Humminbird or Lowrance

• Advertisement

HB Store

forgehunter
500 Club

Re: Humminbird or Lowrance

Unread postby forgehunter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 am

pitz0022 wrote:I have no experience with Bird, but My father in law had a Lowrance HDS10 last summer that wouldn't boot. He took it to Reeds who sent it back to Lowrance for him. That was June. He got a new unit back in the end of August along with a bill for $1,000. I think it overheated and fried something, but I don't have any evidence to support that. I was surprised that they charged him a grand to replace it and that it took so long.

Not to badmouth Lowrance as that is the only bad experience I've had with them, but I swore I would remember his experience with it when it was time for me to upgrade. I am also intrigued by the birds capability of interfacing with the iPilot. I'm paying attention to this thread too.

this is not a surprise to me at all. i have heard mant stories and Lowrance CS and it is NOT good. I sell both products where i work and i will tell you that i hear far more stories about this with Lowrance than Bird...
He would hve been better off not repairing the unit he had and buying a new on for that kind of repair cost .

Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 am

I haven't even taken my Generation 3 HDS 9" out of the box yet. It's such a tough call to go with Bird or Lowrance.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:44 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I haven't even taken my Generation 3 HDS 9" out of the box yet. It's such a tough call to go with Bird or Lowrance.

Let me know if you want to talk a little about it. i sell them both and talk to a LOT of people that use both. I get nothing for selling either one, but there is usually only one I will reccomend to guys...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:54 am

forgehunter wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:I haven't even taken my Generation 3 HDS 9" out of the box yet. It's such a tough call to go with Bird or Lowrance.

Let me know if you want to talk a little about it. i sell them both and talk to a LOT of people that use both. I get nothing for selling either one, but there is usually only one I will reccomend to guys...

I decided I have $2400 to spend after tax (if not online purchase) and shipping. The unit I got is touch (also has regular button menus added back in Gen III), CHIRP sonar, broadband sonar, SI/DI/Struct Scan. I don't need a unit that has cruise control / steering features like this one does (my boat isn't hydraulic steering, etc). I do have a MinnKota V2 with the old iPilot ... would love to link a Humminbird to it. Not currently able to spend the $ on iPilot "Link" right now. Was thinking about buying an Motorguide Xi5 If I keep the Lowrance.

Thoughts?

Can you PM me?

Thanks
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:57 am

No Simrad or Raymarine fans here? I have a Raymarine dragonfly that I love.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Have a review to share bigwoodsmn? I'm in the process of buying another boat that is already equipped with an hds 5 and the iPilot system. I'm debating upgrading to a larger screen unit with structure/side scan instead of adding the structure/side scan only. Curious to hear your thoughts.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Have a review to share bigwoodsmn? I'm in the process of buying another boat that is already equipped with an hds 5 and the iPilot system. I'm debating upgrading to a larger screen unit with structure/side scan instead of adding the structure/side scan only. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I am in the same boat and am leaning more toward Humming Bird because of the programming capabilities with the I pilot.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Have a review to share bigwoodsmn? I'm in the process of buying another boat that is already equipped with an hds 5 and the iPilot system. I'm debating upgrading to a larger screen unit with structure/side scan instead of adding the structure/side scan only. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I am in the same boat and am leaning more toward Humming Bird because of the programming capabilities with the I pilot.

Stay in your own boat! :lol:

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to run the older lowrance as a slave on the bow with a hummingbird master with the link?

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 am

I couldn't be happier.

The StructureScan down scan and side imaging works the same as they did in Gen 1 - they're great. However, the sonar, processing speed, and touch screen are amazing. The CHIRP sonar is crystal clear. The marks are perfect. I can tell fish sizes and separate marks even when they're on top of each other. I can see light marks on the edges of the cone like never before. The unit has a very fast processor. The touch screen is amazing. It's so easy to work through and learn the menus when using a touch screen. It still has physical menu buttons in case you are wearing gloves.

I haven't tried the feature where it wi-fi broadcasts to my tablet or phone. I have not purchased a Motorguide trolling motor yet for link integration but I will. I almost bought a Humminbird so it would link with my MinnKota. I'm happy I gave Lowrance another try - I need a new trolling motor at some point anyway.

... Other thoughts:

Get the largest screen you can. I know that's cliche. I went with the 9" Gen III because that's what I could do. $2500 "total" was my pain point. The next pain point (12" screen) was $3500+. The 9" works great for side imaging because of its horizontal screen layout (similar to Humminbird). I had a 5" and an 8" Gen 1 in the past. I used the 5" for GPS and sonar and the 8" for side imaging. I'm going to look for a good waterproof tablet made for outdoors (maybe Panasonic still makes one) and control the Lowrance Gen III with it.

I haven't heard how well Humminbird and "iPilot Link" (not just "iPilot") work together.
I haven't heard how well Lowrance Gen II and Gen III work with Motorguide Xi5 w/ Link.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:

Stay in your own boat! :lol:

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to run the older lowrance as a slave on the bow with a hummingbird master with the link?

Too funny! I thought about that after I submitted the post.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”