Freezing fish

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Freezing fish

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 pm

How do you guys freeze your fish? I've always been a water and zip lock guy, but I've been pondering at a Vacume sealer. Just wonder what the beast community uses and if vacuum sealing is worth it?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Freezing fish

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Water and zip loc. Have had fish last well over a year with no issues. Only time I have fish go bad is from bad packing and a piece or two will be exposed to air, or it’s not a good fish to freeze (trout).
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Ziploc and water here. See no reason to change. Like Jonny I’ve had fish last a year frozen this way.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I always vacuum seal venison with excellent results but never tried it on fish. No reason it shouldn't work just fine as long as all of the air is sucked out. I rarely freeze fish since I only catch enough for a fresh meal and then eat them up right away.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Nothing wrong with ziplock and water, just be sure all the air is out. Vacuum sealed will take up a lot less freezer space though.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 am

Vacuum seal all fish. Never no freezer burn and they thaw out quickly. I always put fillets on paper towel and slide them into the bag before sealing. Date and label and your ready for the next fish fry. Plus you stack them very nice in the deep freezer.
Whopper Stopper

Unread postby Whopper Stopper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 am

We use the ziplock and water method if we plan on using the fish within a couple of months. If I am holding out for a fish fry for a family get together a few months down the road, we always dip the fillets in water and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze them for a nice ice glaze. Once they are frozen we use the vacuum sealer on them.

Probably a little over kill but they sure taste fresh caught.

WS
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 am

Depends on how long I'm wanting to store them - we usually go through it pretty quick so just ziplock. If thinking I will have it for a while I will vac pack it but all i do is pat em dry before vac sealing and it does get strong after a few months.

If the snapper season goes well I may try the freeze and then vac seal technique.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 am

For fish fry's I'm usually looking for quantity over quality. So bass, bluegill and crappie go in a zip lock with water like mentioned. Walleye I vacuum seal and salmon and trout change so much so quickly I just try to eat them as fresh as possible.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:33 am

I used to do bag and water technique with fairly good results. Switched to the vacuum sealing approach and absolutely love it. Take up far less space and I personally think they taste better. Never had any freezer burn issues. Also, I lay out all my fillets flat when I seal them up instead of just throwing them into the bag in a clump. This helps reduce space and get all the air out.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 am

I vaccum seal both fish and venison if I am going to keep it in the freezer more than a month or so. First deer never gets vaccum sealed but all subsequent deer get vaccum sealed. The first deer doesn't last long enough to warrant using the vaccum bags. The bags aren't cheap.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 am

Water and Ziploc. They stay good for 6 mos easily. Smaller fish longer
Make It Happen
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 am

I go to Alaska nearly every summer and bring back loads of fish. Vacuum sealing is the only practical method of handling large amounts quickly. Flash freezing the fish first is key. No slime to deal with. Also, after freezing the fish this way, run under water quickly a couple times. This builds an instant layer of ice around the fillets. Vacuum pack is tighter this way too. Fish will last a couple years. Even 'fishy' trout and salmon. Re- seal any packages that have not completely sealed.b :L:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:17 am

I like to eat them fresh. Used to freeze fish and they just are not as good frozen. I try and give any excess away not too often though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 am

Stanley wrote:I like to eat them fresh. Used to freeze fish and they just are not as good frozen. I try and give any excess away not too often though.

I share my excess with the neighbors on local trips. It's those vacation trips that usually have me processing. Have even canned some with good results. Hard to go to Alaska and not come home with a nice mess of fish. :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”