Any noodlers here?

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: Any noodlers here?

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:54 pm

dan wrote:If you can get me onto cats like the one in that picture I will be in the truck and on the way!!! :D Looks like a blast. I have tried it up here but have only got carp and bullheads.

With the water level settling in the creeks and rivers, they're starting to pack all the spawning holes/dens. Let me know when you get here! :lol:

Pulled 2 more yesterday

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm

I do it a bit May-June. My best friend is big time in it and tends to win em all tourney wise. 80 to 90 lbs pretty common in our local mud hole
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

It’s been kind of a weird year so far but managed to finally pull one out today. Not too big but finally some fresh fish in the freezer nonetheless.

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm

We got this one last week. He was 92lb that's the biggest I've seen in my home lake. My buddy actually caught it I just blocked the hole.

-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:We got this one last week. He was 92lb that's the biggest I've seen in my home lake. My buddy actually caught it I just blocked the hole.

“He” was 92lb? Would’ve thought that was a sow being that big. Lots of belly meat for the deep fryer.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:We got this one last week. He was 92lb that's the biggest I've seen in my home lake. My buddy actually caught it I just blocked the hole.

“He” was 92lb? Would’ve thought that was a sow being that big. Lots of belly meat for the deep fryer.

Lol u r right she, just have a habit about calling all fish he. No deep fryer, let this one go back. Have a tourney coming up, we were actually pulling all the smaller ones out and dropping em off elsewhere in hopes of bigger ones moving in when we latched onto this one. Took afew pics then sent her back. Gonna be a good year lakes are full and lots of good holes.
-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:

Lol u r right she, just have a habit about calling all fish he. No deep fryer, let this one go back. Have a tourney coming up, we were actually pulling all the smaller ones out and dropping em off elsewhere in hopes of bigger ones moving in when we latched onto this one. Took afew pics then sent her back. Gonna be a good year lakes are full and lots of good holes.

Very nice. I mostly run the small creeks around here and the majority of fish we catch are 20-40lb range. Hoping to hit some rivers and lakes this year since my buddy finished his boat. Easier access and bigger fish. It’s nice cleaning one fish and getting 2+ gallons of meat.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am

I worked in the DNR Fisheries for almost 20 years (including crappy seasonal work) and the ol Pylodictis olivaris is my all time favorite fish. We had a few PIT tag studies and we caught flathead in every body of water Iowa had to offer.... reservoirs , rivers, and creeks with every method we could use... Fyke nets, hoop nets, rod/reel, and electro shocking boats. Such a cool fish and a prime time apex predator of the deep. I was never around when we caught "big ones " but have helped bring in dozens in that 50-60# range. The only one I've ever seen, in person, over 80# was in the Mississippi river museum in Dubuque, Iowa . Those southern reservoirs are the place to be for the giants. Year round growth. I'd love to watch some noodling.... not sure I'd stick my hand in a hole with one over 50# unless I was a few beers in!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 am

I've seen videos and what not, so whats the deal? You reach in and they latch on or are you grabbing on to them? Are you just grabbing whatever you can, gills, mouth, whatever?

Looks wild.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:14 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:I've seen videos and what not, so whats the deal? You reach in and they latch on or are you grabbing on to them? Are you just grabbing whatever you can, gills, mouth, whatever?

Looks wild.

There in the holes laying on there nests, they have the instinct to attack anything that goes in the hole. Most times u will be inching your hand in there and whack! Like a volt of electricity. The way there teeth angle back u don't wanna try to rip your hand out, just let em take then I try to use my other hand and grab behind gills, this usually kicks off a death roll and you end up holding fish by the mouth. I've also caught quite afew with my foot instead of hand in deep holes. It's fun, but one of those things that isn't for everyone.
-John Wayne-
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sun May 27, 2018 5:15 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:I've seen videos and what not, so whats the deal? You reach in and they latch on or are you grabbing on to them? Are you just grabbing whatever you can, gills, mouth, whatever?

Looks wild.

There in the holes laying on there nests, they have the instinct to attack anything that goes in the hole. Most times u will be inching your hand in there and whack! Like a volt of electricity. The way there teeth angle back u don't wanna try to rip your hand out, just let em take then I try to use my other hand and grab behind gills, this usually kicks off a death roll and you end up holding fish by the mouth. I've also caught quite afew with my foot instead of hand in deep holes. It's fun, but one of those things that isn't for everyone.

Haha, that pretty wild. Those 60+lbers must be a handful to control.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am

Some are and some come out fairly easy. Depends on depth of water, when u can't get good footing it's a nightmare. It's also fun to just pull eating size channels and blues out of rip rap. When the spawn is on you can fill a basket of 2-5 pounders in no time. Also fun for older kids they enjoy plucking the lil guys
-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm

I’ve seen 20# fish blow a 250# man out of the hole and I’ve seen 50#+ fish act like a trained horse on a lead. Flatheads normally just try to to avoid getting caught after one bite. Channels are biting little pricks and blues are just flat out mean.
muddy wrote:I worked in the DNR Fisheries for almost 20 years (including crappy seasonal work) and the ol Pylodictis olivaris is my all time favorite fish. We had a few PIT tag studies and we caught flathead in every body of water Iowa had to offer.... reservoirs , rivers, and creeks with every method we could use... Fyke nets, hoop nets, rod/reel, and electro shocking boats. Such a cool fish and a prime time apex predator of the deep. I was never around when we caught "big ones " but have helped bring in dozens in that 50-60# range. The only one I've ever seen, in person, over 80# was in the Mississippi river museum in Dubuque, Iowa . Those southern reservoirs are the place to be for the giants. Year round growth. I'd love to watch some noodling.... not sure I'd stick my hand in a hole with one over 50# unless I was a few beers in!

They are a pretty special fish. Stealthy predators of the night. Very beautiful as well. If they didn’t taste as good as they do I probably couldn’t bring myself to keeping them. :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 28, 2018 2:44 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:I’ve seen 20# fish blow a 250# man out of the hole and I’ve seen 50#+ fish act like a trained horse on a lead. Flatheads normally just try to to avoid getting caught after one bite. Channels are biting little pricks and blues are just flat out mean.
muddy wrote:I worked in the DNR Fisheries for almost 20 years (including crappy seasonal work) and the ol Pylodictis olivaris is my all time favorite fish. We had a few PIT tag studies and we caught flathead in every body of water Iowa had to offer.... reservoirs , rivers, and creeks with every method we could use... Fyke nets, hoop nets, rod/reel, and electro shocking boats. Such a cool fish and a prime time apex predator of the deep. I was never around when we caught "big ones " but have helped bring in dozens in that 50-60# range. The only one I've ever seen, in person, over 80# was in the Mississippi river museum in Dubuque, Iowa . Those southern reservoirs are the place to be for the giants. Year round growth. I'd love to watch some noodling.... not sure I'd stick my hand in a hole with one over 50# unless I was a few beers in!

They are a pretty special fish. Stealthy predators of the night. Very beautiful as well. If they didn’t taste as good as they do I probably couldn’t bring myself to keeping them. :lol:

The worst I got ripped up was from a 30# channel... his tooth patch was ridiculously sharp. Then a few days later I shocked a hole and a 54# came up by me in the back. I shut the juice off and grabbed him by hand, turned the juice back on and zapped a 65#. Shut the juice off as the better didn't see him and grabbed him in my other hand by him. It was awesome, then we floated into a giant log jam because the netters were laughing st the boat driver (me) struggling with 110# of flathead. It was a good day. I'll look for that pic.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 am

10 minutes after the brush pile pic!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”