HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin Musky Fly fishing

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:18 am

Rome wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:
Rome wrote:
Depth the fish are doesn't matter in fly fishing. We use all sorts of lines to get the fly where it needs to be. That time of year, the Scientific Anglers 3-5 and 3-5-7 are our main go to lines when they slide out a bit deeper.

I know nothing about fly fishing.....will that line allow lure presentation 20' plus? Cool if it does. I was always of the belief fly fishing is a surface game.

Yup, to get to those depths you need to count it down after the cast before you start stripping in line. Lines can sink close to a foot per second these days. It's amazing what big fly line technology has done the last 5-10 years.

A musky eat on a fly, and feeling that take directly from your line to your hand is quite the feeling. It's ruined me. I use the fly a lot more than conventional gear. The challenge level is sort of like hunting with a longbow. I like challenges.[/quote]

Ok, learn something everyday. Thanks.

Back to the original question. If scenery and a good time is the goal with legit shots at mid 40 inch fish and small chance of a 50, take the trip to WI.

If a 50 is the goal and scenery is a distant second don't drive past St Clair.

If scenery with a feel of the Northwoods and a legit crack at a 50, best to drive through WI and stop in MN or continue on to Canada.

Good luck to your son and his decision.

WI_Bucky

Unread postby WI_Bucky » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 am

I second everyone that said 50 will be tough but not impossible. If 50" is the goal of the trip then definitely stay on the north/west side of the state where there is a different genetic stock of muskellunge.

I fished quite a bit on the Wisconsin River with a drift boat or canoe and did extremely well on numbers of fish often reaching the mid 40's but I rarely see a 50+ come out of the WI.

There is a time near the season opener that there are still fish from Green Bay in the Fox River and other tributaries that are up shallow and could be targeted with a fly. That time of year gets a lot of pressure but I would bet that if you catch one that it will be big. Actually, throwing a big fly behind guys constantly dragging bucktails past their face may be a good idea.....
Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you for the local Wisconsin advise. My son has a guide booked for two days during the new moon period around October 8th. He is going to fish a week though. After going with the guide, he will try it on his own. I guess musky fishing follows some of moon theories too. The overhead and underfoot times are good also. The guide is Brad Bohen. According to my son the guide is one of the best fly fishing for musky guides in WI.

I think I might tag along with him and his buddies. I will try some archery hunting and if I am lucky, then I will pull out the fishing tackle. (Spin casting for me, I am not that good with a fly rod)

Thanks again.

Jerry
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Jer-Bear wrote:Thank you for the local Wisconsin advise. My son has a guide booked for two days during the new moon period around October 8th. He is going to fish a week though. After going with the guide, he will try it on his own. I guess musky fishing follows some of moon theories too. The overhead and underfoot times are good also. The guide is Brad Bohen. According to my son the guide is one of the best fly fishing for musky guides in WI.

I think I might tag along with him and his buddies. I will try some archery hunting and if I am lucky, then I will pull out the fishing tackle. (Spin casting for me, I am not that good with a fly rod)

Thanks again.

Jerry

He did good picking Brad. He's one of the best, and is on big fish that time of year. Feel free to PM as the trip gets close, I'll be happy to share what's been working or answer any questions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”