DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:46 am

So, I’m starting to put together a list of needs for my September 2020 diy archery elk hunt in Colorado. Any input would be greatly appreciated from fellow Beasts who done this.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:54 am

Rokslide.com
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:11 am

Elk101.com would be my first suggestion. While gear is important learning about an animal you are about to chase is far more important for success. Something like 10% are successful.

For me imo a properly fitting pack is the most important. Those mountains are not forgiving so the less to wear you down the better.

Count ounces and be in shape.

how are you trying to hunt? Being a beast member you know the importance of being mobile, same goes for western hunting. Are you setting up a spike camp? Are you bivy hunting?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 am

Essential pieces of gear for me this year were a comfortable pack, high quality boots, platypus water reservoir for in my pack.

Also get yourself a nice sleeping pad. A great nights sleep is really important out there to keep you going each day.

DIY sportsman has an elk pack list I think. Same with Randy Newberg.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:31 am

Rokslide is a good site to check for a list.

Do you know If you will be road camping or packing camp in. The equipment list will vary a lot with the latter typically being more expensive.

Elk hunting is a lot of fun. You dont have to be in great shape to do it but you should try and get into decent shape at a minimum if your not already as your hunt will be more enjoyable. It's a lot more physically demanding than eastern whitetail and this is coming from someone who hunts a mile into marshes.

Good fitting boots are my number one on all western hunts. Dont skimp on boots as poor fitting boots will ruin a hunt real fast.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:05 am

I haven't elk hunted but did high country mule deer this year, backpacked in and stayed right around 10K'. Are you planning on spike camping or truck camping? Gear will change a bit depending. FOR SURE a good pack that can handle 80+lbs, good boots and clothing layers. It can go from 20 degrees to 80 in a matter of hours in the Rockies. Merino wool base layers, a lightweight puffy jacket and some sort of rain/windproof shell will cover almost any situation and be lightweight.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Don’t over think the gear but there are some things you definitely don’t want to skimp on. Fist, hunt hat type of hunting? Car camp or packing in? Packing will require an good sleep system and you don’t want to be cheap there. Other than that he are some of the things I find important. First; boots. Find a decent quality boot. There are a ton of options and a trip to REI would be helpful for info. Second; pack. There is a huge difference in packs. They are not created equal and good ones are not cheap. Kifaru, Exomountain and Stone Glacier are all nice and can be used for eastern hunting with some mods. Third; glass. Binos and rangefinder plain a simple. 10’s and 12’s are good but if you have a nice pair 8’s, they work. Fourth; rain gear. Get a good set, no frog toggs. Nothing ends a hunt faster than rain soaked gear that doesn’t dry out. Fifth; trekking poles. Costco has a good set for $30. They are a life saver when you have 80-100# on your back. Last; positivity. For clothes the only thing I would say is, no cotton. You probably have good clothes that work. Spend money else where. Hunting is hard no matter where but the mountain can be tough. Stay positive and have fun. Remember, you are not in charge. The mountain will kick your but it’s just a matter of when. You have to embrace the suck and roll with whatever comes your way. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Good luck!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 am

I’ve been looking at packs. Our tentative plan is to pack in and base camp in a few different spots over 2 weeks.
I’d love to know what pack everyone has used and what you liked and disliked about it?
Clothing and boots I can handle on my own but the bigger items that I’m not as familiar with I’d like your insight on?
It’s been 25 years since I’ve hiked/camped in the mountains. I was 14.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 pm

vtbuck wrote:I’ve been looking at packs. Our tentative plan is to pack in and base camp in a few different spots over 2 weeks.
I’d love to know what pack everyone has used and what you liked and disliked about it?
Clothing and boots I can handle on my own but the bigger items that I’m not as familiar with I’d like your insight on?

I've used the eberlestock x2 and exo mountains 5500. The exo is awesome and my favorite of then two. It is lighter than similar packs and is built by back country hunters for back country hunters. It has all the storage pockets where I want em and nothing I dont really need. Titanium frame and tou can pack meat between the bag and frame to place it closer to your body.

The eberlestock is still a nice pack just packs meat on outside or in bag. It doesn't expand as much as my exo so it doesn't hold as much gear.

When looking at packs pay attention to weight and how it hauls meat. Exo is one of the best out there for back country hunting
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 am

vtbuck wrote:I’ve been looking at packs. Our tentative plan is to pack in and base camp in a few different spots over 2 weeks.

I'm running Kifaru Duplex Hunter frames with two different bags depending on the hunt. I have tested them to around 100lbs and they handle weight awesome. The pack never hurts, it just feels heavy. Whatever you choose make sure you get a tall enough frame to get some load lifter angle above your shoulders. You want most of the weight on your hips NOT your shoulders. The big three in backcountry packs are Kifaru, EXO and Stone Glacier. Also look into Mystery Ranch an SeekOutside.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am

Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Seek Outside all offer great packs. You pay for them but they are well worth the investment. Packs are like shoes, some fit better then others. It’s hard but if you can try them, I would highly suggest it. All of the these packs carry loads very well and still allow movement. If money becomes short, Kuiu does offer a decent system that can be found much cheaper and lighter than the others. Kuiu, however, does not carry heavy loads as well.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 am

I'm kinda in the same boat as you - did a 2017 antelope hunt, hoping for a 2019 mule deer/elk hunt. Rokslide is a great forum. Eastman's is another out west kind of forum.

My purchases have been stretched over a couple of years - spent some time looking for sales, end of season sales, closeouts, businesses folding (Gander Mtn went out of business near me). With some pretty extreme sales, I think I was able to get most stuff for 30-60% off. I had a budget and a list of "stuff" to get. When there was a significant savings I grabbed whatever it was.

Boots
Quality socks - Cabelas Ultimax for me
Breathable rain coat and pants - still looking for a good pair of rain pants
Rangefinder
10x40/42/50 binoculars
High quality knife and sharpener
Pack - I have a Horn Hunter Mainframe XL that I like.
3 different ways to start a fire
Cutting glove for gutting and butchering
Quick clot stuff
Israeli bandage/tourniquet
etc.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:28 pm

You may try the classifieds on Rokslide to pick up some of this gear. Things likes packs and niche items pop up on there quite a bit for decent prices.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm

camelcluch wrote:You may try the classifieds on Rokslide to pick up some of this gear. Things likes packs and niche items pop up on there quite a bit for decent prices.

This is a great place to look for gear, lots of stuff on there, and it changes all the time. Lots of packs, seems some guys change them out like there bows. :mrgreen: You can score some good deals.
PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:14 am

Foremost, my success has come from detailed hunting area research by E-scouting, phone calls, making connections, etc. I would put primary focus and time investment there. Better gear just makes things more comfortable... its not the root cuase of a bad hunt typically.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”