has anyone had any luck calling them onto a frozen pond or lake?
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm

alleyyooper wrote:In this area every one plus 6 of their brothers and 12 friends use rabit in distress sound. Some do well and others have gotten busted, the coyotes have learned to avoid getting any where near that sound.
Despite no wild pigs in the area I like to start off with a piglet in duress sound and some times throw in a second caller if hunting with a friend with the same sound.

Seems to work real well for us.
Yappy dog chasing a chicken squaking also works well.

Same here too. But most use the popular big name calls or a fox pro or something. That’s why I buy obscure rabbit calls or make my own. They’ll come in if it sounds different enough
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Has anyone had any luck calling them onto a frozen pond or lake?

I used to call coyote a lot when I lived in the UP of Michigan, I mainly targeted ponds, lakes, and rivers. When the snow gets deeper the streams serve as highways for coyotes. Beaver ponds are great. I did some howling and distress calls, always change distress call using multiple calls each set. When I called a lot I called in a coyote about 1 in 10 sets that I saw, killing them is another story so don't get discouraged. They will get downwind so try to put your wind over an open area, I have called them over large fields and lakes but in fields they will follow low spots and still pop out of nowhere.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm

Another thing is you can turn almost any mouth call into a distress call, blow on a duck call right and you sound like something dieing, goose call right and you've got something dieing. What's dieing isn't that important in my opinion.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 am

When the snow gets deep In Michigans UP not so well used snowmobile trails, cross country ski trails as well as snow shoe trails are great places same with plowed logging roads.

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”