What not to do when after coyotes.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

What not to do when after coyotes.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 am

Jan31st 2018
I got Dean in my Sunday Partner draw along with Lee. I gave them both a call Tuesdays night to set something up for Wednesday morning if it was dry. Lee said he could not make it as he had a meeting with his office managers that was going to take till about noon.

I pick up Dean at his home and drive to our first farm. There is some State land next door to this farm that is wooded and holds likely places for coyotes to lay up.

Dean and I grab our gear and start hiking back to the area where we are going to set up. We are just about back where we want to be when we hear guys at least two talking loudly over on the state land. Dean gives me a look and sides close and whispers, Maybe we should forget trying here and move on. I whisper back that they may scare any coyotes in the area our way. All of a sudden a horrible loud screaming rabbit in distress is going, and goes a good 15 minutes wait about 2 minutes and goes at it again. I motion to Dean to sit tight any self respecting coyote isn't going to respond unless it was a good 5 miles away. Sure enough at the 20 minute mark they are talking to each other in what I consider a loud voice, packing their call up and saying stuff like no coyotes in this area, as the voices fades out, then a couple door slam.

I had our decoy out and chose a distressed chicken with a yappy lap dog barking, as it chased the chicken, from Varmint Al's web site. Ran it about 10 minutes then shut it down for a good 10 minutes and chose a squealing piglet at a soft setting. Isn't long after that 2 coyotes come out of some thick thorn apple clumps in Dean's zone, as he fires I hit the Ki yea sound and the 2nd one stops to look behind it and Dean pops it too.

Once we got back to the truck and stowed our gear Dean says boy those guys need to learn to keep their traps shut and close the doors gently and never full volume blast the sounds out.

There were other mistakes made also. We hardly ever use a squealing rabbit sound any longer because so many seem to use that sound and many have a cheap $7.00 mouth call they picked up at Wal Mart to use, also howlers . Nothing wrong really just too many are using that sound so the coyotes are used to hearing it. A second thing is they are setting the volume too loud on their E callers and blowing their mouth calls way to loud too. If you're trying to call coyotes five to 10 miles away then OK use that high volume but then you need to give the coyotes more than 30 minutes to travel to your set. Stop and think about a rabbit caught in the jaws of a coyote? How long do you think the rabbit can be squealing before it dies? We figure 5 minutes tops with a coyote may be 10 minutes if it is caught by a hawk. I have heard them for real and the rabbit didn't last a full 10 minutes and it was caught by a hawk. also the volume varied from high to low.

Nothing like letting coyotes know their territory is being invaded by people running their traps as they walk in and bang equipment around. Strict rules in our group is you do not slam a door on the truck/suv Many times we park in the farmers yard and still do not slam the doors. Once out of the truck/suv we use hand signals almost exclusively while walking in and out. Make every effort to not make noises banging equipment around also.

Since it is starting mating season now it is a good time to use sounds coyotes use to call a mate

:D. Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”