DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MedicineMan15

Re: DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Also, forums classifieds is the way to go to get quality gear at an affordable price. I was leaning towards buying a "so-so" quality pack, but found a mystery ranch Metcalf used on Rokslide classifieds for less than the so-so pack.

I also bought my tent used on Rokslide classifieds for a deal.

Other good classifieds resources include:
Hunt Talk Forum (run by Randy Newberg, great all around western big game hunting forum)

Elk 101 forum (which you can join after you sign up for the UEH course)

Facebook marketplace

First lite buy, sell, trade group on Facebook (sitka and kuiu have pages too). This is helpful because these guys and girls can help you with sizing and share experiences with gear before you buy.

Don't skimp on BOOTS! They'll be the most important piece of gear. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg, but get a good pair and break them in carrying a weighted pack on side hills etc. I ended up with cabelas meindl ultralight uninsulated boots and love them. Danners are another "budget" option. Same with Irish setter.

Merino Wool base layers are another thing I'd call "essential". I always wore cheap fleet farm long underwear hunting in Wisconsin. But I bought merino wool base layers before my trip, my life will never be the same. You don't need to buy the best hunting brands either. I have first lite that I bought used on Facebook, but I also have Black Ovis merino and it's really good as well. Most any merino will be good (hiking and backpacking brands pioneered this stuff and are cheaper than the camo brands.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m looking at buying a Mystery Ranch Pintler backpack.
Does anyone have one and what do you think of it?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:15 am

After my Colorado adventure - have some good base layers. Your outer layer just needs to be water-proof/windproof. You can either wear a heavier inner layer or a 2nd inner layer to beat the cold & snow you may encounter. Plus a pair of long johns is pretty light comparatively.

Get good socks to go with your good boots. I've been using Cabelas Ultimax. They are great and help keep the feet warm too.

One more comment on boots - I have Pronghorn boots uninsulated and they work great until it gets too cold (25 degrees or less in the snow). My backup boots were Gander Mtn 400 gr insulation boots and they kept me good hunting in the snow with temps in the teens with 20 mph winds. Same socks for both.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 am

Call recommendations?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:38 am

vtbuck wrote:Call recommendations?

Ever used one before? I started with a Primos 4 pack and two only seemed to work for me. Couldn't get consistent sounds with the others.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:40 am

vtbuck wrote:Call recommendations?

I got 4 diaphrams from Phelps. You probably need to get a few to figure out which ones fit your mouth. Also don't skimp on a good external reed cow call. I did and it sounded awful compared to my buddies with a wood bell on it. As far a bugle tube, I had the small Phelps and my buddy had on from Rocky Mountain Elk Calls. Both sounded good. The elk were real quiet when we were out there, knowing this now, I'd practice more with cow sounds than focusing on bugles.
camelcluch

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:02 pm

MR packs are well built. They will do everything you need. The only down side is weight. They are heavy but the construction and performance leads to that.
Calls are just like turkey diaphragms. You have try them to know what you like. Phelps, wapiti river, primos, Rocky Mountain and Carlton are a few of my favorites. I really like the Phelps tube but the Rocky Mountain tubes are good as well. Check Walmart for the Carlton call pack with dvd/cd. It’s a good place to start. Also throw in a bite call or two. Sounding different is always good. I would also highly recommend elknut’s play book. It will make sense of the calls.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Pulled the trigger tonight on a pack.
Bought the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.
Couldn’t beat the price. $350 tax included.
Looked at some Danner Pronghorn 400g boots.
Been keeping my eye on prices on Jetboils, tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc..
The suggestions on gear so far have been a huge help. Thanks and keep the info coming.
camelcluch

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 am

Good pack. For tents, look at the Nemo hornet, Big Agnus tiger wall and Big Agnus Copper Spur. Boot are personal but I don’t use insulation for archery season. Again, that’s a personal choice. The marmot never summer sleeping bag and Exped down 7 mat would be a great system.

Return to “Big Game Hunting”