Breaking in to the elk world.

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: Breaking in to the elk world.

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Good hiking boots!! Elk move from one ravine to the next in a flash so never stop chasing them!!

I've hunted Utah a few times otc. Not sure about other states but I found hunting the general bull units extremely difficult. High pressure, and lower numbers.
The limited entry units that allow cows on the general tag were loaded with elk. Downside is you can't take a bull... I think Colorado has much more potential on the general units tho.

But if they get pressured, they will get in those thick nasty pines. Nothing better than getting in there and stalking after them

One thing that I found to be consistent. Every year we would glass them in meadows the evening before the archery opener. 50+... by the next morning they stopped calling and wouldn't come out the woods. Just a few hunters hitting the woods sent them into hiding!!

Fresh sign is key, they are here today gone tomorrow and might be miles away!!

Make It Happen
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:42 pm

I just moved to Dallas, TX from New Hampshire and have zero hunting buddies here. I moved for work but knew I'd get better access to Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc... If anyone is interested in acquiring a hunting partner feel free to message me.

New Hampshire and Texas are totally different in terms of public land. Big adjustment but alot of unique opportunities. Thanks!
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Application season is upon us.

Wyoming non resident elk application deadline is January 31st. Arizona is next if I recall correctly. Colorado deadline isn't until early April. Several other states are in that timeframe.

I'll be applying for WY and New Mexico, probably glory units that I'm highly unlikely to draw. Meanwhile, discussing between an OTC Colorado trip and a Midwest deer trip (possibly with spring turkey also). Shame time and funds don't allow a guy to take every trip on his radar annually :roll:
Not all those who wander are lost...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:27 pm

BigCedarJack wrote:First, I'm wanting to get into public elk hunting in Colorado. I have tried in vain to find some people to go with here locally. I wanted to reach out to the beast community to see if any of you guys would like or mind to have an extra guy come a long. I'm not sure if I could be much help with an Oklahoma trade/swap hunt but I'll certainly be open to discussion.

Second, I've been trying to build up approriate gear to do this back packing style and going on some camping practice trips here at home. I was wondering if any of you guys with experience would way in with some tips or lessons learned relative to needed or very helpful gear?

Thanks gentlemen.

check out gritty bowmen and watch all the Arron Snyder podcasts guys awesome for gear tips
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”