Anyone else have an "irrational" fear of snakes?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: Anyone else have an "irrational" fear of snakes?

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 am

Here are some of my encounters with these evil demon creatures that have brought me to hating them:

When I was little I went down to catch the bus and in the bottom of the driveway there were two bull snakes either mating or fighting. Either way it scared the heck out of me

Around the same time a few years later, I was playing in the woods behind my house and was running around and nearly stepped on a 4 foot bull snake that was as big around as a beer can.

In my teen years I was fishing on a pile of rocks (stupid I know, and I knew I stood a good chance of seeing one of these evil ), and the fishing was good, up until I saw a big snake down in the rocks in front of me, I got so scared I threw down my tackle box and ran about 200 yards away, and it took me over an hour to get the courage up to go anywhere near rocks to get my tackle box back.

I was fishing in my early adult years and was standing on a rock that was about two foot out in the water from shore, I heard something behind me and turned to look just as the stupid 3 foot water snake tumbled down the hill and plopped down next to me on the rock, you have never heard a man scream so shrill!

I was fishing down by my local hot spot one time, and I was fishing and next thing you know 3 little snakes were around me, 1 on each side of me, I went to leave and had to step over a downed log to get to the car, and as I was ready to flee another little water or grass snake slithered out in front of the log I have to step over, after 15 minutes of being paralyzed with fear, I finally got the guts to take a running jump over the log and the snake, and I don't think I breathed normal until I was in the car going down the road.

And then there was the horrible experience with the prairie rattlesnake out west in 2010 hunting antelope, words cannot describe how horrible it is to have a venomous snake a foot away from you coiled up with his head out and rattling, he was darn lucky my pistol with snake shot was in the truck cause he almost got shot with my 30-06 as it was.

These are just a few of the experiences I have had with these evil monsters.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:48 am

Snakes don't bother me and I actually think they are pretty cool!

I had a similar experience like Brad with a Prairie Rattlesnake when stalking a mule deer. I came with one step of putting my foot on it! :shock: The rattler was not coiled up but spread out and sunning himself on a cooler day. I actually thought it was a pretty neat thing but most would freak out I guess.

Guess I would feel different if I hunted way down south with all of the venomous snakes they have in the swamps. The snakes we have around here are actually quite harmless.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 am

Dewey wrote:Snakes don't bother me and I actually think they are pretty cool!

I had a similar experience like Brad with a Prairie Rattlesnake when stalking a mule deer. I came with one step of putting my foot on it! :shock: The rattler was not coiled up but spread out and sunning himself on a cooler day. I actually thought it was a pretty neat thing but most would freak out I guess.

Guess I would feel different if I hunted way down south with all of the venomous snakes they have in the swamps. The snakes we have around here are actually quite harmless.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I bet they all respond to the 12 gauge the same!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:11 am

I like snakes and will not kill one period. They eat all the things that cause me grief.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 am

When we were kids me and my older brother Bill were camping in a friends back yard and in the morning Bill was in the tent sleeping and would not wake up so I ran home and got my "snake pit"
from my make shift zoo. There was probably about 50 garden snakes in it. Knowing how much my brother "loved" snakes I dumped them in the tent and zipped it closed.
The snakes all went straight for Bill, it was kind of cold out so I think they wanted the body heat... Me and my buddy's watched in amazement until they started poking around in his mouth and he jumped up screaming.. :shock: :lol: :lol:
He chased me almost a mile and I had to hide from him for a week.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 am

dan wrote:When we were kids me and my older brother Bill were camping in a friends back yard and in the morning Bill was in the tent sleeping and would not wake up so I ran home and got my "snake pit"
from my make shift zoo. There was probably about 50 garden snakes in it. Knowing how much my brother "loved" snakes I dumped them in the tent and zipped it closed.
The snakes all went straight for Bill, it was kind of cold out so I think they wanted the body heat... Me and my buddy's watched in amazement until they started poking around in his mouth and he jumped up screaming.. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't have lived through it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 am

dan wrote:When we were kids me and my older brother Bill were camping in a friends back yard and in the morning Bill was in the tent sleeping and would not wake up so I ran home and got my "snake pit"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AWESOME MAN ............
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 am

There's only 2 things in this world that I fear, needles and snakes!

Im with you GRfox, it's not really the snakes that bug me, it's the feeling you get when the catch you by surpirse. One of the marshes I hunt is LOADED with them. :shock:

Dan, that's a ballsy prank man. As an older brother myself, I would've made sure you payed for that one!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 am

uncleron wrote:There's only 2 things in this world that I fear, needles and snakes!

Im with you GRfox, it's not really the snakes that bug me, it's the feeling you get when the catch you by surpirse. One of the marshes I hunt is LOADED with them. :shock:

Dan, that's a ballsy prank man. As an older brother myself, I would've made sure you payed for that one!

Its been about 35 years now, and he still gets mad when that story comes up. :lol:
I posted it a long time ago in a post called "Greatest pranks" I think I will bump that post back to life, it has some funny stuff in it.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 am

well i do have to say im highly allergic to bees....yellow jackets the most ...i cant stand them like you guys cant stand snakes ...if i get stung by one i have literally 10-15 minutes to get to the hospital ...but i have my trustly epee pin for that......and yes i hate needle also
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 am

I freaking HATE snakes!!! Nothing else comes close to those creepy little things. I know its totally irrational but wow do I hate them.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:27 am

I am afraid of snakes...don't like them one bit.......probably stems from my mom being afraid of them...she's even deathly afraid of the little plastic linked snakes from the zoo

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 am

dan wrote:I probably have to much of a lack of fear of them... Maybe an irrational attraction. I always feel the need to catch every snake I see.

hhhhhmmmmm.....Someone should ask Dan about the time he decided to step in our Scorpions tank and get stung by the ugly thing.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
CowboyColby

Unread postby CowboyColby » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:32 am

I can not stand snakes it is the one thing I will admit to being afraid of. Now I kill many rattlers every year while checking cattle. But that initial sound of one rattling sends chills down my spine and I will run jump dive do whatever to get away from it until I can get something to kill it. I won't touch a snake. I dated a girl who's little brother would take bathes with his well I don't know what kind of snake it was a bald something. I would be afraid it woud go after my "inch worm" in the bath tub. NO WAY.

I HATE SNAKES
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 am

Snakes? no way....Yellow Jackets...heck yes! One nasty run in changed me
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”