Getting back into muskie hunting

• Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Getting back into muskie hunting

Unread postby The Silence » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:04 am

The only time I went muskie hunting was back in the 1980's when I attended an In-Fisherman's Camp Fish for muskies that my wife sent me to. Had a great time but wasn't able to put one in the boat. I wasn't able to continue hunting the big boys because we headed overseas for over a decade soon after that. I've been wanting to get back into it and my opportunity is finally arriving in August. I will be spending a week up at Lake of the Woods with some experienced anglers but I wanted to get your guys' advice as well. I know this is a massive topic but I figured I needed to start somewhere. I know things have changed a lot since "back in the day" especially with equipment but I'm sure many of the fundamentals remain the same. I will be fishing from someone else's boat so any thing to do with electronics, various motors etc. is already covered. This primarily has to do with rods, reels and tackle, not to mention other basic fundamentals such as figure 8's or specific tactics for this time of year etc. Keep in mind I will be fishing in Lake of the Woods in the Sabaskong Bay area in August. You could call this basic advice for a greenhorn. This is what I currently own from back in the 80's: a 6' graphite St. Crouix rod (Lure Wt. 1-3 oz.// Line Wt. 15-30 lb.), Ambassadeur 6500c, along with 10-15 musky baits including bucktails, suicks, reef hogs, cisco kids and a top water bait of some type. Back in the day I was using stainless steel leaders w/o split rings and 36 lb. braided dacron line (boy have lines changed since then). At this point, I'm leaning against buying another reel but a longer rod should probably be bought along with several season/Lake of the Woods specific baits. A couple last questions: (1) since so many of the newer electronics include great lake maps, do you guys still feel it necessary to purchase high quality water proof depth maps from the Canadian forest service. I have several of them from walleye fishing up north and they really seemed to come in handy for a macro view of the basic layout of the lake and finding out where I was located. Also, since the electronics aren't mine, do you guys use any apps on your phone that can mark spots without cell service up there such as the onX hunt app for hunting. Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”