Anyone else have an "irrational" fear of snakes?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stan Lamont

Re: Anyone else have an "irrational" fear of snakes?

Unread postby Stan Lamont » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I have a very rational fear and intense dislike for all snakes.I realize they do a lot of good things for the environment ,my thing is just do it somewhere else when I'm around.I won't bother them if they don't bother me!

eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:55 pm

NO irrational fear just dont like getting suprised :o
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Timber rattelers are NASTY critters....... :D

One fellow around here has cattle, he had a pasture with some timber in it.

The rattelers kept killing cows....he had to stop using that pasture and start making hay off of it.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:46 am

This is a older post that i missed somehow.

A: No. But... Anything can startle me for a moment. I have had grouse make my heart skip a beat more than once. Once that split second of recognition is over, that's it. Even then I wouldn't call it fear, just short blerp of uncertainty. No flight mechanism kicks in.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Nope I love snakes.I go looking for them
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Badger wrote:Nope I love snakes.I go looking for them

Your welcome here.......you can walk with me and look out for snakes so I can concentrate on other things. :mrgreen:
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Zap wrote:

Your welcome here.......you can walk with me and look out for snakes so I can concentrate on other things. :mrgreen:

Anytime man.I don't mind taking point as long as you don't laugh at me for having a irrational fear of heights or I should say falling because I actually like the heights it's the falling to my death part that gets to me..lol.I just soldier on in the name of the game though.conquer and overcome.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Badger wrote:
Zap wrote:

Anytime man.I don't mind taking point as long as you don't laugh at me for having a irrational fear of heights or I should say falling because I actually like the heights it's the falling to my death part that gets to me..lol.I just soldier on in the name of the game though.conquer and overcome.

faer of height can be overcome by starting low and slowly going higher.
It takes a while, but you can get over it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:46 am

I like snakes they eat rodents and bugs. I hate mice and rats and extraneous bugs. I hope they eat ticks but don't know for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Best kind of snake is a dead snake. My best friend and his older brother would catch these grey with orange bellied snakes and hang them in my face every time they saw them. I hate snakes. They make me scream like a little ....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Unread postby evangorp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:39 pm

My uncle chased me around with snakes when I was little, ever since can't stand then, and may even climb up a tree to get away from them. Just sayin!!!
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 pm

I wouldn't say I fear snakes but I don't like them either. They have a place killing other little critters i don't like so that's good. However I don't touch, play with, pick up or look for them except to avoid them.

2 quick stories. When i was stationed at fort Campbell we would do some training in what they call the back 40. We just got dropped off by helicopter and were making our way to our hide site. We were a scout/sniper team of 5 guys. I had the radio on this exercise. My ruck/gear rifle water etc. weighed over 130lbs. I was 170 soaking wet. Yes i miss that weight lol. Anyway we usually traveled about 400 meters at a clip then would sit in a small circle facing out to pull 360 degree security. My buddy hit the ground I sat next to him. You keep your rucksack on so you can flee quick if you need to. You just kinda lean back against it and rest. Well as soon as I sat down I noticed a problem. I between me and my friend next to me was a coiled up copperhead...... Probably 18" from my side..... Problem is when you stand up you roll over and do a push up or someone has to help you up because of the weight so I was stuck until I could alert the team it was there. They helped me up and we beat feet for another 400 meters...

Another training cycle we had been in the field for almost 30 days no shower etc in the tn summer. Very stinky.... We found this rock quarry real small but real clean looking water. Yes we were going to bathe. However a baby snake think it was a copperhead was skimming across the top of the water. It was let him live or kill it and take a bath... Sorry for the snake but we were taking a bath.

Matt

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:52 am

Matt3 wrote:I wouldn't say I fear snakes but I don't like them either. They have a place killing other little critters i don't like so that's good. However I don't touch, play with, pick up or look for them except to avoid them.

2 quick stories. When i was stationed at fort Campbell we would do some training in what they call the back 40. We just got dropped off by helicopter and were making our way to our hide site. We were a scout/sniper team of 5 guys. I had the radio on this exercise. My ruck/gear rifle water etc. weighed over 130lbs. I was 170 soaking wet. Yes i miss that weight lol. Anyway we usually traveled about 400 meters at a clip then would sit in a small circle facing out to pull 360 degree security. My buddy hit the ground I sat next to him. You keep your rucksack on so you can flee quick if you need to. You just kinda lean back against it and rest. Well as soon as I sat down I noticed a problem. I between me and my friend next to me was a coiled up copperhead...... Probably 18" from my side..... Problem is when you stand up you roll over and do a push up or someone has to help you up because of the weight so I was stuck until I could alert the team it was there. They helped me up and we beat feet for another 400 meters...

Another training cycle we had been in the field for almost 30 days no shower etc in the tn summer. Very stinky.... We found this rock quarry real small but real clean looking water. Yes we were going to bathe. However a baby snake think it was a copperhead was skimming across the top of the water. It was let him live or kill it and take a bath... Sorry for the snake but we were taking a bath.

Matt

Someone got the bright idea of releasing Timber Rattlesnakes at LBL. That was several years ago. They're thriving there. It probably won't take long for them to reach Fort Campbell. You still there?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I still live in clarksvegas :). But no not in the army anymore. Great to hear thy released timbers....... Had to mess with enough rattlers in pa growing up. And those suckers got big.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I came Cross this article and thought about this thread.........

http://www.livescience.com/2348-fear-snakes.html

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”