Binoculars

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Binoculars

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 am

No idea if this is the best offer currently, but I would go with these
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/vort ... oCyobw_wcB

I have the 8x32's and got eastern hunting they're phenomenal. Wish I could justify both sizes.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I finally went and played with some binoculars today...

I am not able to lay my hands on any serious glass around here - Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Meopta - just not carried by any of the local retailers (even Bass Pro and Gander), they favor vortex, nikon, and leupold. Just as well - the big names are out of my price range, tho' I found a few serious pairs in the $700-$800 bracket on-line.

Nikon Monarch 3, 5, 7
Redfield Rebel and something else
Steiner
Vortex Diamondback
Leupold McKenzie, Acadia, Cascades, Mojave and a couple of the cheaper ones...

I did not like the Nikons, Redfields, Steiner, or Vortex binoculars I looked through.
Was very disappointed with the Diamondbacks after all the reviews - the Vortex line really does start with the Vipers and go up from there. (I have a viper scope...)

The Mojave stood out from all the others I tried with clarity and crispness - IMO. It was easier to adjust focus between items at diff distances, read box labels, etc. Of those I tried, this is the one I could glass with for extended periods of time.

The Cascades were no. 2 in my book. Not shabby, a little darker than my top pick.
Acadia and McKenzie stood roughly neck & neck with the Acadias feeling a tad bit more "quality", not as bright as the Cascades.
Acadias seem to have some kind of seal issue as some of their reviews reflect moisture issues.

I would not feel under-gunned if I had the McKenzie 10x42 - it was a decent product and can be had for $100 on Ebay. No idea how it works in low light, but for daytime glassing it would do well.

There was a Cabelas Guide version of the Mojave on Ebay for $200 ($150 off retail), so I figured to try that on for size. At $350 retail, it is the same price point as the original Mojave, but not the newest HD version. Should be here on Tuesday if all goes well. If it doesn't look right, I'll sell it and just get the Mojave.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Give Maven a try. They only sell direct to consumer. Optically equal to Swarovski, 1/3 the price. They have a two week try before you buy. I did and was impressed. As far as I see for 500 bucks it's your best option. I actually went to my local sportsmans warehouse, and did a side by side against Swarovski. My leupolds and vortex don't see much action anymore, no kidding. Maven.com, tell em Troy Rizan sent ya.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 am

Funny you say that - I did find some information on Maven, Ila over at SWFA gave em good reviews too - same comparison to Swarovski.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 am

I would look at vortex or Leupold, both are good.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 am

I was in the binoculars market a couple years ago. I wanted to do like $500 or less. My brother talked me into the cabelas Euro 10x42 by meopta. I'm very glad I did. Although they are double what I wanted to spend they are unbelievable. I think I got them on sale for like 850$. They are definitely another league above the Nikon and vortex in the 500$ price range and I've side by side compared them with 2000$ swavorski and found the meopta to be more crisp. I figured splurge on the good ones and never have to get another pair.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:12 am

Grasshopper wrote:I was in the binoculars market a couple years ago. I wanted to do like $500 or less. My brother talked me into the cabelas Euro 10x42 by meopta. I'm very glad I did. Although they are double what I wanted to spend they are unbelievable. I think I got them on sale for like 850$. They are definitely another league above the Nikon and vortex in the 500$ price range and I've side by side compared them with 2000$ swavorski and found the meopta to be more crisp. I figured splurge on the good ones and never have to get another pair.

You are repeating what others have told me on other sites. The Cabelas Euro and Meopta Meostars are awesome glass for the price, standing with the big names.

Cabalas has the 8x42 Euro on sale for $700 right now. That's about what my WY license and trip is going to cost! :shock:
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:00 pm

What'd you end up going with Rich?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 am

I ended up with the Cabelas Guide Series - supposed to be Leupold Mojaves. Got 'em for $200 ($150 off) and really like them - I don't get any eye strain using them.

Haven't used them in the woods but did spend several hours behind them on a family vacation - watching fishing boats (1-3 miles off) to know where to go, birds, people fishing off a bridge 400 yards away, etc. Morning, noon, and night. It seems to have decent low light resolution but we did have some moon to provide additional light.

Just remember that I got these for 2 trips to WY, for antelope and mule deer. Don't really have any other use for them in FL/GA hunting.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:19 am

Out west, 12x and a tripod would be my thoughts. If you want to use them here in the midwest for whitetails 10x.

Voetex for your budgett
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am

I just caved and bought some killer glass for summer scouting and big field hunting-10x42 sig sauer Zulu 7s. Google them and read the reviews. Holy crap man- they're amazing. Just my two cents. I have a pair of zen ray ed4s and vortex 8.5x50s for sale if anyone if looking.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Awesome!!
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:11 am

gjs4 wrote:I just caved and bought some killer glass for summer scouting and big field hunting-10x42 sig sauer Zulu 7s. Google them and read the reviews. Holy crap man- they're amazing. Just my two cents. I have a pair of zen ray ed4s and vortex 8.5x50s for sale if anyone if looking.

Message sent on the ZenRays
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Vortex
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
kalielkslayer

Unread postby kalielkslayer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:30 pm

I only hunt out west and love my Vortex 10X50s.

I have Swarovski 15X56s but without the tri-pod, they are next to useless. Hand held, 10 power is the most I'd recommend. Even then they are good for finding game but for judging game at distance, in shadows, etc you have to hold them very still like sitting or against a rest. 12X is too much for hand held in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”