Pike and Muskie

• Advertisement

HB Store

solocam88
500 Club

Re: Pike and Muskie

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:01 am

I fished a little over there two weeks ago. Boated 1 and had 6 follows. My buddy had a big fish blowup on a slide bait, but never got a hook in it. The swivel was mangled so bad surprised the bait stayed on. The fish were only interested in jerk or slide baits. Nothing else seemed to move em.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:08 am

Just spent 3 days up by Boulder Junction musky fishing and it was the toughest 3 days I ever experienced. Pounded the water hard and never even seen a follow. Even tried some trolling. Not sure if the warm up messed things up or what was going on. Seemed to be the same for everyone we talked to.

Took a buddy up that never experienced musky fishing in the Northwoods and he sure got a taste of the challenge these fish can be. Lot's of good memories regardless of the bad fishing and the fall colors were unbelievable. 8-)

Most amazing sunset I have ever seen in my life. 8-)

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:00 pm

I have been fishing pretty hard for muskies and crappies over the last few weeks.
I experienced my first follow. Felt good to raise a fish. Learning a lot through reading and Joe Buchers channel. I haven't been able to land a guide because they were booked already. I have a cabin rented on a private lake that holds big muskies and pike. I ordered a half gallon of chubs and will be leaving Friday afternoon to fish for 3 days on some great water. Hopefully I will get one in the net. If not, I will still learn a lot and enjoy the break after a long summer of work.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 am

Took a guy from work out Saturday that wants to learn to fish for muskie. We bounced to a few lakes and moved quite a few fish but they were lethargic eaters.

Finally made the call to fish the offshore wind (calm) vs fighting the wind blown edges, even though this is where a majority of the fish were stacked up. By relocating the boat it was easier for him to keep his bait in the strike zone longer.

He wiffed on 2 more on suckers and a few more fish pick up suckers and drop while we were getting in position.

Nothing huge but he was happy with his first muskies.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 pm

I have been looking at buying an Abu Garcia reel for a glide/jerk bait set up. Based on the reviews I have read, things seem to be 50/50 on pro's and cons.
Anyone have any experience or input on which model? Thanks

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:57 pm

I have a Abu Garcia NaCl 50 in 5.4:1 on my small jerkbait rod and love it. For my big jerkbait rod, I have a Daiwa Lexa 400H in 6.4:1 and have been very pleased.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm

I have an original revo high speed that is nice, winch that will be traded off soon, a couple nacl in 5.4:1 that my son mainly runs and picked up a revo toro beast HS 6.4:1 this fall. The abu's are nice reels but I still prefer my shimano TE's.

The TE's aren't made anymore but can still be found. My good buddy picked up a conquest this year and even with the disengaging level wind, a great reel.

Cost comparison, find a good used 400 TE and you're set.

The HS line pick up is nice with smaller jerk baits but ripping rubber a lot the abu's will require rebuilds every year.

I can get two to three years out of rebuilding the TE's. My last two TE rebuilds were about $140-150 a piece. What this means....I may work my reels a little more than the average guy.

If you're just going to utilize on jerk baits and no big rubber try a nacl or the new toro beast in HS.

I have a tranx hg that some guys like for ripping rubber but I dont. I burn 10's with my hg tranx. A tranx hg would be overkill on a jerk bait rod in my opinion.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks for the response. I need to do some research on the reels you mentioned so I can wrap my head around your post entirely.
Sounds to me (without research), that I need to just stick with the Calcutta 400D for the price. The price of the Abu Beast is slightly cheaper than the 400D, which isn't much savings if yearly rebuilds are common.

I did look up the TE's in the 400 series, most of which are on eBay, and one thought I had was "how do I know if these need to be rebuilt?" So to spend the money and be blind to the condition isn't worth the trade off to me.

I'll have to research this more, now that you have helped narrow down my options.

Thank you sir.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:33 am

You don't know for sure on any used reel, as anything, just be carefull on pricing.

I probably wasn't clear enough in my previous post, if you don't rip a lot of big rubber all reels listed above will last for years before rebuilding.

Rome mentions he owns a Lexa HS, will work for what he is using it for. My buddy bought one in the morning and that same afternoon had the gears strip from ripping rubber. Returned it the next day to the sport shop for defective reel.

I can snap the anti-reverse on a Diawa Luna in less than an hour ripping rubber. Using a Luna on smaller stuff and not ripping, the reel will last quite a while.

I don't own a 400d so can't comment on longevity but are a smooth reel. If you like it, run with that. I just didn't think it would hold up to ripping rubber.

If you haven't figured out by now I throw rubber a lot. LOL.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:46 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:You don't know for sure on any used reel, as anything, just be carefull on pricing.

I probably wasn't clear enough in my previous post, if you don't rip a lot of big rubber all reels listed above will last for years before rebuilding.

Rome mentions he owns a Lexa HS, will work for what he is using it for. My buddy bought one in the morning and that same afternoon had the gears strip from ripping rubber. Returned it the next day to the sport shop for defective reel.

I can snap the anti-reverse on a Diawa Luna in less than an hour ripping rubber. Using a Luna on smaller stuff and not ripping, the reel will last quite a while.

I don't own a 400d so can't comment on longevity but are a smooth reel. If you like it, run with that. I just didn't think it would hold up to ripping rubber.

If you haven't figured out by now I throw rubber a lot. LOL.

You ever snag one ripping that hard? I've heard of guys snagging them with bulldawgs on accident. Never did it myself.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:52 am

I just grabbed a Beast in 6.4:1 as well, and am heading up to Hodag's part of the state today through Sunday to give it a good test run. I like how it sits on my St Croix Legend Big Nasty, really looking forward to giving it a good test ride. I needed a breather from the treestand, and figured the best way to clear my head before rut was standing on the casting deck of my boat in Vilas County while dragging some meat!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 am

Hodag, what are your thoughts on Okuma reels for ripping?
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 am

I did manage to find 2 new rods in the Cabelas clearance rack the other day.
A Bulldawg 8.5' for $79 and a Musky Inovations 8' for $72.
Hence the desire for a new real.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:08 am

I bought a Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch a few years back for bigger baits like Bulldawgs, big blade baits and larger crank baits. Sure made fishing long hours so much more enjoyable. The initial cost is high but after burning up other reels over the years it will easily pay for itself. Gonna have to check out a few of the others listed as I want to replace an older Abu C6 on another rod.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:12 am

Rome wrote:I just grabbed a Beast in 6.4:1 as well, and am heading up to Hodag's part of the state today through Sunday to give it a good test run. I like how it sits on my St Croix Legend Big Nasty, really looking forward to giving it a good test ride. I needed a breather from the treestand, and figured the best way to clear my head before rut was standing on the casting deck of my boat in Vilas County while dragging some meat!!!

Good luck Rome. Hope you have better luck than I did a few weeks ago up in Vilas. I have the next few weeks off work so if hunting is too slow I may shoot up there for a few days again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”