Lund SSV vs Mirrocraft ???

• Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Lund SSV vs Mirrocraft ???

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:36 am

I'm in a tossup right now - Lund SSV 18 or Mirrocraft 1876

Could possibly do with a 16 but gonna be running 3 or 4 folks a trip for a while and want to have the utility openess to the boat, enough room for 4 folks, and for it to be as light as possible. Both these boats fall in the 450# bracket.

The SSV has more V to it than the Mirrocraft - better in waves at the cost of stability, I'm guessing. Mirrocraft has pretty flat back half - floats shallower and seemingly more stable.

Anyone own or been in either of these boats. I'd prefer the SSV if it is stable cause I will do some offshore fishing in it. The Mirrocraft is the only other 18 ft utility type aluminum I can find, and as such is the alternative.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Lund SSV vs Mirrocraft ???

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:44 am

Both good boats.

I've always looked for stability as one of the first pieces of criteria...
No substitute for girth and/or weight when waters turn ugly...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks, Ed.

Amazing how weight makes such a big diff in the ride. Hull design is one thing but weight helps smooth things out more.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 am

Personally I think Lund is really overpriced and you pay more for the name. I really like alumacrafts but if you have to get a boat made, it takes forever.

And get something really wide. Never knew stable until I got in a wide boat. Can stand on one side to take a leak and not even rock the boat
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:00 am

I would go with Lund for the durability and the resale value. I owned a 16ft Smokercraft and this is very similar to the Microcraft. I liked the boat but it was no Lund.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:49 am

It is real difficult to find either brand in FL. We are the land of fiberglass boats down here. Iffn it aint a 14 ft aluminum john boat, it most likely is fiberglass.

Lund & Mirrocraft are the only manufacturers I could find that make an 18 utility style V hull. Everyone makes a 16, Lund & Mirrocraft have 74 inch wide and 35, 33 inch bows, respectively. The 18s are 76 inches wide - a relatively skinny boat but time proven and that extra 2 ft length makes a big diff in handling.

Another point is the price. they are pricey.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”