Colorado elk hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

steve22

Colorado elk hunt

Unread postby steve22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am

Does anyone kno anything about the pagosa springs area in Colorado, any hot spots? Any areas to stay away from ? It will be an over the counter tag I think it's unit 77? Any info on this area will be appreciated, I will be hunting for elk, this will also be my first elk hunt, thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

steve22

Re: Colorado elk hunt

Unread postby steve22 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 am

Has anyone hunted southern Colorado for elk?

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm

steve22 wrote:Has anyone hunted southern Colorado for elk?

I have. I hunted up on Gray Mountain one year in the early 2000s, I hiked in a few miles to hunt a herd i had spotted from a drainage far off. I packed in my whole camp and planned on hunting there for a few days at least. Well, long story short, I had a group of 10 plus guys from TX come strolling past my camp at 430 AM to hunt those same elk opening morning of archery season. Much of my hunt was like that on the public ground I had keyed in on. I eventually took a small elk and called it a season. I don't recall the unit that was in at the moment.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am

Going somewhere you have never been is the best. I hunted CO elk in 97 and 98 solo DIY. Went first rifle season and didn't see many elk, but lots of old sign.

I hunted around Carbondale and Basalt Mountain. I think I was in Unit 43 Pitkin county. Think you are a bit south of where I was. Enjoy the journey, cant give much advice (sorry) other than take a camera, enjoy, and stay away from where I was.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
steve22

Unread postby steve22 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 pm

I just got back from my hunt and it was wasn't very good, I started in unit 78 near borns lake, to find 18000 acres burned this spring, so we left and went to unit 15 around gore mountain area, never seen or heard an elk and, found lots of old sign and covered alot of area, and put in the miles, kinda disappointed, but land to be in the woods with a bow in my hands!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”