Welcome Mike Mitten

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Longbow

Re: Welcome Mike Mitten

Unread postby Longbow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks for the great story and congratulations on a fine moose taken the hard way! I think there is a greater proportion of hunters here that appreciate that than average. Welcome aboard !

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Mike that was great. Solo DIY recurve Alaska moose - Well done.

Mike sent the pic the other night to my phone and I wanted to hear more. I could have just called him as I had his number, but instead I coaxed him here for my BEAST friends to enjoy.

Thank Big Daddy for Mike ending up here not me. Bid Daddy ran into Mike at a traditional shoot somewhere and they got talking about quieting something. Next thing you know I get a call and sure enough that was me that turned the Stealth Strips the wrong way on his hip boots (thank goodness, the moose didn't notice).

A few weeks later I get the pic, and Mike is here. Good thing the Big Daddy occasionally makes it to these trad shoots in addition to his retirement home meetings and his regular baby sitting duties of the grand kids.

You crack me Up Lou :lol:

Awesome to see you here Mike........Awesome moose :clap:

Glad the Stealth strips worked out for you

And Mike definitely is a big Dude........My first Question when I met him was " Was that you carrying those 2 bucks"
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:18 am

Awesome. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mittenm

Unread postby mittenm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes I met Big Daddy at Wisconsin Traditional Archery shoot in Wausau this. I wa stalking to some guys who did not like the hip boots I was breaking in during the shoot. Well, they are light, I thought. And they feel comfortable on my sore feet with better suport than other hip boots I wore on past moose hunts. So.......how to quiet them. I thought about wearing them next to my merino wool next to skin core underwear and then put my pants over, then got the idea from Big Daddy to call Lou for some stealth wraps. They held up good.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:28 pm

mittenm wrote:Yes I met Big Daddy at Wisconsin Traditional Archery shoot in Wausau this. I wa stalking to some guys who did not like the hip boots I was breaking in during the shoot. Well, they are light, I thought. And they feel comfortable on my sore feet with better suport than other hip boots I wore on past moose hunts. So.......how to quiet them. I thought about wearing them next to my merino wool next to skin core underwear and then put my pants over, then got the idea from Big Daddy to call Lou for some stealth wraps. They held up good.

You stealth wrapped your hip boots! :shock: Thats hard core man!!! I love it! 8-)
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:38 am

dan wrote:
mittenm wrote:Yes I met Big Daddy at Wisconsin Traditional Archery shoot in Wausau this. I wa stalking to some guys who did not like the hip boots I was breaking in during the shoot. Well, they are light, I thought. And they feel comfortable on my sore feet with better suport than other hip boots I wore on past moose hunts. So.......how to quiet them. I thought about wearing them next to my merino wool next to skin core underwear and then put my pants over, then got the idea from Big Daddy to call Lou for some stealth wraps. They held up good.

You stealth wrapped your hip boots! :shock: Thats hard core man!!! I love it! 8-)

Hey Mike - great idea. Can you still roll down the Tundra upper after you stealth stripped them? I've got a pair and like them.

Forum member DeerSlayer tried to order some a few weeks back and the boot is not offered anymore -- even though it got great reviews from hunters.
mittenm

Unread postby mittenm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Yes, they roll up nice. Please look at photo on page. I am wearing the StealthWrapped boot uppers rolled down on my calves. The boot flap from Sitka Gear's Stratus pants fold over top of the roll and hold evry thing nice and tight..... and quiet... and light. I heard that the quality control may have needed improving. I hope they get it together and get them back on market. Or maybe they are making them quiet from factory as I have done? Ha!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Mike, if you don't want to answer it's OK, but I'm curious what happened to your friend that didn't make it through his solo hunt? I didn't find the story on the website link to Wensels site.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mittenm

Unread postby mittenm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/solospirits.html Here is the link to the story I wrote. There is a chapter in my book as well.

You can also learn about Bart by watching National Geographic documentary "Tigers in the Snow." If you search it , you should find the show posted on YouTube.

Bart became aresident of Canada so he could hunt Stone Sheep without a guide. After a solo sheep hunt , Bart went on a two week solo moose hunt at Ried Lake in the Yukon. He did not show when the pilot came at designated pick-up time. The RCMP could not find any sign of him, but had to postpone search due to bad weather. Bart's friends flew into the lake from Alaska and did discover his bow, pack and bloody balacalava. His remains were found about a hundred yards away, but there was not much left. His body was consumed by bears and wolves. The cause of death is officially undetermind, but there is a presuption of getting killed by a grizzly. If you search Bart Schleyer you will find a lot more about his life and accomplishments. Mike
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 am

that was a great read Mike...thanks for sharing that

I really enjoyed that :!:
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 am

great reads mike! :clap: :clap:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

mittenm wrote:http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/solospirits.html Here is the link to the story I wrote. There is a chapter in my book as well.

You can also learn about Bart by watching National Geographic documentary "Tigers in the Snow." If you search it , you should find the show posted on YouTube.

Bart became aresident of Canada so he could hunt Stone Sheep without a guide. After a solo sheep hunt , Bart went on a two week solo moose hunt at Ried Lake in the Yukon. He did not show when the pilot came at designated pick-up time. The RCMP could not find any sign of him, but had to postpone search due to bad weather. Bart's friends flew into the lake from Alaska and did discover his bow, pack and bloody balacalava. His remains were found about a hundred yards away, but there was not much left. His body was consumed by bears and wolves. The cause of death is officially undetermind, but there is a presuption of getting killed by a grizzly. If you search Bart Schleyer you will find a lot more about his life and accomplishments. Mike

Wow. I just read the whole thing. That Bart was an amazing guy. Now your moose story has a lot more meaning to it...
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:12 am

What an amazing story of both an awesome hunt and a tribute to your friend. Thanks for posting.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 am

I missed this thread till now...welcome Mike! Looks like the star talent on the beast just got another boost! Stick around and share some more stories please, we would all love to hear them. Great story about the moose. An Alaska bivy bowhunt is something i am going to do in a few years, want to increase my experience with a few more DIY backpack hunts though first.

mittenm wrote: Image

That is freaking awesome. I once carried a big doe (not field dressed, didn't want blood on me and whats another 30 lbs LOL) out on my shoulders when I was a thick skulled crossfit crazy college kid just to see if I could do it, going over a couple small hills messed up my knee for a little while as a result. Haven't felt the inclination to try that since and its nothing compared to 300+ lbs of buck on your shoulders :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am

Very big fan Mike. I love your book and your writing. The idea of solo hunting has always appealed to me. Depending only upon yourself as well as simple time alone is awesome. This is my first year where I really trird to hunt traditional and it's been rough. Hoping to tag someth on something

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”