Any noodlers here?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Any noodlers here?

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Outside of deer and turkey season, about the only other thing I look forward to is digging around in the creeks and rivers for a big flathead. It's more of a southern tradition but still curious to see who has gone or goes.

First one of the year

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Any noodlers here?

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

I'd love to do that! But how do you know you're not reaching into a big snapping turtle den? That's the only thing keeping me from trying it up here in Wisconsin.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:09 am

matt1336 wrote:But how do you know you're not reaching into a big snapping turtle den?

I've never found a turtle in any hole I've checked for fish. I think it's the kind of water I'm fishing in. Moving, stained/muddy water isn't a preffered place for snapping turtles to be. I'm more worried about beavers in the water and snakes being just above head level on the bank.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 am

Hm. Well snapper for sure live in most if not all water up here. In my experience anyways. A beaver would not be fun either. So what you're saying is that you have to be kinda nuts. Do you know anyone to have gotten bit by something other that a cat down there?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:34 am

matt1336 wrote:Hm. Well snapper for sure live in most if not all water up here. In my experience anyways. A beaver would not be fun either. So what you're saying is that you have to be kinda nuts. Do you know anyone to have gotten bit by something other that a cat down there?

I know others that have been bitten by snakes and one bitten by a beaver. The key is checking places that don't have an air cavity. Any hole that leads up vertically on the bank I'd think twice before finding the back of it. It's definitely a "feel for" game. You can't see where the fish are, you're using your hands, feet, and sometimes a stick ( extension when your legs aren't long enough) to find fish. Sometimes they find you first, especially if one or both fish sitting on eggs already laid. And yes you gotta be a little crazy to do it. I've been called it a time or two! :think:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 am

What's your biggest?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am

stash59 wrote:What's your biggest?

50-55lbs. Most that I catch are 20-40lbs. You fish bigger water you find bigger fish. I'm usually walking the creeks that run into the rivers.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:

50-55lbs. Most that I catch are 20-40lbs. You fish bigger water you find bigger fish. I'm usually walking the creeks that run into the rivers.

That's impressive. A fish that big must ve shook the heck out of your arm. The closest thing ive ever done to noodling involves a microwave and a campbells soup can, but I don't think that counts...
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

I had an ex gf's dad take me when I lived in Louisville. We did not get any just dug around in some sunken 50gal barrels. The said it wasn't a good time to go and I think it was more to see if I had it in me... We became really good friends.

Not so much the ex an I
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:56 am

jman22 wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:

That's impressive. A fish that big must ve shook the heck out of your arm. The closest thing ive ever done to noodling involves a microwave and a campbells soup can, but I don't think that counts...

You're grabbing these fish when they're fresh. They aren't worn down from a fight on rod and reel so yes they can shake you off and knock you out of the whole if they want to.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 pm

I used to noodle when I was in high school. I grew up within a short drive of the red river on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. There's LOTS of good noodlin in those parts. I agree with you, I have never had anything but a fish in a hole, but those moccasins on the banks and branches are the devil.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:38 pm

IkemanTx wrote:I used to noodle when I was in high school. I grew up within a short drive of the red river on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. There's LOTS of good noodlin in those parts. I agree with you, I have never had anything but a fish in a hole, but those moccasins on the banks and branches are the devil.

I live in "those parts". Located about 30 miles north of the Red. Everything we run eventually dumps into either the Washita or Red River. Ever hunt any of the public when you were up this way?
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:I used to noodle when I was in high school. I grew up within a short drive of the red river on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. There's LOTS of good noodlin in those parts. I agree with you, I have never had anything but a fish in a hole, but those moccasins on the banks and branches are the devil.

I live in "those parts". Located about 30 miles north of the Red. Everything we run eventually dumps into either the Washita or Red River. Ever hunt any of the public when you were up this way?

I hunt the corps land on both sides of Texoma, and mostly on the west side of the lake. I also hit several spots in Texas, though they get a lot of pressure. One of these days, I want to spend a season hitting the 4 properties east of stringtown though. Those look well worth the effort.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:28 am

Noodling isn't legal here, I think they are trying to prevent the taking of females guarding a nest. I might have tried it in my younger, crazier days if it had been legal, not so much now.

Papaw (Grandpa) told stories of drowned noodlers found with bite marks way up on their arms from the area he lived at in Kentucky, but I think they might have been just stories. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:33 am

If you can get me onto cats like the one in that picture I will be in the truck and on the way!!! :D Looks like a blast. I have tried it up here but have only got carp and bullheads.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”