Wisconsin Musky Fly fishing

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Wisconsin Musky Fly fishing

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 am

My oldest son is planning a Wisconsin trip in October to fly fish for some of Wisconsin's muskys. He has been doing pretty good here in PA, his best is 42 but he is looking for a 50. He was looking at fishing near Hayward. He wanted to do river and lake. Any tips on bodies of water for him to fish? He is planning to be there for a week.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

llcooljames

Re: Wisconsin Musky Fly fishing

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 am

I can give you a specific body of water, because I dont know. But thats a beautiful area and there are lots of lakes that hold big fish.
Jer-Bear

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 am

llcooljames wrote:I can give you a specific body of water, because I dont know. But thats a beautiful area and there are lots of lakes that hold big fish.

Thanks. He is doing his cyber scouting now so he is ready for October. I thought that with all the Beasts from Wisconsin, we might get a good lead. I am not a big fisherman, but I may tag along and try some archery hunting and a "little" fishing.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am

Im not a musky fisherman, and I live in the southern part of the state. But I try to get up there at least once or twice a year to chase small mouths. It really is beautiful water.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 am

I fly fish muskies all season long, all over WI. There's a lot of great water in that area, especially the mix of rivers and lakes. What type of boat will he be running? Water temp and where the various lakes are at in regards to turnover will play a huge role in the bodies of water to target during that timeframe.

I'd temper his 50" expectations. While it can happen, it's highly unlikely. I've seen a lot of guys have the wrong expectations for size on WI inland waters...and they are disappointed in a 45" fish, which is a great fish for our inland lakes/rivers. WI inland lakes don't hold 50" fish in high numbers.
sourpuss

Unread postby sourpuss » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 am

If he is looking for a 50", He might want to hire a guide and fish Green Bay. All trolling though.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:27 pm

I'll be blunt.....fly fishing WI musky in search of a 50 incher in October is not a good idea.

Mid September fish will slide shallow, better time for fly fishing. Early October fish could still be shallow or lakes are in turnover phases. Late October most fish will be set up deep.

If your set on October, pick river fishing.

50 inches in inland WI waters are rare. Not a realistic goal. If a 50" fish is the goal, try St Clair, MN or Canada.

WI has ok numbers of 50s in Green Bay but tough to target fly fishing in October, maybe in August when the start to stage in the river systems.

If your son has other goals or reasons to come to WI in October , I say good luck and give it a shot. If his sole purpose is to travel to Hayward area of WI in October, fly fish and target 50 inch fish, bring extra beer along.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I would think fly fishing for the big females would be best post spawn when they are recovering in the shallows. I have seen plenty of big musky in less than 2 feet of water usually before the season opens in the north but depending on the water temp may be really good during the typical opener on Memorial Day Weekend. I agree October would be tough fly fishing especially for a 50”.
sourpuss

Unread postby sourpuss » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

I personally never fly fished for Muskys... but I can say top-water fishing for them at night in northern wi can lead to some interesting scenarios.
Jer-Bear

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:09 am

He has a 16' stealthcraft ATB w/ 30 hp outboard prop. It is a driftboat that can motor or take the motor off and row on a river

Rome wrote:I fly fish muskies all season long, all over WI. There's a lot of great water in that area, especially the mix of rivers and lakes. What type of boat will he be running? Water temp and where the various lakes are at in regards to turnover will play a huge role in the bodies of water to target during that timeframe.

I'd temper his 50" expectations. While it can happen, it's highly unlikely. I've seen a lot of guys have the wrong expectations for size on WI inland waters...and they are disappointed in a 45" fish, which is a great fish for our inland lakes/rivers. WI inland lakes don't hold 50" fish in high numbers.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 am

[quote="Jer-Bear"]He has a 16' stealthcraft ATB w/ 30 hp outboard prop. It is a driftboat that can motor or take the motor off and row on a river

That's a perfect boat for that area. Endless options, just depends on what he wants to experience.

Depth the fish are doesn't matter in fly fishing. We use all sorts of lines to get the fly where it needs to be. That time of year, the Scientific Anglers 3-5 and 3-5-7 are our main go to lines when they slide out a bit deeper.

If he is willing to fork out some coin for a guide, check out Superior Outfitters to have Mike and crew take you on the Bad River. It's a gem, a true wilderness adventure he'll never forget. That body of water is very wild, very tough to access if not a Native American, so the fish aren't too pressured... and they get big, real big.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:05 am

I would look at me namakagon river and lake system I believe the lake has a 50in size limit on musky. I know that there are many 50in caught every year in that system. Its dark water.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 am

Rome wrote:
Depth the fish are doesn't matter in fly fishing. We use all sorts of lines to get the fly where it needs to be. That time of year, the Scientific Anglers 3-5 and 3-5-7 are our main go to lines when they slide out a bit deeper.

[/quote]

I know nothing about fly fishing.....will that line allow lure presentation 20' plus? Cool if it does. I was always of the belief fly fishing is a surface game.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 am

Double post.....
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Rome wrote:

I know nothing about fly fishing.....will that line allow lure presentation 20' plus? Cool if it does. I was always of the belief fly fishing is a surface game.[/quote]

Yup, to get to those depths you need to count it down after the cast before you start stripping in line. Lines can sink close to a foot per second these days. It's amazing what big fly line technology has done the last 5-10 years.

A musky eat on a fly, and feeling that take directly from your line to your hand is quite the feeling. It's ruined me. I use the fly a lot more than conventional gear. The challenge level is sort of like hunting with a longbow. I like challenges.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”