Calling song dogs

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Calling song dogs

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm new to predator hunting. Been looking to fill the gap between deer season, shed hunting and scouting. I've been out a few times already. I mostly hunt at last light. I do what everyone says and hit the rabbit distress call first thing. I wait and nothing. Hit it again and nothing. So on a lot of these sits I will play a yip/howl sequence on my foxpro and the woods light up with coyotes responding. They will not respond to a male or female howl only this yipping gets a response. I do not see them but can hear them. Suggestions, thoughts, insight? Need some help getting on them. Thanks

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
brkissl82
500 Club

Re: Calling song dogs

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Following this one
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Most tend to overcall... this is the call sequence I've had the most consistent luck with

2 mins rabbit or bird distress followed by 5 mins silence (two or three times)
Then play female long howl for 1 min and wait 5 mins (do this once or twice)
The play female challenge barks..wait 5 mins then play coyote pup in distress..

This is the scenario you're playing to the coyote in the woodlot you're trying to kill .I'm a new coyote in town and eating your lunch...then you're picking a fight with a member of its pack..then you attack one of it's own.. they cant resist.

If this dont work mix it up but always play a scenario that's believable.. for example.. you could let out a few lone howls right before dark and call one out(coyote is curious to see who is in his area)..or you can do a lone howl then few mins later a fox in distress (the coyote will think one of his friends is fighting a fox and come out, etc)
It's fun to figure em out! Good luck!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Play the wind and if possible a good 100 yards away...
Rabbit (mojo) flickering if you can.
A dead carcass for the smell of blood...
Be patient and DO NOT MOVE...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 pm

How are you positioning your call in relation to where you are sitting? Prolly not the best to place it near you to draw attention to yourself. Do you set it up in front and expect them to come from front or face it behind you anticipating them to circle? Are you generally hunting their bedding areas? Painting a scenario is a great explanation. Just to go out and hit a rabbit and distress call never made much sense. Even the hawks, buzzards, and other critters make a scene when you see a dead animal or one injured. Thanks
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:49 pm

Start your day hunting coyotes in th emorning and most times you can hunt them all day long. all day long works very well a day after a all day rain or snow storm.
Ditch the rabbit in distress sound. We use a Piglet in distress sound with great sucess. Can't buy that caller at Walmart like you can the rabbit in distress and every newbe uses or should I say over uses. then they give up when they don't see a coyote.

Read up on the coyotes habit of circleing, and other traits.

There is a lot more to being a coyote hunter than being a deer hunter. there are rules of engaguement yopu can not break and expect coyotes to come to the call.

Got to Varmint Al's web site and read his accounts and look at his call list.

Will soon be mateing season use those sounds.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 am

may21581 wrote:How are you positioning your call in relation to where you are sitting? Prolly not the best to place it near you to draw attention to yourself. Do you set it up in front and expect them to come from front or face it behind you anticipating them to circle? Are you generally hunting their bedding areas? Painting a scenario is a great explanation. Just to go out and hit a rabbit and distress call never made much sense. Even the hawks, buzzards, and other critters make a scene when you see a dead animal or one injured. Thanks

Typically I put my e-caller 30-40 yards off to one side (it goes on the side closer to where I expect the coyotes to come from and where they feel they will be able to get downwind and confirm with their noses that they can smell what they hear)

I also have rubber coated wire on the handle of my foxpro so I can hang it on a low tree branch, fenceline, etc (sound carries a bit better then when placed on ground, and it allows the wind to slightly move the caller so perhaps that sounds more realistic)
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 am

Do you experienced guys wait 15-20 minutes before calling, or sit down and start hammering the call right away? I am not a seasoned yote caller, but I typically wait for the woods to settle down before calling.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:37 am

Even when focusing on yotes, I tend to start with distress calls. But I rarely use the common bay bee cottontail. I switch it up with rodent distress calls, nutty nuthatch, titmouse tantrum, platinum gray fox distress and even fawn distress. Often that will bring a fox in but then I move to yote vocals. Single female howl, female submissive, pair and yote pup distress. Around here it takes a while to coax them out. We had a yote in the wood line 250yds away for a good 30 min before the yote vocals finally pulled him out on Friday. Some silence between calls can help. Being still will help. We only do night hunts for the most part 7-12 or 1am. If they are responding, be creative. Playing the sane sounds time after time is just educating them. Good luck.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:49 am

Go here sign up for the free coyote hunting guide. Ya the guy is hunting michigan but the information is pretty good stuff for any eastern coyote hunting area.
https://www.freecoyotehuntingguide.com/

may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:51 am

How round are we generally calling with the distress calls? Start low then go higher? Or are we starting fairly loud?
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:01 am

alleyyooper wrote:Go here sign up for the free coyote hunting guide. Ya the guy is hunting michigan but the information is pretty good stuff for any eastern coyote hunting area.
https://www.freecoyotehuntingguide.com/

Doesn’t appear the mailing list is active on the site
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am

may21581 wrote:How round are we generally calling with the distress calls? Start low then go higher? Or are we starting fairly loud?

Loud not round, darn auto correct.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:03 am

We start low for at least the first 10 minutes then maybe bunp the sound to medium.
Here in the east we are rarely trying to call over 500, 600 yards. Out west Ya the area being called maybe miles.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:49 pm

I had high Hope's tonight. Nothn. Kinda bummed

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”