Wisconsin: Elk introduced into Jackson County

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Wisconsin elk reintroduction project highlights strong partn

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:13 am

Wisconsin elk reintroduction project highlights strong partnerships
Published by Central Office April 19, 2016
Contact(s): Kevin Wallenfang, 608-261-7589
MADISON - With year two of Wisconsin's elk reintroduction efforts now complete, elk from Kentucky continue to adjust to their new home in Jackson County.
The goal of this multi-year reintroduction project [PDF] is to work closely with partners to establish a second elk herd in central Wisconsin and bolster the existing herd in northern Wisconsin. The 39 elk trapped in Kentucky in 2016 will be released in Jackson County, while the remaining years of this project will focus on adding up to 75 elk to the Clam Lake elk herd that was established in 1995.
Funding for Wisconsin's elk translocation efforts is a result of key partnerships and support from the Ho-Chunk Nation, Jackson County Wildlife Fund, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and many other local partners.
"Seeing all of these partners come together with one goal in mind is really impressive," said DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp. "Everyone involved with elk reintroduction efforts thus far has been nothing short of spectacular to work alongside as we continue to achieve our goals and move forward on this exciting project."

Wisconsin Elk Release 2016 - Jackson County
Video Credit: WDNR
"Elk reintroduction will affect the local Jackson County economy in a positive way through tourism," said Jay Dee Nichols, a member of the Jackson County Wildlife Fund. "The elk project and this partnership have people excited to come and see these animals."
Prior to arriving safely in Wisconsin March 23, the elk were held in Kentucky for initial disease testing as part of a 120-day quarantine period. The elk currently reside in a quarantine pen in Jackson County, where they will remain until the quarantine period and final disease testing has concluded.
For the duration of their captivity in Wisconsin, the elk will receive expert care. Precautions taken include 24-hour monitoring, veterinary care and oversight, routines to limit exposure to stress, and daily monitoring and observations for any injuries or additional concerns.
In addition to the closed area surrounding the acclimation pen, individuals are asked to voluntarily avoid the general vicinity of the closed area until the elk are released. Minimizing human disturbance near the release site will allow the elk to adjust to their new home and will help maximize the success of reintroduction efforts.
To receive email updates regarding current translocation efforts, visit dnr.wi.gov and click on the email icon near the bottom of the page titled "subscribe for updates for DNR topics," then follow the prompts and select the "elk in Wisconsin" and "wildlife projects" distribution lists.
For more information regarding elk in Wisconsin, visit dnr.wi.gov and search keyword "elk."

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/article/?id=3588

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin: Elk introduced into Jackson County

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:22 pm

I didn't realize there were wolves in Jackson County. I shed hunted there in 2015 with 2 Labs. Glad we didn't run into any.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:17 am

SamPotter wrote:I didn't realize there were wolves in Jackson County. I shed hunted there in 2015 with 2 Labs. Glad we didn't run into any.

I bear hunted ther5e last year and got more wolves on baits than bears. They are surprisingly very thick in that area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:15 am

When I hunted over there it was common to hear the wolves howling every night. Walking up and down 4 wheeler trails the tracks were usually all over. Seemed like they used those trails to cruise and scent check for deer. Never had an issue with them but guarantee the elk will be impacted. The wolves will be eating good.

On another note I saw that Jackson County is being recommended for buck only this year. Sounds like the wolves are worse than they tell us. :think:
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 am

I've turkey hunted there for 10 years and wolves have Been thick for while, even called one into a decoy set while hunting with my wife

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:02 am

They are pretty smart too... One of my bear baits had a wolf pack there every day, in daylight. The only days they did not show where the days I hunted there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”