DIY archery elk hunt advise needed

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bio1

Re: DIY archery elk hunt advise needed

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:31 am

I’ve been backcountry elk hunting a number of times and my biggest takeaway is you better be in good shape if you are going to enjoy the hunt and up your odds of success. The terrain is tough and the altitude can be rough on a guy depending on how high above sea level you live.

I distinctly remember walking up on my first bull and thinking “what do I do now”? It’s humbling walking up on an animal the size of a horse laying there dead knowing you have to pack it out on your back! Get in great physical shape and you’ll have a blast. Don’t and you’ll likely hate it.

Good luck

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Bio1 wrote:I’ve been backcountry elk hunting a number of times and my biggest takeaway is you better be in good shape if you are going to enjoy the hunt and up your odds of success. The terrain is tough and the altitude can be rough on a guy depending on how high above sea level you live.

I distinctly remember walking up on my first bull and thinking “what do I do now”? It’s humbling walking up on an animal the size of a horse laying there dead knowing you have to pack it out on your back! Get in great physical shape and you’ll have a blast. Don’t and you’ll likely hate it.

Good luck

That is priority #1, I am working hard at the fitness part of it, but I have a long road ahead of me. One of the reasons for planning a trip like this was to help motivate myself a little more. I love how "beast" hunting/scouting makes plays right into this.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:31 am

Try and add some heavy pack days into your training. Throw 60# in a pack and walk a few miles. It doesn’t have to be on a trail or uphill. Just the weight alone works muscle we don’t use much. Here is where trekking poles are your best friend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”