Frustrated with the new boat

  • Advertisement

HB Store


dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 am

Hey guys,
As some of you know I bought a different boat last spring and started fishing out of it late last summer. The question I am about to ask is serious. I'm not one to believe in superstition, but something is definitely happening and I would like some serious input please. I have searched the topic and I can't find a serious conversation to save my life.

My last boat was a 18' flat bottom that I had for 3 years. I caught tons of fish out of that boat. Multiple days per year that were more than stellar. With the family and friends I troll for crappie and panfish. This boat was a fish caring machine. I know it isn't the boat, but the fisherman to a degree.

Now I own an 18' fiberglass deep v with an unpainted white bottom. Since I started fishing out of this boat for crappie and panfish, I have yet to have results anywhere near what I did with the flat bottom. I am fishing the same lakes, same everything as before, but I am really struggling to catch fish period.

My questions are:
1) do you think the difference could be the white bottom verses the green flat bottom?
2)do you believe in boats that put off some sort of negative energy into the water? Non superstitious.

Part of me really feels stupid for asking these questions, but there is such a difference in catch ratio, that my wheels are turning and I know that The Beast has a different bread of members that will help me think this through.

I could paint the bottom of the boat, but then that would lower its value if I decided to sell it because of this issue. I have spoken with friends who are very serious fishermen and they do believe in some boats being "cursed". I find that hard to believe.

Your input would be appreciated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
User avatar
Lockdown
500 Club
Posts: 4310
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:31 am

At first I was thinking the white bottom was it, but in theory that blends in better than a dark color when viewed from below. Lots of fish have white bellies for this reason... Walleye, northerns, great white shark.

I sure wouldn't think it's putting a negative energy in the water.

Out of curiosity how deep are you fishing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckshot20
500 Club
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:02 am
Location: Central Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Buckshot20 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:32 am

I would leave the white bottom. White bottom looks more like a cloud in the sky compared to dark colors. The fish could definitely feel the difference in the boat depending on how much water you are in. In deep water it is not as noticeable but on shallow water the fish can feel the pressure of water displacement in their lateral line. This is super common down here on the saltwater grass flats. The flats down here are between 2-4ft of water though so if you are much deeper than that it may not be the issue. Also I assume you are using a trolling motor to fish. With the new set up there may be more vibration coming from the boat or trolling motor. Just a couple things to look at.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stay humble, be proud, never stop learning
User avatar
Jeff G
Moderator
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:17 am
Location: South East WI
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Jeff G » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:33 am

whats your water temp?
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:36 am

Lockdown wrote:At first I was thinking the white bottom was it, but in theory that blends in better than a dark color when viewed from below. Lots of fish have white bellies for this reason... Walleye, northerns, great white shark.

I sure wouldn't think it's putting a negative energy in the water.

Out of curiosity how deep are you fishing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

For the panfish, I am in 10-15' fow marking fish like crazy on both graphs

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:37 am

Jeff G wrote:whats your water temp?

45 degrees on wind swept side, 48-49 on protected side. 50-51 in the back bays.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:39 am

Lockdown wrote:At first I was thinking the white bottom was it, but in theory that blends in better than a dark color when viewed from below. Lots of fish have white bellies for this reason... Walleye, northerns, great white shark.

I sure wouldn't think it's putting a negative energy in the water.

Out of curiosity how deep are you fishing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I was thinking the same thing with the white bellies of the fish. But most that have white bellies are top predators.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
User avatar
Lockdown
500 Club
Posts: 4310
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:45 am

dirt nap giver wrote:
Lockdown wrote:At first I was thinking the white bottom was it, but in theory that blends in better than a dark color when viewed from below. Lots of fish have white bellies for this reason... Walleye, northerns, great white shark.

I sure wouldn't think it's putting a negative energy in the water.

Out of curiosity how deep are you fishing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I was thinking the same thing with the white bellies of the fish. But most that have white bellies are top predators.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


I see your point. It possibly looks like an 18' great white? Not comforting if you're a crappie... Hmm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:49 am

I am also thinking of boats that are of shallow water use, what color are their bottoms?
I might be grasping for staws...........

I took my Bride fishing last year and this year, even she has made a comment on how this is not normal for me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:51 am

Buckshot20 wrote:I would leave the white bottom. White bottom looks more like a cloud in the sky compared to dark colors. The fish could definitely feel the difference in the boat depending on how much water you are in. In deep water it is not as noticeable but on shallow water the fish can feel the pressure of water displacement in their lateral line. This is super common down here on the saltwater grass flats. The flats down here are between 2-4ft of water though so if you are much deeper than that it may not be the issue. Also I assume you are using a trolling motor to fish. With the new set up there may be more vibration coming from the boat or trolling motor. Just a couple things to look at.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Interesting that you would say that about boat surface and pressure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 am

This is my first deep v boat. All my other boats have been flat bottoms.
The only reason I went to a deep v was for the safety of my grand kids and a white knuckle day on a bigger lake with that flat bottom............
Combined with my desire to start pursuing musky

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
User avatar
Jeff G
Moderator
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:17 am
Location: South East WI
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Jeff G » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:03 am

we caught a few crappies last weekend on open water in WI. water was 46 in the shallows, fish were really slow, not aggressive yet.

I have a deep V lund. i don't think that is your problem. my boat is blue, i would actually prefer the white over the blue.

a heavier boat will be more stealthy (less rocking, better noise dampening, etc.)

give the water a couple weeks and you will slam em!
Buckshot20
500 Club
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:02 am
Location: Central Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Buckshot20 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:10 am

dirt nap giver wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:I would leave the white bottom. White bottom looks more like a cloud in the sky compared to dark colors. The fish could definitely feel the difference in the boat depending on how much water you are in. In deep water it is not as noticeable but on shallow water the fish can feel the pressure of water displacement in their lateral line. This is super common down here on the saltwater grass flats. The flats down here are between 2-4ft of water though so if you are much deeper than that it may not be the issue. Also I assume you are using a trolling motor to fish. With the new set up there may be more vibration coming from the boat or trolling motor. Just a couple things to look at.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Interesting that you would say that about boat surface and pressure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


The pressure is real and it's magnified the shallower the water. Also trolling motor vibration can make a difference. I've seen the redfish down here adapt to trolling motor vibrations, water slaping on the hull and I think they can sense a push pole in the mud. I think they can tell if its a motor guide or a minnkota. If I change settings on my trolling motor I will send fish get up in the flats. I think if it's steady they don't mind but variable trolling speeds changes the vibrations.

On pressure I've noticed a serious difference on how close I can get to fish depending on the boat I'm in. My flats boat is fine in deeper water but in the shallow flats I can't get within casting distance of fish anymore but in a canoe or kayak I can get much closer and if I Wade I can nearly step on them.

Also check your jig colors. I try to match the water color or white. Fish bellies are white so if fish are coming up that is a natural color. Prey animals are always camouflaged so I try to follow that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stay humble, be proud, never stop learning
User avatar
Stanley
Moderator
Posts: 18615
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby Stanley » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 am

Spring time is tough to get on fish until the water temps get up a little higher. Panfish really get going as the water temps climb. When you get a good stretch of 85 degree days you'll do a lot better. I always liked about a week of good warm days in a row Month of May is when that usually happens around here. I don't think the white bottom of the boat is the problem.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dirt nap giver
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Frustrated with the new boat

Postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:14 am

Jeff G wrote:we caught a few crappies last weekend on open water in WI. water was 56 in the shallows, fish were really slow, not aggressive yet.

I have a deep V lund. i don't think that is your problem. my boat is blue, i would actually prefer the white over the blue.

a heavier boat will be more stealthy (less rocking, better noise dampening, etc.)

give the water a couple weeks and you will slam em!

Your water temp comment has me reflecting upon last season and when I actually started fishing with this boat.
After getting it ready for the water, I fished by myself quite a bit. I had a musky follow a top water till it was 12-15' from the boat, then turned and bolted.
I did catch some fish casting, but trolling for any species has struggled.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest