Couple different ice fishing questions.

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Couple different ice fishing questions.

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:01 am

I have started darkhouse spearing this year for pike.

1) I am looking into buying more decoys, but have zero experience in any of this. Any suggestions on what to look for in a decoy?

2) because I am spearing with a hub shanty, I am looking at a handheld sonar unit for reading depth through the ice rather than punching a bunch of holes. Anyone own one of these? Do they shoot through "white" ice? My research has only shown me that they work on clear ice.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Couple different ice fishing questions.

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:02 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:I have started darkhouse spearing this year for pike.

1) I am looking into buying more decoys, but have zero experience in any of this. Any suggestions on what to look for in a decoy?

2) because I am spearing with a hub shanty, I am looking at a handheld sonar unit for reading depth through the ice rather than punching a bunch of holes. Anyone own one of these? Do they shoot through "white" ice? My research has only shown me that they work on clear ice.

1) no idea.
2) they suck unless it's crystal clear first ice. If you have a smartphone, get the navionics or fishidy app. They have water depths. I have navionics and it's pretty solid plus can also mark waypoints on it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Jonny wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:I have started darkhouse spearing this year for pike.

1) no idea.
2) they suck unless it's crystal clear first ice. If you have a smartphone, get the navionics or fishidy app. They have water depths. I have navionics and it's pretty solid plus can also mark waypoints on it.

That would explain why I can only find videos of clear ice usage.
Thanks
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Two holes. One for the sonar, one for the spear. Trust me, you can read the depth on the graph but you won't see fish - especially in March when they start to stage for spawning (end of April here).

Most flashers (marcum, lexar, hummingbird) read through the ice. But it is best used to find structure: drop offs, saddles and shoals.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:42 pm

A handheld sonar will read through white ice. Kick the snow off the ice and pour a little water on the ice... then take your reading.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:Two holes. One for the sonar, one for the spear. Trust me, you can read the depth on the graph but you won't see fish - especially in March when they start to stage for spawning (end of April here).

Most flashers (marcum, lexar, hummingbird) read through the ice. But it is best used to find structure: drop offs, saddles and shoals.

My spearing hole is 2'x3'. What I am looking for is a depth reading through the ice to find the spot on the spot without punching 4-10 holes to find the spot.

I have a flasher, but with everything else in the sled, there isn't much room left over for something I will only use for the initial setup. Which is why I want to be able to have a small sonar to read through the ice, then cut one hole or drill one hole for the top up.
Thanks for the reply
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:A handheld sonar will read through white ice. Kick the snow off the ice and pour a little water on the ice... then take your reading.

Thank you!

Didn't really want to spend $100+ on something that won't give me a reading
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 am

dirt nap giver wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:A handheld sonar will read through white ice. Kick the snow off the ice and pour a little water on the ice... then take your reading.

Thank you!

Didn't really want to spend $100+ on something that won't give me a reading

One more thing- be careful with a handheld sonar. I am assuming that the modern units are better built. When they first came out, if you dropped one on the ice from a standing position the unit was broken and would not operate.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 am

As far as decoys go there are lots of good options, Red and white are usually good in darker or murky water, natural colors work good in clear water, there's a lot out there I have about 10-15 of them and just keep trying different ones until fish come in... a MUST HAVE is a couple of daredevils connected to each other. If possible get 2 plain silver colored ones. Remove the treble hooks and connect them end to end with a split ring. Jig that up and down and fish come running. They love the flash. Do that with the decoy still in the hole. Flash brings em in decoy keeps them interested. Also a golf ball with a small self tapping eyebolt and red line painted on it vertically or at a slight angle works for me too. Don't jig the golf ball just spin the string and let it twist and turn...

I say skip the sonar and get a camera for spearing. Seeing the bottom is much more valuable in my opinion. You can just drop it down to the bottom and pull it up to check depth. Drilling a big hole is not that big of a deal, unless you use a hand auger, in which case buy a power auger :lol:

Spearing is big around here, you can make it as simple or complex as you want. Cheap or spend a ton... If you have any questions ask, there's a ton to talk about and I'm not sure of your background in it, best of luck!
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:As far as decoys go there are lots of good options, Red and white are usually good in darker or murky water, natural colors work good in clear water, there's a lot out there I have about 10-15 of them and just keep trying different ones until fish come in... a MUST HAVE is a couple of daredevils connected to each other. If possible get 2 plain silver colored ones. Remove the treble hooks and connect them end to end with a split ring. Jig that up and down and fish come running. They love the flash. Do that with the decoy still in the hole. Flash brings em in decoy keeps them interested. Also a golf ball with a small self tapping eyebolt and red line painted on it vertically or at a slight angle works for me too. Don't jig the golf ball just spin the string and let it twist and turn...

I say skip the sonar and get a camera for spearing. Seeing the bottom is much more valuable in my opinion. You can just drop it down to the bottom and pull it up to check depth. Drilling a big hole is not that big of a deal, unless you use a hand auger, in which case buy a power auger :lol:

Spearing is big around here, you can make it as simple or complex as you want. Cheap or spend a ton... If you have any questions ask, there's a ton to talk about and I'm not sure of your background in it, best of luck!

Interesting on the golf ball. I'll have to give it a try.
I have been using a daredevil for my live bait, but will definitely give that a try. Great perspective on the decoy color usage.

I'm not sure on the camera though. Will have to look into that.

Thanks for the input

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”