North Dakota hunter shoots mountain lion in self defense

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

North Dakota hunter shoots mountain lion in self defense

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:12 pm

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: North Dakota hunter shoots mountain lion in self defense

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Pretty crazy! I was in North Dakota hunting this past weekend. It's always fun walking around in the dark in big predator country :? :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Happy he is ok.

Very lucky to have had a pistol on him.

And I thought coyotes were scary while dragging out my buck. I'll take the coyotes over the mountain lion.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:01 am

Im glad he was okay and obviously trained through his military experience. I probably wouldve emptied a mag and never hit her. Talk about scary, your dogs going after her and her injured.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:37 am

As the lion charged the guy abandoned his shotgun ??? :think:
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 am

I bowhunted the black hills of South Dakota and would run across mountain lion tracks quite often. I wont go back there again without carrying a pistol.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:24 am

That guy will have a great story to tell for the rest of his life. Humans aren't the only predators roaming around.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:26 am

john1984 wrote:As the lion charged the guy abandoned his shotgun ??? :think:

I would have just blasted with the shotgun but bird shot may have just pissed it off worse. :o
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:54 am

Nah.
Both barrels to the face within 20 feet or so.
Even if it's only #6 birdshot, not even the biggest grizzly bear's going to continue an effective attack against that.
Severe head trauma, much tooth loss, and almost certainly complete blindness should result.

But it wouldn't shut down the roaring as he's spinning around in front of you, and that alone would be almost able to frighten a guy to death!

He admitted that his handgun training simply took over, and it worked out fine for him.
But this Monday-morning quarterback says that the pistol really should have come out only AFTER the shotgun had been emptied.

Glad he survived it anyway...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:49 am

KRONIIK wrote:Nah.
Even if it's only #6 birdshot, not even the biggest grizzly bear's going to continue an effective attack against that.
Severe head trauma, much tooth loss, and almost certainly complete blindness should result.

But it wouldn't shut down the roaring as he's spinning around in front of you, and that alone would be almost able to frighten a guy to death!

He admitted that his handgun training simply took over, and it worked out fine for him.
But this Monday-morning quarterback says that the pistol really should have come out only AFTER the shotgun had been emptied.

Bear hunters on here say its pointless relying on a pistol to protect you from bears because the bear species is so fast and quick. One would think a cougar is just as fast if not faster than a bear...

So this faster than a bear cougar sprints at this human at close range, but the guy has time to abandon his SCATTER gun , retrieve his sidearm and kill this pouncing lion with a SINGLE projectile??????? :think:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:51 am

john1984 wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:Nah.

Bear hunters on here say its pointless relying on a pistol to protect you from bears because the bear species is so fast and quick. One would think a cougar is just as fast if not faster than a bear...

So this faster than a bear cougar sprints at this human at close range, but the guy has time to abandon his SCATTER gun , retrieve his sidearm and kill this pouncing lion with a SINGLE projectile??????? :think:

He has military law enforcement training and experience. He carried a pistol for a living . I think it’s possible. I’ve been caught in a situation with a family member that is federal law enforcement agent on the street. I was impressed how quick she reacted compared to me with no training or experience
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:11 pm

^
^
Training and adrenaline can make things happen fast, but I think we can all agree that he was still pretty lucky.
He'd probably be the first to admit it, too.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Guy at work had one stalking him when they where out west for elk hunt This year. Scary

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”