Ideas for first big game trip?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Ideas for first big game trip?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:45 pm

We all drew our elk tags as expected. Two of us got bulls and one got a cow tag. We are splitting tag costs evenly and meat evenly. At least, that's the plan. We're assuming the cow should be easier than a legal bull, and each elk that we get will require a team effort for meat before going back in to try and fill the other tags.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Way to go - sounds adventuresome and FFFFUN!

Good luck...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:30 am

Good luck 15, sounds like a great trip. Elk out west and Ontario moose are at the top of my list.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:13 am

I know your plans are set for this fall, but I'm going to give you an atypical response. While a western big game hunt (elk or moose) is on top of my to do list, don't overlook a southeast excursion. A group of my friends go to Alabama every year for a backpacking hog hunt. After seeing and hearing about bucks taken in the area, a fall trip is in my near future for hogs and deer. The southeast offers very liberal bag limits and for the most part very cheap over the counter non resident license fees. It has been my experience that feral hog meat is the best table fare you can ask for. Good luck on your hunt.
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I have to say I'm a little envious of your trip. I hunted the same unit and season the last year I lived in CO. Shoot me a PM and I can give you a little info on our experience. Best of luck this fall.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:27 am

Congrats I hope your experience goes well. Some gear might only be needed for that one trip. Try to find used gear first go around or borrow. I am a RMEF member and volunteer and that group is awesome to/for their members. Bugle magazine is part of membership and gives good info. Never been out there but boy scouts took me to new mexico for a 10 day backpack trip....way cool trip.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”