Alaskan opportunity. Thoughts?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Alaskan opportunity. Thoughts?

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 am

Rich M wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:Between the distance from family, the seasonal long/short daylight hours, and the expense of daily living I would expect it to be a tough posting. A posting at the pentagon would probably be less expensive.

Yes, the scenery and hunting opportunities would be awesome from everything I have heard and read but the reality is that would be a small portion of your time there.

If I was single; absolutely. Married with a family; nope.

Bob

Pretty much my thoughts too.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out a way to afford a 2-week fishing & sight seeing trip out there. That's one pricey trip.

Surprisingly my wife I think seems more excited. I've already talked to her about not being able to go home as often and missing family events so when that happens there isn't a surprise. I do have an aunt and uncle that live there so we'd have at least someone but she's dreamed of watching the Iditarod, seeing the northern lights and continuing to explore the national parks. The climate will be a change from KS but we grew up in northern WI so I think we can adapt. Might even mean we can bust out our winter gear we keep hauling around in totes because it's too warm where we've lived. :lol: I think we are leaning more towards it currently. There's some more info I want before we make a decision though. Thanks for all the input and I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I did a TDY to Elmendorf back in 2000, my take aways is its deff a place you wanna visit on your bucket list. But I personally wouldnt want live there for years. 1 I hate the bitter cold, and 2 whitetails are the only animal that really get my juices flowing. But if your are open to any kind of game to hunt it's a sportsmans paradise. And Alaska offers some of the best hunting and fishing the world has to offer.

Are you aware of any good hunting within a few hours of the base or would I need to get a bush pilot to get me to a more remote area?

I didn't personally do any hunting while I was there, but I talked to quite afew guys stationed there who went hunting all the time around there. Don't wanna lie to ya, I was only there for 2 or 3 weeks going on 20 years ago details are a lil blurry!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
GoetzC

Unread postby GoetzC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Surprisingly my wife I think seems more excited. I've already talked to her about not being able to go home as often and missing family events so when that happens there isn't a surprise. I do have an aunt and uncle that live there so we'd have at least someone but she's dreamed of watching the Iditarod, seeing the northern lights and continuing to explore the national parks. The climate will be a change from KS but we grew up in northern WI so I think we can adapt. Might even mean we can bust out our winter gear we keep hauling around in totes because it's too warm where we've lived. :lol: I think we are leaning more towards it currently. There's some more info I want before we make a decision though. Thanks for all the input and I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

To me it would come down to the job offer, how many years you have in already, your rank and opportunities for advancement and how set you are on retiring from the military...

I was in a similar situation awhile back and I chose to get out and take the job offer and comfort knowing I would be home to see my kids grow up instead of wondering if my unit would be deployed(they did)... looking back on it now, I would have had my 20 years in and could have retired this year, how crazy is that!?! Do I regret getting out - no, but I do wonder what it would be like had I stuck it out...

Unfortunately I cant' offer any insight on Alaska, I was only there for a layover on my way to South Korea, but what I did see was beautiful and I think I'd love to live there given the chance.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”