Hunt Application Numbers

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Hunt Application Numbers

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:03 am

OK - we know that western hunts require preference points and such. Some guys were talking about the number of applications (All quota hunt types) received by COLORADO in 2019 and 2020.

They had 584,000 applications in 2019. They had 624,000 applications for 2020.

That's an increase of 40,000 hunt applications in one year - and a year where out of state travel is iffy. Incredible.

Just an explanation as to why the point creep keeps happening...

PK_
500 Club

Re: Hunt Application Numbers

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:42 am

I’m not surprised. Everyone I talk to in person is pretty much acting like life is going to pick right back up where it left off...

Wonder what it will look like next year.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 am

PK_ wrote:I’m not surprised. Everyone I talk to in person is pretty much acting like life is going to pick right back up where it left off...

I gotta say that I'm not as optimistic as those folks.

Hopefully things resume and if things need to change, then they are able to change em. I'm referring to restaurants and such - how many of those will survive without some form of modification?

The hunting point thing is distracting cause it causes us to focus on the points and what hunts we can do with how many points. Never thought to see how many players enter the game every year.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 am

Rich M wrote:
PK_ wrote:I’m not surprised. Everyone I talk to in person is pretty much acting like life is going to pick right back up where it left off...

I gotta say that I'm not as optimistic as those folks.

Hopefully things resume and if things need to change, then they are able to change em. I'm referring to restaurants and such - how many of those will survive without some form of modification?

The hunting point thing is distracting cause it causes us to focus on the points and what hunts we can do with how many points. Never thought to see how many players enter the game every year.

Can you post a link to the CO numbers?

I'm also not as optimistic as some folks.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:59 am

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Page ... -Deer.aspx

Some fellow had a photo of his screen with last year's and this years application numbers for all critters - in my quick search on the p&W website, I didn't find it.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:31 am

Rich M wrote:https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Deer.aspx

Some fellow had a photo of his screen with last year's and this years application numbers for all critters - in my quick search on the p&W website, I didn't find it.

I found it on Hunttalk in the Tags, Applications, and Drawings.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:35 am

I was going to put in for a Kansas tag this year and put in for a preference point instead. Out of state hunts can wait a year.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:36 am

DhD wrote:I was going to put in for a Kansas tag this year and put in for a preference point instead. Out of state hunts can wait a year.

Exactly. Well, honestly I will very likely hunt out of state this fall unless things are real bad. But I will be sticking to the southeast or east coast most likely.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:48 am

Applications for some states hasn't even opened yet. I'm betting if this drags out any longer with people being out of work many will pass on any tag they might be able to get and only take a preference point till next year. I'm still buying my Iowa tag no matter what happens with four points this year as long as they still let me come there.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:49 am

I'm too far away and have way too much invested in my Western hunts to risk buying a tag that might not be use-able.

Was of the mindset that if there were leftover tags, I might grab one and drag dad off on a road trip adventure but after seeing CO's applications increase, I'd feel comfortable putting a paycheck down that the other state tags will increase as well. Lots of folks willing to risk it - I hope the gamble pays off.

The idea of applying for a sure thing hunt down here crossed my mind and then I said no way am I wasting several years worth of preference points on a very crowded hunt area that I've not seen a deer while hunting on. Hitting for the fence and hoping one of the permits comes thru.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:49 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Rich M wrote:https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Deer.aspx

I found it on Hunttalk in the Tags, Applications, and Drawings.

I saw it on Eastmans. For whatever reason I don't spend much time on hunttalk.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:39 pm

That’s counting the guys that just bought preference points in CO too.

Also CO swapped a bunch of OTC units to draw, so all those OTC guys had to apply to hunt their same units they normally just pick up OTC. That’s a very big chunk just right there.

I’m waiting to see what happens with New Mexico before I plan out my year. Even though I’m sure I’ll get the usual unsuccessful.

I was going to put in for Kansas but I think I may wait until next year. I’ll probably put in for a hard to draw deer and sheep tag in AZ. I already have the license and it’s like $15 to apply.

I really dropped the ball this year in WY though. I had the points for a general tag but didn’t put in.. not sure what I’m going to do with WY going forward.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:26 am

My two oldest boys will be hunting antelope in wy this year.
One buck tag one doe tag
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:16 am

I think alot of it is more people are catching on to how to hunt out of state on a budget.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:38 am

I too wonder if the interest in out of state hunts will change. I used to hunt MT for elk coming out of the great recession (2009) and there used to be left over tags for several years as they couldn't get 17k non residents to apply. As the economy has been strong since then, the lottery is oversubscribed every year as more people have started applying. Seems like if the economy struggles for long, people will lose interest in spending the money on gas/lodging/tags.. I've been buying points the last few years while my kids are tiny, but they are now getting old enough that mom will let me disappear for a week at a time. WY/MT/CO Elk & Antelope and IA deer are on deck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”