Pike and Muskie

• Advertisement

HB Store

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Re: Pike and Muskie

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Secrets-In-Fisherman-Handbook-Strategies/dp/B000LC0T3K

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

And this one is the same book, just a later edition if I remember correctly.
http://www.amazon.com/Pike-Handbook-Str ... 0929384520

Ordered :) thanx

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:58 am

DNG,

Nice boat.

Take that rig over to St. Clair and do it yourself. We bump into muskies occasionally small mouth fishing.

I was invited to fill a spot on a guided trip about 2 years ago on St. Clair. We caught about 4-5 Muskies. I put picks up here in the fishing forum.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:38 am

It all depends what you're looking for, as others have stated. If you want big fish, LSC and Green Bay are really hard to beat right now. The lakes of northern WI have been great for action this year, but seems everyone around is struggling to find the big fish up there. This cold front we have right now should have them snapping real good.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:41 am

Uncle Lou wrote:DNG,

Nice boat.

Take that rig over to St. Clair and do it yourself. We bump into muskies occasionally small mouth fishing.

I was invited to fill a spot on a guided trip about 2 years ago on St. Clair. We caught about 4-5 Muskies. I put picks up here in the fishing forum.

I am planning on taking a trip over there when the bait fish move into the river.

One reason why I want to go with a guide, is to shorten the learning curve and to see how they do it in lakes that don't rank as high nationally as LSC. Because I live on the west side of the state, I need to figure out how to be effective over here, and LSC can spoil me real quick. I know I can go there and DIY,because I did it last year. I am struggling to find them over here and that needs to change.

I recall the pics! That's part of the reason I started this journey.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:43 am

Dhurtubise wrote:The old in-fisherman "secrets" series are still very relevant today. If you can get your hands on Pike Secrets or Musky Secrets, it's a really good start. I haven't spent that much time with musky, but you start getting into big pike when you start to understand their seasonal patterns. Just like big deer behave differently than small deer, the same goes for Essox Lusius.

I have the pike secrets book. I need to read that again while I wait for the Christmas list.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:03 am

Bucky wrote:GB is not all trolling... plenty of guys do really well casting.

I'm a big fan of Cpt Nolan if you are looking to learn how to troll for trophy eyes or skis on GB. He is one of the best

Casting... I'd try Brett Jolly or Bret Alexander... but I'm guessing by now... 2015 is booked till close!

I would not be suprised at all if multiple 50 lbs skis were caught out of GB this fall. #s and size are now present in the system and they are girthy

Going with Hodag up North sounds like an awesome offer.... he sounds like a great mentor

I would also recommend Brett Jolly - I grew up with him and know he is absolutely obsessed with going after the biggest fish. He is a great guide on Green Bay for Muskie (and Walleye!) and just an all around good guy!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:10 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:

I'm a big fan of Cpt Nolan if you are looking to learn how to troll for trophy eyes or skis on GB. He is one of the best

Casting... I'd try Brett Jolly or Bret Alexander... but I'm guessing by now... 2015 is booked till close!

I would not be suprised at all if multiple 50 lbs skis were caught out of GB this fall. #s and size are now present in the system and they are girthy

Going with Hodag up North sounds like an awesome offer.... he sounds like a great mentor

I would also recommend Brett Jolly - I grew up with him and know he is absolutely obsessed with going after the biggest fish. He is a great guide on Green Bay for Muskie (and Walleye!) and just an all around good guy!

Bucky is right, there is good casting opportunities on GB. I've fished there and little Sturgeon before even the big push. The big fish are there but the area just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't mean one shouldn't try it just because I don't like it.

I fish Ontario waters for big muskie even though GB is probably a 4.5 to 5 hour drive closer than where I fish in Canada.

I thought Brett Jolly was hanging it up? That's what I heard but could be wrong.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Little Ms hodag's muskie from tonight.

I hooked it and she reeled it in. She was pretty excited.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 pm

The smile says it all. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:40 pm

She was a little scared of the first one....

(2) fish in a hour and half of fishing tonight.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:13 am

Jolly is done guiding after this fall

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:23 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Little Ms hodag's muskie from tonight.

Love the picture of your daughter. Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:38 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Little Ms hodag's muskie from tonight.

:clap: :clap:

Great pic Hodag!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 pm

[glow=red]I'm a big fan of Cpt Nolan[/glow]if you are looking to learn how to troll for trophy eyes or skis on GB. He is one of the best

Sounds like he is having a good start to his trolling season per his Facebook page. Over 50 skis boated over the last three weeks and 20 ish of those over the 50" mark. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:34 am

Any recent musky fishing reports?

I'm finally getting out on the water the next few weeks and wondering how fishing has been lately and what they are hitting on? Sucker action picking up yet? I'm especially interested in current reports from Vilas/Oneida counties.

I don't have a ton of experience in fall since I am normally bow hunting so any tips appreciated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”