If you could only have one rifle for big game what would it

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grydsrt

Re: If you could only have one rifle for big game what would it

Unread postby grydsrt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

grydsrt wrote:Because I am picky, this rifle, GAP Xtreme Hunter http://www.gaprecision.net/custom-precision-rifles/all-rifles/xtreme-hunter.html#cr-gallery in or, 6.5 GAP 4s, with the Jewel trigger upgrade.

With this scope, Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56, https://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-zf-35-26x56-riflescope.aspx

In this mount, ERA-TAC 36mm Adjustable Incline Mount - 40mm/1.57" T2066-0022, https://www.eurooptic.com/era-tac-adjustable-inclination-mount-36mm-40mm-157-high.aspx

I am picky because I missed far too many shots with a brand new M-24 back in the 90’s that I connect on with a well shot SOPMOD M4 today (think 700-800 meters). I consequently refuse to tolerate inferior equipment.

The caliber because the rifle only comes in one. Lol

I should clarify the scope choice. "Rifleshooter" magazine recommends allocating 60%-70% of your overall rifle budget to the optics. Believe it or not finding a scope that is anywhere over $4k is not easy. Thus the only reason I picked this scope was because it cost significantly more than the rifle. "Rifleshooter" magazine are you happy now?

I should clarify the caliber choice because although I have not looked up the ballistics on this particular round, the 6.5 GAP 4s, I can say that 6.5mm or .260 caliber is all the rage these days in both hunting and accuracy circles. the reason the 6.5mm is so popular is due to it's higher than other caliber's ballistic coefficient or BC. BC is important because the higher your BC is the better your round "bucks the wind" downrange and bucking the wind is super important for longer range accuracy.

Thus, for those of us who do not regularly shoot beyond 200 yds this is not as big of an issue I can however tell you from my time in sniper school (SOTIC, now SFSC) wind is always a factor beyond 200 yds. In fact when shooting "E" type silhouette targets at 300 yds and further my sniper buddy and I ALWAYS had to hold off to the side of the "E" type to one degree or another. That is how large a variable the wind in medium and long range accuracy.

Therefore you only do yourself a favor by picking, for your one rifle ever, a caliber, the 6.5mm for instance, that bucks the wind well. Conveniently GAP has made that decision for us and ONLY offers this rifle in that 6.5mm caliber.

Also note, I am sending my wife a link to this post as it is my Christmas wish list for next year. Thank you honey!

alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:48 am

No way I am only going to have ojne rifle, one shot gun, one muzzle loader or even one hand gun.

I would give up cable TV, in fact I don't have it now and don't miss it.

I would give up the smart phone, In fact I don't have one now and don't miss not having one and people texting me instead of really useing their voice and talking to me.

Give up a fancey all gusseyed up truck and drive a old beater instead.

So I have a 30 gun safe for long guns that is nearly full I have like 4 open spaces right now. Rifles go from 300 win mag down to a lowly 22 hornet.

Shot guns go from a pair of Beretta silver snipes to a lowly 410 single shot.

:mrgreen: Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:24 am

Gun shops love you.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am

Not any more I have about every thing I ever wanted or need, Although I would still like a sporter weight Remington 700 BDL in 257 Roberts.

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:06 am

I’d go with a Savage 111 FCNS in 7mm. I have one in 25-06 and it’s the most accurate rifle I’ve ever shot. Adjustable trigger and AccuStock. Very reasonably priced.
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 am

alleyyooper wrote:Not any more I have about every thing I ever wanted or need, Although I would still like a sporter weight Remington 700 BDL in 257 Roberts.

Those of us who have one gun don't do it because we can't afford another one or twenty. It's just all we need. I only hunt for big game and the muzzleloader does fine for all of it. I have the option of hunting the muzzleloader season and the rifle seasons. I enjoy the old technology and a bit more challenge. Plus, blowing big clouds of smoke is fun. :D
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:56 am

Marlin 45/70 Model 1895SBL :D
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Glad I live in America and can have as many rifles as I want. My go to rifle is my savage 111 in .270win. also got a 6.5 Creedmoor and .243win. sold my .300 win mag. Got a few other, but those are the 4 I used for hunting purposes mostly of course the Mossberg 835 12ga has prob killed more then all of them except the .270.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Remington 870 with all the barrels leapold scope. it can kill everything in the world
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

If I had one rifle I'd like it to be a model 700 or clone. Most likely 280ai though I do have a soft spot for 308win. McMillan Edge with a #2 contour barrel finished at 23" with a 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 40mm scope. If it's strictly hunting, max 10 power would be more than sufficient.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am

OldMtnMan wrote:
alleyyooper wrote:Not any more I have about every thing I ever wanted or need, Although I would still like a sporter weight Remington 700 BDL in 257 Roberts.

Those of us who have one gun don't do it because we can't afford another one or twenty. It's just all we need. I only hunt for big game and the muzzleloader does fine for all of it. I have the option of hunting the muzzleloader season and the rifle seasons. I enjoy the old technology and a bit more challenge. Plus, blowing big clouds of smoke is fun. :D

That answer is much the same reason many guys have multiple. It's got nothing to do with need it's just part of the fun for them. Some guys enjoy the old technology, some guys enjoy the cutting edge stuff. Doubt it makes much difference overall just preference. And I'm sure each thinks the way they do it is better in whatever way they prefer :mrgreen:
Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:07 pm

I dont have one but that 28 Nosler would be a sweet round. Flat shooting, and enough power to kill big game out to 1,000 yds. I dont get to shoot past 70 where I live but if Iived where i had that opportunity, I think I'd have that one if i wanted to have long range options
Make It Happen
hoofdoctor97

Unread postby hoofdoctor97 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Browning stainless synthetic in 7 mm
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Swampbuck wrote:I dont have one but that 28 Nosler would be a sweet round. Flat shooting, and enough power to kill big game out to 1,000 yds. I dont get to shoot past 70 where I live but if Iived where i had that opportunity, I think I'd have that one if i wanted to have long range options

I have a 26 nosler (6.5 bullet instead of a 7mm bullet in the 28). It's a laser beam, but anyone considering either caliber should know they absolutely devour barrels. Like 600 rounds (or less) on a 26 and 800-1000 on a 28. If it's a rifle 100% dedicated to hunting, then they can still make sense.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:17 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I dont have one but that 28 Nosler would be a sweet round. Flat shooting, and enough power to kill big game out to 1,000 yds. I dont get to shoot past 70 where I live but if Iived where i had that opportunity, I think I'd have that one if i wanted to have long range options

I have a 26 nosler (6.5 bullet instead of a 7mm bullet in the 28). It's a laser beam, but anyone considering either caliber should know they absolutely devour barrels. Like 600 rounds (or less) on a 26 and 800-1000 on a 28. If it's a rifle 100% dedicated to hunting, then they can still make sense.

I didnt know that. Good to know!
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”