Genius idea

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Genius idea

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 am

A guy at work was just telling me a tactic someone he knows uses. He said the guy will trap a female coyote and put a tracking collar on it and release. Every 12 hours he would go in and kill a male that would run with her during breeding time. Then he would finally kill the female and get his collar back. It doesnt sound like a real cheap tactic but I thought it was pretty smart.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
stash59

Re: Genius idea

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 am

Wonder how legal that is?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 am

if your state allows tracking collars great
where I live that type of stuff is only allowed by the fish&game researchers and permitted individuals for studies
otherwise they come down real hard on you here for harassing wildlife
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Seems kinda high dollar to me. But in the fishing world I often catch one the size I'm after pull off about 20 ft of line attach a large float, throw him back and follow around staying right on top of them plucking his buddies then grabbing the float for the last fish of the limit.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Interesting, what state allows that sort of thing? Sounds cool though...
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 pm

I am in Ohio im not sure how legal it was. Never thought about it. We have an open season on Yotes with any weapon other than during deer gun.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 am

Thinking out of the box on that one.....my question is can you really collar a live coyote in a trap with out sedating it? Would love to see this happen :clap:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

Just like following a school of perch.

Take the first perch you catch and use a hook and line to attach a small ballon to the perch and toss him back in. He will rejoin the school and you can follow them.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 am

northeast beast wrote:Thinking out of the box on that one.....my question is can you really collar a live coyote in a trap with out sedating it? Would love to see this happen :clap:

With a catch pole it would be a challenge but doable
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm

It’s not that easy to find an animal with a radio collar. I assume that’s what was probably used although it would be possible to use a gps tracker these days-subscriptions run about 10$/month but I would worry about losing a 200$ unit due to low batteries or a runaway yote.

My sister tracked elk, grizzlies and black bear in different studies during her university years. They rarely got a glimps of the animals they were locating.

Sounds a little fibby to me...
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:It’s not that easy to find an animal with a radio collar. I assume that’s what was probably used although it would be possible to use a gps tracker these days-subscriptions run about 10$/month but I would worry about losing a 200$ unit due to low batteries or a runaway yote.

My sister tracked elk, grizzlies and black bear in different studies during her university years. They rarely got a glimps of the animals they were locating.

Sounds a little fibby to me...

It very well could be. You know how stories can be. I was under the impression it was a gps collar like what you would use for a coyote dog.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 am

Yea sounds like a good bar story, kinda like the DNR releasing cougars to control deer numbers that sort of think.

In theory it would work....if you could use a chopper with an aerial gunner like they do in Texas some places for hogs :D

From the ground, unlikely...

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”