Braided line

• Advertisement

HB Store

Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Braided line

Unread postby Newhunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 pm

:?: Braided line, yay or nay, reason?

I've never used braided line and I am really curious as to whether or not it's worth it and does it live up to the hype or fall short.

I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Braided line

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Depends on the application. Very tough, very sensitive, no stretch, great castability. It's great for big fish in tight cover. I use about 6' of florocarbon leader with it. With big open water fish with aggressive strikes mono can be better because it does stretch. I feel like mono is better trolling.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 pm

I just made the switch to braided line on my smallmouth setup and liking the results so far. Can def notice a difference in castability. I also use a fluoro leader. Here's a few articles on the subject.

http://www.kayakfishinginstructor.com/c ... s-fishing/

http://smallmouthangler.com/choosing-a- ... s-fishing/
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Braid with a flouro leader is all I use unless i'm trout fishing. You can't beat the sensitivity of it. You can feel the slightest bump of a fish even when your WAY out from the boat. It's a slight pain tying on new leaders but other than that I love it.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 am

Like everyone else are use braided line with a fluoro carbon leader. I use it for almost all applications, even trolling although I will admit that the stretch in the monofilament line really helps damper the hits while trolling.

Do you need to learn a good night to bridge the Monofilament and the fluorocarbon lines. Are use what is called an Albright knot. You can find it on animatedknots.com.

Do some research. Not all braided line is equal. For smaller fish, under 10 pounds are usually use do some research. Not all braided line is equal. For smaller fish, under 10 pounds are usually use A braided line called Nanofil. It's made by Berkeley. It's castability is second to none but you have to be careful that the line doesn't catch well casting or you lose a ton of lures.

Another thing is that if you're new to braided line, don't worry in by heavier than you normally would have for the same application with monofilament line. For example are used to fish Northerns with 20 pound mono but now I rarely use anything under 50 pounds with the same fish. Are used to have it to use a bait caster but can get away with using a large spinning reel with the braided line.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 am

I fish for pike and musky, 80# braid has become a standard and is well worth it, even in lighter #'s.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 am

Like others have said it really depends on the situation. For example, too water, braid doesn't float so you get a more natural action with mono. Live lining bait fish for stripers (rockfish where I live) the fish has the same advantage from the braid as you do as a fisherman, it's easier for them to feel your rod on the other end. So many people prefer mono for that also. Fish that are leader shy or in really clear water I always use flourocarbon leader.

I like braid when I'm in need of feeling everything like jigging around structure.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:54 am

Buckshot20 wrote:Depends on the application.

Completely agree with this. I tend to think about line as a fishing "tool". And when it comes to tools, usage is all about application. Rudimentary analogy: you wouldn't use a hammer to screw in a screw if you had a screwdriver available.

Under the right conditions, braid is by far the best choice. But other conditions may dictate flouro or mono as a better choice. Some conditions could be an either/or personal preference situation.

One feature of braided line I didn't notice having been mentioned yet is that it floats. If you like fishing topwater, it's a must to have line that floats (braid or mono) to have good natural action. Personally my favorite fishing tactic is fishing a hollow-belly frog for largemouth bass. I don't use anything other than 65# power pro braid for that.

Wlog wrote:braid doesn't float

:think: We seem to be presenting conflicting info here. Maybe some don't but the braid I use floats.
Last edited by SMS79 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:03 am

On a spinning reel, braid is a must to keep from getting twirly birds all in your line. It has no memory. Leader is also a must due to braid not having no stretch. If you are fishing in rocks or rip rap I recommend just mono, those rocks cut through braid like butter.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 am

I love the feel of braid. I love the sensitivity and the solid back wall on hook sets. I love how I can control a big fish and pull it out of structure. I use an albertos knot to a flouro leader.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:43 am

They both have their advatages. Mono is a lot more user friendly. I run 6 lb on most of my rods. There is a trick to preventing those mono birds nest. Anytime you respool your rod dip the reel in hot water. It will set ur line to your reel instead of holding memory of the spool it came on from the store. I also like mono better for line shy fish.

Braid is nice if I want distance. If I'm shore fishing into the great lakes I will have one rod rigged with braid. It's also a lot more sensitive n I get better hook sets with it. The braid I use floats. I run 6lb in 2lb diameter. I can land just about any fish in Michigan on 6lb, minus a big king. I don't like that it seems to tie itself in crazy knots easily. I also have to carry something to cut it. It also will slice my hands up easy.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 am

SMS79 wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:Depends on the application.

Completely agree with this. I tend to think about line as a fishing "tool". And when it comes to tools, usage is all about application. Rudimentary analogy: you wouldn't use a hammer to screw in a screw if you had a screwdriver available.

Under the right conditions, braid is by far the best choice. But other conditions may dictate flouro or mono as a better choice. Some conditions could be an either/or personal preference situation.

One feature of braided line I didn't notice having been mentioned yet is that it floats. If you like fishing topwater, it's a must to have line that floats (braid or mono) to have good natural action. Personally my favorite fishing tactic is fishing a hollow-belly frog for largemouth bass. I don't use anything other than 65# power pro braid for that.

Wlog wrote:braid doesn't float

:think: We seem to be presenting conflicting info here. Maybe some don't but the braid I use floats.

You're right. I stand corrected. Depends on manufacturer and material they used. Sorry for the confusion.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Like was said, it's really up to application for me.

I didn't like it for trolling. It worked. But I had line twist issues even with good swivels. That was saltwater and trolling Spanish trees.

Another application I don't use it and wish I could is trout fishing. I fish hand made spinners and I cast and go covering around a mile and hour, depending on the stream size..it's fast fishing.. accurate casts are essential. Feeling the light taps would be a GIANT benefit...but the spinners cause line twists. I regularly cut a few feet off and re-tie mono. I do wanna experiment next year with braid and a GOOD tiny swivel and a mono or floro leader..MIGHT be the answer to the issue.

The sensitivity is un-matched. Huge benefit there.

Cost is a factor....but, braid will last a VERY long time...where mono doesn't. Mono breaks down due to heat and light. I'm guilty of keeping rods in my truck. My trout rod has been in the truck since March...I re-spool every couple trips though because I cut off so much line and like a full spool for accurate casts. I've had braid on a reel for like 10 years and just took it off just because the age bugged me...but it didn't seem to be any weaker. It was fished HARD too. 3 years I fished it over 100 days a year in saltwater I'd bet.

Like was said, abrasion and braid doesn't mix. It weakens it significantly and usually it'll just break through. It's gotten better...but still doesn't match mono...well...HEAVY 40+ mono. Any lighter mono, and I see it as a null point from my experience. Nick up light 4lb mono with light nicks and ive had creek chubs break off. But say catfishing heavy structure in the river..it's a catch 22 thing IMO. You can really put the screws to a fish with 65-80+lb braid and keep it from getting in a log jam or whatever...but if it does get ran across rock or debris you stand to loose it...I've seen good 40lb mono chewed up pretty badly and still land a 20lb flathead...

Braid typically casts much better.. especially when you start talking heavy line. I've ran 30lb mono and 65lb braid on the same rig and loose a good bit of distance with mono.

Braid is GREAT when you need line capacity. I shark fished off the beach with 65lb braid on spinning reels. 300yds of it. Don't know what the 6-7ft blacktips and giant butterfly and southern stingrays weighed...let alone the fight they out up...but I needed the braid capacity and strength. Actually had a shark spools me...which I knew was a possibility with a light setup...I couldn't afford bigger and wasn't going to kayak baits out fishing alone...

Pros and cons to both.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I have been using 80 lb PowerPro braided line with fluoro leaders for musky for many years now. No stretch which is great for setting hooks and the sensitivity is great for feeling lighter hits on the bait and especially for feeling contact with structure or weeds.
Jerky,mmm.

Unread postby Jerky,mmm. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm

I have been a huge fan of stren super braid. I use the 20 lb on all my spin reels. Heavy cover or docks I tie directly to the bait using a polomar knot. For deeper finesse approaches I use a flouro leader uni-to-uni knot. (Drop shot, jig, Texas-rig, etc.)

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”