The Trash Fish Lie

• Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: The Trash Fish Lie

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 am

Crappie are good. I keep them when I catch them, but the meat is a little “mushy” compared to others around here.

Speaking of bullhead yes they’re good. They’re just a dang ugly fish. They aren’t as common around here as they used to be, but they even have bullhead fish frys around here.

Most common are smelt feeds. Eating smelt is kinda like eating minnows :D

I’m sure water temp plays a factor with a lot of fish species around the country. I’ve heard guys say they’ll keep largemouth bass in the winter but not summer. Bass are a mushy meat too.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 am

I had the same aha moment as the OP a few years ago on sheepshead/ freshwater drum. They are pretty darn good as it turns out. I've done fish cakes and smoked them too, very good stuff.

Agree with some of the others on crappies being mushy. I still eat plenty, but greatly prefer true bluegills (green sunsfish/pumkinseeds are a little mushy for me too). Bluegill tacos is on of my favorite meals. I'm also not a huge fan of channel cats, but bullheads are great. Always tasted a little sweeter that channels for me.

I've tried common carp a few times, but mostly muddy water and big fish. Just don't think I could bring myself to do it again, even out of better water. The asian carp are supposed to be better, but haven't had a chance to try the yet.

Northerns are one of my favorites, prefer them over walleyes. Smallmouths out of nice cold water (Lake Michigan for me) are also grade A table fare.

Need to catch me some gar, have herd really good things....
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:57 am

Lockdown wrote:Crappie are good. I keep them when I catch them, but the meat is a little “mushy” compared to others around here.

Speaking of bullhead yes they’re good. They’re just a dang ugly fish. They aren’t as common around here as they used to be, but they even have bullhead fish frys around here.

I’m sure water temp plays a factor with a lot of fish species around the country. I’ve heard guys say they’ll keep largemouth bass in the winter but not summer. Bass are a mushy meat too.

Is this something you have personally experienced? I have had so many people tell me that too. I've NEVER had that experience, even on warm weather largies.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:21 am

I've always stayed away from keeping bass in the summer because I thought they had worms in the summer. That's probably another fish lie that was told to me haha
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:10 am

Kraftd wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Crappie are good. I keep them when I catch them, but the meat is a little “mushy” compared to others around here.

Is this something you have personally experienced? I have had so many people tell me that too. I've NEVER had that experience, even on warm weather largies.

I haven’t ate one for a long time. But yes they just don’t have a “solid” flake to the meat like a walleye does. They’re softer/mushier.

I would guess 75% of fisherman don’t keep bass around here. Dave I assume keeping bass is more common around your parts?

I’m intrigued now. Gonna have to keep the next one I catch to give it another try.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 am

Lockdown wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

I haven’t ate one for a long time. But yes they just don’t have a “solid” flake to the meat like a walleye does. They’re softer/mushier.

I would guess 75% of fisherman don’t keep bass around here. Dave I assume keeping bass is more common around your parts?

I’m intrigued now. Gonna have to keep the next one I catch to give it another try.

Not at all, I'd bet 95% C&R on bass by me. I felt the same way you did, but again, similar to the OP, a few summers ago kept a three pounder out of a warm muddy river in august just to see, and the meat had no real off taste, and wasn't quite as firm as a cold water smallie, but certainly wouldn't call it mushy. Been keeping a few a year since to the same results. Was just surprised because all I'd ever heard was warm weather largemouths were poor eating, s never bothered to give it a try.

To the points earlier in the thread though, mine go straight from alive to being bled and cooked or frozen in a short period of time. I believe that makes a big difference, especially out of muddier water.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:12 am

muskieman wrote:Another tasty one is eel pout. We catch some ice fishing northern MN lakes in winter. We still cook them how Grandpa did, cube up and boil in Sprite and then dip in garlic butter. Poor man lobster! I haven't tried Drum but will give it a try next time I'm out and catch a few.....

Been throwing them back for years before I heard about this, still haven't given it a try because I haven't caught one in a long while but I will be sure to keep one the next go around.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I've always stayed away from keeping bass in the summer because I thought they had worms in the summer. That's probably another fish lie that was told to me haha

Virtually every walleye we keep from Lake Erie has tapeworms. It is rather disgusting to see them floating around in the cooler, but I was always told freezing and cooking both kill them, and I ain't about to eat walleye sushi, so I just carry on and try not to think about it.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:24 am

elk yinzer wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:I've always stayed away from keeping bass in the summer because I thought they had worms in the summer. That's probably another fish lie that was told to me haha

Virtually every walleye we keep from Lake Erie has tapeworms. It is rather disgusting to see them floating around in the cooler, but I was always told freezing and cooking both kill them, and I ain't about to eat walleye sushi, so I just carry on and try not to think about it.

My understanding is pretty close to 100% of freshwater fish have parasites of one kind or another. Freezing and cooking kill them. I prefer to just not think about it and truck forward, but yeah, there is a reason freshwater sushi isn't a thing.
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:30 am

This guy has a bunch of good catch and cook videos (EliasVFishing). He tries all fish, including "trash" fish, and gives an honest evaluation. Good place to pick up some interesting recipes too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaI2Lc ... AbtvM00OXg
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:44 am

Boogieman1 wrote:First off, happy Memorial Day to ya! 2nd how's the journey with the bow 'n Arrow coming along? If I remember correctly u just got your first set up not to long ago. You kicken names and taken Ace lol

Happy belated memorial day to you too! I'm doing pretty good with it if I say so myself. I've got my groupings where I want them. Next step is picking up some heavier arrows and getting the bow tuned for the heavier shafts + broadheads. Very much looking forward to September.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Kraftd wrote:

I’ve found that you have to pay more attention to taking care of fish when the water is warmer. So it’s easier for the meat to get mushy because it’s in a sense harder to properly care for the fish.

In my experience, the only real bad fish I have eaten, were caught between Memorial Day, and early fall. I’m sure it’s a coincidence, but that is just what I have seen. I’m sure it’s a combination of poor preparation and keeping fish I shouldn’t have kept (bigger and older).

If you care for the fish properly, there is no reason for quality to suffer. It’s just of higher importance in warm water. Same with deer in hot weather. Much easier to screw up a deer in 90 degree temps compared to sub freezing. But do it correctly and you won’t know the difference.

I tried keeping a bass once. Stunk to high heaven when I cleaned it. A buddy of mine got violently sick from eating one as well. I never struggle to catch something else to eat, and salmon goes on sale often.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:08 pm

The reason I found that sheapheads were good was when I would go channel cattin on the Wisconsin River and catch them. I would use them for cut bait with little results. As I cut them up I was surprised the meat was so white. It dawned on me one day why I dont catch channel cats of sheaphead cut bait. It is cause there is so little oil in the meat. That tells ya it is good to fry. I tried them and was surprised that they were as good as they were.I keep them when I dont get quite a whole meal when I fish for bluegills on the Missy or perch on Lake Winnebago. I do however love fish and will eat most anything. I used to eat a lot of channel cats but wont fry one anymore, but they are very good smoked and only keep when they are about 12-15" long. For some reason they are superior than the bigger channel cats, and I think a small 12" channel cat is about as good a smoked fish as you will find except maybe Lake Micigan trout. I , since I live only 26 mi, from Lake Winnebago also, keep my fair share of whitebass. About 3 weeks ago I caught a bunch along with several walleye. I thought the walleye were somewhat tasteless and the whitebass were as good or better. My wife, the fussiest woman you will ever meet like the whitebass better but only cause the walleye had small Y bones in them. Honestly , I would take bluegill over any fish, but I love fish .

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”