Fly Fishing for Muskie/Pike

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Fly Fishing for Muskie/Pike

Unread postby Trout » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 am

If I could only pick one hobby, it would be hunting whitetails, but my second favorite thing to do is fly fish for pike and muskie. Any other beasts chase toothy critters with the fly rod? I'm in fly tying mode right now as our season is closed or the water is frozen where its not. These are tied almost exclusively with whitetail tail hair, some from deer I've killed, some from hair I purchased. Pike and musky flies are anywhere from 6 to 12" long.

20210308_194941.jpg

20210305_205900.jpg

20210306_105924.jpg

20210302_212910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnwild

Re: Fly Fishing for Muskie/Pike

Unread postby mnwild » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am

Those are some impressive fly's!

I am actually going to try fly fishing for the first time this year in Glacier National Park, along Lake Superior both for trout, but then I am also planning to do some bass and northern fly fishing this summer. The trout fly's I have been looking at are just a little bit smaller than that!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 am

I love musky fishing almost more than deer hunting but never tried fly fishing for them. Those are some cool looking flys. 8-)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:36 am

Those are cool and remind me of the days when I fished steelhead. That’s taken a back burner with spring deer scouting, but my favorite fly was called a hot flash shad or something. A steamer that was pretty deadly.

I have caught pike on a mouse fly too. Even the snake northerns are a blast.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:04 am

I only fly fished a couple times years ago. I really enjoyed it even though i never caught anything. I would like to try again sometime but im concentration on whitetails, and turkeys. Unfortunately work gets in the way. Sure sounds fun. Good luck!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 am

mnwild wrote:Those are some impressive fly's!

I am actually going to try fly fishing for the first time this year in Glacier National Park, along Lake Superior both for trout, but then I am also planning to do some bass and northern fly fishing this summer. The trout fly's I have been looking at are just a little bit smaller than that!

Thats awesome, my wife and I were gonna hit glacier last year but then covid messed it all up and we ended up going on a road trip around southern Utah. We are hoping to make glacier happen in 2022.

greenhorndave wrote:Those are cool and remind me of the days when I fished steelhead. That’s taken a back burner with spring deer scouting, but my favorite fly was called a hot flash shad or something. A steamer that was pretty deadly.

I have caught pike on a mouse fly too. Even the snake northerns are a blast.

I used to be obsessed about steelhead fishing, kind of the same deal. I'd rather deer scout now. I tie a mean mouse

20210303_182049.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:38 am

That's a killer mouse Trout! :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”