Boat electronics question. Down Imaging vs Side Imaging

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Boat electronics question. Down Imaging vs Side Imaging

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:45 am

I'm going to update the electronics on my boat and looking to get the most bang for my buck. It's amazing all the new technology since I last bought a basic depthfinder. :o

My new boat I bought a few years back was already rigged up with a GPS and I love the Lakemaster chip but the screen is just too small so I want to move up to something bigger. Have my eyes on the Humminbird Helix series right now for both my console and bow.

I wanted the main unit on the console to have the most info I can get but have no experience with Down Imaging and Side Imaging. Are these worth getting? It's about an extra $100 each to add. Just wanna make sure I'm not wasting my money on something that is really not needed. If it works well I have no problem spending the money.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

EthanHogan1

Re: Boat electronics question. Down Imaging vs Side Imaging

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 pm

In all honesty I think both have great applications. Running your down scan on split screen gives you a great image directly below boat. I'm sure you already know this but what I mean is just running plain sonar it can be hard separate structure on the boat compared to a fish or multiple fish. So running them side by side you see an arch or arches on down scan and it may look like fish on sonar but turns out it is a lay down with multiple branches seen on down scan. Using down scan is best when looking for fish that you already know are there and a in your general area. It processes a great image at slow speeds or trolling motor. I much prefer down scan if you can not tell, but during the tournament season I use side scan during practice and also tournament day to run down a ledge or a hump for a quick scan of fish or structure either one. I do this because side scan is better at a little faster pace and covers a more broad area of fishing. I know I may have explained things you already know but this is a LONG discussion to type out. Especially if you wanna go into just regular sonar vs down scan vs side scan. Hope this help. It is a lot of money for two big units and big decision. Feel free to PM Dewey. My cousin also works for lowrance and runs a boat electronics website and would be happy to help I'm sure!

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm

You*

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Good info Ethan.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:15 pm

I could write a book on those 3 types of electronics. If you need anything just shoot a PM I be glad to help

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:30 pm

I mostly do some musky fishing. One of my favorite things to target is flooded timber. Problem is finding it is always pretty difficult. With down imaging I would imagine by the time you see it your already on top of it and spook the fish off. This is where side imaging has me very interested. How far away will this pick up structure from the boat and how clear is it?

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:47 pm

I believe it goes out to 100 - 140 feet but resolution goes down. Don't quote me on my numbers because once I set up my graphs they do not move much and my side image is always set to 40-60 ft to the side do to best resolution. The further you scan out the smaller your bottom image will be. If you get past 40-60 ft out the small gold balls on the screen get to small to see. Now that is for smaller game fish such as bass which I target and walleye. You could prolly push it out for a larger fish such as a Muskie.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Golf balls* i refer to fish as golf balls be use that is how they look on down and side image hahaha. If you go through a blow down and it looks like golf balls hanging from the limbs you are in the fish

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Cabela's is running some good deals on electronics right now. I'm due for an upgrade. I'm still rocking a HDS-7 with the iPilot system. Functional but the new technology leaves you wanting more. With the wireless capabilities I also want to waterproof tablet.

There was a good thread last year on the topic. Maybe bigwoods mn was the author?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 pm

That would be this thread. viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29453 Just re-read that one.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Probably a dumb question because I'm learning here but do down and side imaging use the same transducer or is another one added?

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Dewey wrote:Probably a dumb question because I'm learning here but do down and side imaging use the same transducer or is another one added?

It is the same on a hummin bird.
I just bought a new 1199 for my boat. Saved $1200 by buying it just before Chrisrmas. Haven't used it yet. It hooked up, just waiting for ice to leave.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Cool. Thanks.

I knew I could count on getting good answers from you guys. I asked these same questions in the stores and all I got was a deer in the headlights look.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Hummingbird it is one tx stated above. Sounds like you are shopping new but the old lowrance units the non HDS touch and back you have to have a structure scan bundle. That includes a structure scan box and tx

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm

I upgraded to the Garmin system last year with both down image and side image. They are awesome. The Garmin system is super easy to use but in fairness I have other Garmin stuff. I use the side imaging mostly looking for structure. Ledges, rock piles you name it. The imaging is really amazing. No more guessing. I have a harder time seeing fish in both of those modes. I imagine with time I will see them better but I do t fish in as much water as you guys do. I usually map a body of water with my imaging saving way points to come back and fish later. Family booze cruises are perfect for this. My unit came with a transducer that covered everything...

I just found out today that I'm looking at having g to repower my boat. Salt water and I have a love hate relationship.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”