Nice pike out of a small MN spillway

• Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

Nice pike out of a small MN spillway

Unread postby crackehelmet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Caught this 37 inch pike out of a spillway a couple few days before Christmas. She gave me landing her because most of the shore had about a foot and a half of ice along the edge and she was too long for my net, so each time I'd try I couldn't get a full half of her in so she'd flip out and take another run of drag off my reel. Was an amazing fight.

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Nice pike out of a small MN spillway

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 am

Beautiful fish
Ryan
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am

:clap: :clap:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:45 am

Dandy!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 am

:clap:
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:54 am

:clap:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:54 am

Good to see a fishing thread!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 am

Maverick1 wrote:Good to see a fishing thread!

I come here to learn from people how to hunt, and I have so little to be able to give back in that area, I figure I can at least supply fish photos now and then :D

Finding this spot close enough to home for afternoon trips in early fall made my year for fishing. I don't have a boat and most of the shore fishing spots I know are feast or famine (mostly famine) but this spot has produced consistently with a good variety. walleyes, rock bass, crappie in the 11-12 inch range, super solid small mouths and just Killer pike fishing. If you put a paddle tail on a jig head, you WILL catch a fish.

Here's a couple more fish I took pictures of out there.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:27 am

Nice catch! Need to work on your hero shots though. Absolutely no smiling, ever! Need to look serious like it’s just another day for this American bad boy, suggest putting on some face paint that always helps. Just playing :lol: Nice fish and nice pics keep em coming
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 am

Thanks for sharing! You left out the all-important gps coordinates, though! Were these catch and release or catch and eat?
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Nice catch! Need to work on your hero shots though. Absolutely no smiling, ever! Need to look serious like it’s just another day for this American bad boy, suggest putting on some face paint that always helps. Just playing :lol: Nice fish and nice pics keep em coming

Hahaha. Man, if I can ever keep the smile off my face holding a fish like that, I should pack up the rods and just go sit in a hole in the ground till someone kicks dirt over me.I'd hate to lose that thrill :D :D :D

Maverick1 wrote:Thanks for sharing! You left out the all-important gps coordinates, though! Were these catch and release or catch and eat?

I'm primarily a meat fisherman but all three of those fish are still out there swimming as far as I know. The small mouth was out of season (I don't care what anyone tells you, cold water small mouth are easily as tasty as bluegill), I already had a couple 20ish inchers chilling on the stringer when I caught either of those pike.

And I tell ya what. I'm not gonna blow the spot up by dropping coordinates, but if anyone on here fishes the twin city's area in MN and needs a good shore fishing spot, you can hit me up and I'll put you on it. Heck, I'll go with you if ya want.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Geez that is a heck of a fish. Congratulations on the catch.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:04 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Geez that is a heck of a fish. Congratulations on the catch.

Thank you! I was a happy guy that night. Funny story. Before catching that big one I'd caught a couple mid 20 inch pike that I had on a stringer. Caught a 12 inch crappie after them so I added it to the stringer. When I was done for the night I went and pulled them up and one of the pike was chomped down on the Crappies head. No way he could have ever swallowed the size of that fish, but even being on a stringer wasn't enough to chill him out enough not to try. I love pike.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

crackehelmet wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Geez that is a heck of a fish. Congratulations on the catch.

Thank you! I was a happy guy that night. Funny story. Before catching that big one I'd caught a couple mid 20 inch pike that I had on a stringer. Caught a 12 inch crappie after them so I added it to the stringer. When I was done for the night I went and pulled them up and one of the pike was chomped down on the Crappies head. No way he could have ever swallowed the size of that fish, but even being on a stringer wasn't enough to chill him out enough not to try. I love pike.

Haha no kidding. I guess that’s why he will stay 20” forever! He couldn’t resist the bait!

I am pretty new to ice fishing. I started getting more serious about it the last couple years, but honestly I can’t get unhooked from looking for buck beds. I always beat up on myself when I am out ice fishing when I could be looking for beds. Either way, being outdoors I am happy though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”