New Twist For Perch / Walleye Recipes?

• Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: New Twist For Perch / Walleye Recipes?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:04 am

For batter- I use Shore Lunch Beer Batter. Cant go wrong. Just use a little heavier beer (not dark) like Budweiser or Labatts.
For breading- I just tried a new breading recipe that's REALLY good- Italian bread crumbs mixed with parmesan potato flakes. coat in flour first, then egg wash, then dip it in the crumbs/flake mix.
on the air fryer- we have one and it doesn't work that great for originally frying fish or chicken. It works great second time around though. I would fry regular way first, then when you want leftovers- use the air fryer. Crisps it right back up.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Dewey wrote:Anybody try one of those air fryers for fish?

I have gotten away from oil frying and been baking my fillets in the oven. Wondering how the air fryers work with fish?

This is by far my favorite fish breading mix.

Will share my experience, lord knows I’m not bashful :lol: Best comparison I can make is a meatless hamburger. If you have never a a real hamburger the meatless one would probably be pretty darn good. Now if u have ever experienced a meaty patty smothered in cheese, topped with a greasy bun. Then u would prob be asking wtf is this! That’s my experience with any air fried fish. Rank it right up there next to tofu Turkey
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Anybody try one of those air fryers for fish?

I have gotten away from oil frying and been baking my fillets in the oven. Wondering how the air fryers work with fish?

This is by far my favorite fish breading mix.

Will share my experience, lord knows I’m not bashful :lol: Best comparison I can make is a meatless hamburger. If you have never a a real hamburger the meatless one would probably be pretty darn good. Now if u have ever experienced a meaty patty smothered in cheese, topped with a greasy bun. Then u would prob be asking wtf is this! That’s my experience with any air fried fish. Rank it right up there next to tofu Turkey

I had my doubts how fish would be but I'll give it a try one of these days for the heck of it. The air fryer has been surprisingly excellent for onion rings, fries, mozzarella sticks and cheese curds. I don’t miss deep frying that stuff at all anymore.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 am

For deep fried. Bread it and then refrigerate it before cooking. After done cooking put lawrys garlic salt on them. So dang good.

I also start making walleye Alfredo and walleye cakes (like crab cakes) once i get to a point in the season where i either don’t wana clean up from deep frying or I’m just sick of eating deep fried fish. Those dishes are a big crowd pleaser
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 am

clandestine.misfit wrote:For deep fried. Bread it and then refrigerate it before cooking. After done cooking put lawrys garlic salt on them. So dang good.

I also start making walleye Alfredo and walleye cakes (like crab cakes) once i get to a point in the season where i either don’t wana clean up from deep frying or I’m just sick of eating deep fried fish. Those dishes are a big crowd pleaser

Good tip and those sound good. Got any recipes?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 am

greenhorndave wrote:
clandestine.misfit wrote:For deep fried. Bread it and then refrigerate it before cooking. After done cooking put lawrys garlic salt on them. So dang good.

Good tip and those sound good. Got any recipes?

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/memb ... 145823/amp

Here’s for the walleye cakes. The Alfredo i just sweat some yellow onions. Get a little brown in the pan.add garlic and Deglaze with some Chardonnay but not a ton. Add some tarragon and reduce about 75% then add in a jar of Alfredo. And i like linguini. It’s a firm enough noodle and sticky enough to grab the sauce but it still a little lighter than fettuccini
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 pm

My favorite way of cooking haibut is to cover the bottom of a pan with pcs cut in about 1 inch to 1.5 inch chunks cover with a thin layer of ranch dressing then a layer of shredded cheddar. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Everyone that has tried it loves it. I plan on trying it with salmon and walleye this summer.
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”