A Crappie Life

• Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: A Crappie Life

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 am

Woowee a storms a brewin! Made it to shore just as the bottom fell out. We are gonna have thunderstorms all weekend it looks like. So this was probably my last trip til next Friday.

This is the kinda stuff I’ve been fishing all year. Gets kinda skitsy at times tunneling through it. But the good thing is I don’t have to worry about anyone else fishing it lol.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:58 am

Nice score Boogie!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:46 am

I had a couple fellow beasties text me and ask what colors I recommend. Figured I would just put it here in case anyone else is desperate enough to care about my opinion. First off, if I ever see a angler changing colors every 10 minutes I would take out a hefty loan and bet it all that he ain’t gonna do worth a flip. You need confidence in your presentation. Confidence comes from success but personally believe all this color yada yada is more designed around getting folks to buy more stuff than it is about catching fish. Any newcomer who asks me I tell them this.... Get you an orange, Red, or pink jig head and an all chartreuse body. That will work 365 days a year in any water color there is. Was the only thing I fished for 20 years.

Plastic vs feather or hair. I prefer feather/hair but it has nothing to do about fish catching. If you use plastics you need a lot of skirts. I can put 2 spare tied jigs on my hat and be set. Plus I wade fish, caring the plastics float out my pocket and leave me screwed. Only time I prefer soft plastics is when I’m fishing weeds. Weeds typically include moss which sticks to a tied jig like something fierce. I take a pack or two of soft plastics and pour in a cap full of cooking oil. Just slides through that stuff.

These days I base colors off of fun. I fish very shallow and like to watch my jig. It doesn’t catch more fish but it’s fun for me to see it going flying away. Muddy water I like an all pink set up. Medium color water I like a red or orange head, chartreuse body, and yellow tail. Clear water all white with blue head.

Just what works for me. Important thing is find something that works for you and stick to it!
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:20 am

Lord it did feel good to get a lil fun in today. Worked 56 hours in 4 days and I needed a break. Weather is awful with another bad storm coming tomorrow. Don’t know if I will get to go this weekend or not. Only a couple weeks left for the shallow bite and I hate to see it go.

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 am

Not even rain, high powered north winds, or frigid temps can stop the crappie flop. :lol: Actually pretty dang tough morning. I hate spring cold fronts, screws up everything. Was 45 out with a stiff NW wind when I left the house this morning. Got lucky and found a 10 yard stretch of bank that had em piled in pretty good. Before that I had fished for 2.5 hours and only had 3. Ended up with 17 that I plan on frying up 2nite! :L:

-John Wayne-
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 am

Good looking stringer!! How about some recipes?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:Good looking stringer!! How about some recipes?

Nothing to special from me. My go to is deep fried in seasoned standard yellow cornmeal. But if u got any Mexican grocery stores in your area u can pick up some masa. Basically corn flour, it makes the fish so lite! Prob is I keep eating lol. Hard to screw up a crappie. Back when we didn’t have no size limit I loved those 8inchers scaled and fried whole.

A Cajun gave me a recipe years ago for crappie cakes. Those suckers were tasty. But the paper I wrote it on got wet and can no longer read it. Very similar to a crab cakes but with flaked crappie.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Fresh Crappie fingers, jalapeño puppies with a honey/sage butter, hand cut tater chips, and a pasta salad. Yep.... was a good day!

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am

Was back after em today. Fun trip! Here’s the highlights....

-John Wayne-
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 am

Boogie I think you’re a terror on those crappie

Im no fisherman but that looks like a HAUL!

Congrats on the fun day man!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:38 am

Haven’t heard from you in awhile Boogie. Thought maybe while wading in the water Catfish Hunter gobbled you up. :D

Nice catch there. Good eatin’. :L:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Dewey wrote:Haven’t heard from you in awhile Boogie. Thought maybe while wading in the water Catfish Hunter gobbled you up. :D

Nice catch there. Good eatin’. :L:

Catfish Hunter is going down this summer! Did I ever mention for breakfast I have a big pile of bacon, for lunch a bacon sandwich, and for a midday snack.... Bacon! All these experts keep dying yet here I am. No moral, just enjoy telling that story :lol: :lol:
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:49 am

Went back to the same spot I fished yesterday. Figured it was worth another crack. Action didn’t drop off the least. Fun outing!

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:53 am

Yahtzee!

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 am

After a 7 day 96 hour work week I was in desperate need of some “me” time. God, it felt good to get back out there. Here’s the tale of the tape......

-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”