Breaking in to the elk world.

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Breaking in to the elk world.

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

First, I'm wanting to get into public elk hunting in Colorado. I have tried in vain to find some people to go with here locally. I wanted to reach out to the beast community to see if any of you guys would like or mind to have an extra guy come a long. I'm not sure if I could be much help with an Oklahoma trade/swap hunt but I'll certainly be open to discussion.

Second, I've been trying to build up approriate gear to do this back packing style and going on some camping practice trips here at home. I was wondering if any of you guys with experience would way in with some tips or lessons learned relative to needed or very helpful gear?

Thanks gentlemen.

stash59

Re: Breaking in to the elk world.

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:15 am

Careful it's very addicting. I recommend the Elk 101 site.

Link: http://www.elk101.com/

Also joining the "University of Elk Hunting" course it offers. It is hands down the best compilation of elk hunting info out there. It covers "everything". "Everything"!!!!!!

You may also find a hunting partner/partners from the forum. Haven't spent alot of time on the forum, but it seems like a decent bunch!

Good luck!

Chuck
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon May 22, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks for the recomendations Stash! I'll definitely check them out.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am

Check out Randy Newbergs Hunttalk forum. I hit it and this site daily. I'm in the same boat trying to get the gear and knowledge together to do a successful DIY elk trip to CO. There are always cow tags left over from what I hear so that is prob going be my first trip. I got a buddy that hunts CO every year and so i got a little leg up since he has a lot of the gear already.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
TravisIN

Unread postby TravisIN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 am

Me an a friend are looking into an an elk hunt in the next year or two also. Never been but have always wanted to go. We are just starting the process on figuring out where exactly. One thing we both agree on three things 1. We're going with bows, no guides, and public ground. We obviously won't be picky at all. A couple things we know we need are better glass and better boots. We aren't sure on lodging yet; rent a cabin/motel, or back pack in. Really getting started on the research. What are you guys thinkin about doing?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 am

Best wishes. It might not help much but consider joining the RMEF. Good organization that keeps adding public access out west. The magazine gives location info pretty regularly.

Rokslide is the website for out west. Similar to the beast.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
TravisIN

Unread postby TravisIN » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:23 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Best wishes. It might not help much but consider joining the RMEF. Good organization that keeps adding public access out west. The magazine gives location info pretty regularly.

Rokslide is the website for out west. Similar to the beast.

Not sure why you didn't think of that. Thanks
kalielkslayer

Unread postby kalielkslayer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:19 pm

You've gotten good advice so far.

If I was in your position I would also look at Colorado's website and look at archery success rates, herd numbers, etc.

Another tip since you have no preference points, apply for a point first, then an archery unit that is OTC second. Learn the OTC unit for a few years while building points for a better unit in the future.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Paul Medel.....nobody knows elk or knows how to talk to elk better than Paul, IMO!!! The guy is like the Elk whisperer. I was successful on elk twice in Colorado on public land DIY hunts and a lot of the credit goes to everything I learned on Pauls DVD's. He will even tell you and show you where to locate elk and how to identify those areas on a topo map. Very thorough with his DVD's

Here's a link to his website
http://www.elknut.com/
Hunt Hard or Go Home
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Went 2 years ago for the first time, otc either sex tag. It's all pretty self explanatory on the Colorado site. They even have a page for newbies.

Cyber scout and call!!! Pick as many areas as possible and call! Did I mention call? You can find biologist in the units if you do a little research and they will help. Also do research on past years harvests. Also join elk101.

Ok you found some areas, now look for guiding services! They also have free range of the public and pack people into spike camps. Much like we do for whitetails on public this can give a heads up on pressure.

Your pack! Do not cheap out on this one item! Research and get fitted! This will make or break you IMO which leads to the next...

Cardio and get some weight training. The elk area in some un forgiving areas. Brutal but beautiful. There is a reason for programs like train to hunt and a bunch of new hunter athlete sites.

The more prepared you are the better your odds, and all that work is soon forgotten when you hear that first bugle!

I just got chicken skin thinking of that first bugle.
backcountrychronicle

Unread postby backcountrychronicle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 am

Now you're talking my language...
There are lots of good resources out there to learn about elk hunting, elk habitat and elk units, but I think too many guys over think this.

If you wait to draw the "best" tags in the best areas, or wait until you learn all you want to learn before making the first trip, you may never get there...

It makes sense that most people from the east are looking at Colorado, but ignore other very good elk states.
Colorado is a good choice because it is closer, it does have the highest elk population, but it also has the most elk hunters (but doesn't have grizzly bears).

Obviously, everyone should pick a state and start applying for those coveted Limited Entry Tags, but you should also hunt the general seasons every year if you can.

If you DIY hunt on public land with general tags (OTC - over-the-counter), you can hunt every year and there are 5 states (Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah & Wash.) with OTC tags.

Non-residents have to apply for general tags in Wyoming and Montana, but there are many units in Wyoming you could draw every year and Montana hasn't sold all their tags in the last several years, so everyone that applied got a tag.

If you wait to draw that LE tag before you hunt (you will be lucky to do that in 10 years). You will be 10 years older, but will not be 10 years wiser. You will still be an elk hunting rookie.

When elk hunting, you should think about logistics first and tactics second. But if you are reasonably fit and healthy you can do this.

I mainly hunt by myself, so there are days I find elk, but don't shoot because I know I can't pack them out in a reasonable time (especially on a hot day).

The last two elk I did shoot, my wife was with me. (Yes, you should hear her tell those stories about how she finds elk for me), but the two of us (me nearly 60 and her 40+) packed out 240 lbs of meat from and cow elk, 2 pack frames, 2 day packs and my rifle ½ mile to the truck in 6 hours.

I hope this helps...
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 am

Good tarp,bivy,sleeping bag. Go to where the elk are. Good luck!
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 pm

I appreciate all the good advice.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Great advice given above. I'm looking to get into elk also, and can add a couple things not mentioned that I've found helpful. No personal elk hunting experience yet, so take it for what it's worth...

You can still buy a WY point through the end of this month if I recall correctly. It's $50 and gives you a leg up on this winter's application process if WY is in your plans.

In regards to Rokslide, pay particular advantage of the used gear deals on the classifieds section. I've outfitted myself 90% with like new top quality gear for about what I would have paid for cheap stuff at retail. Important to be patient and know what you want, then act quickly when you see it posted for a fair price. Good stuff doesn't last long over there.

Finally, listen to the western podcasts for solid advice. The early Gritty Bowmen episodes are excellent for gear and camping info. Anything with Corey Jacobsen or Jason Phelps is great for elk calling/ hunting.
Not all those who wander are lost...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 am

Bump.

I believe application time is coming up for CO? I am def putting in for a point and may try to hunt otc archery this Sept.

I have done so many diy whitetail trips in plenty of states but I will tell you I am struggling even wrapping my head around attempting a solo DIY elk trip... but I really want to do it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”